BvS Geography of Batman v Superman

This is the one thing I heard from the panel I didn't like. They should be further a part. It feels right having them be equivalents of New York City and Chicago.

On Radio KAL Michael Bailey said back in the old days (maybe the Golden Age) that Gotham used to be over the bridge from Metropolis so guess this is something they've taken from the comics still.

They didn't. Snyder said that they thought of that on their own and is not sure if it was ever the case in the comics, adding that given the long history of those, if they dug far enough they would probably find some comic book where that was the case.

This is the one thing I heard from the panel I didn't like. They should be further a part. It feels right having them be equivalents of New York City and Chicago.

Gotham is too grandiose to be the size of Chicago IMO.

I mean if Gotham is a twin city to Metropolis you'd think that city would just follow under the protection of Superman?

I like the comic stories where Batman and Superman actually have to travel to each others cities and even take turns guarding them if the other isn't available.

It'll be kinda funny when in the Batman solo films to know that Clark is like literally next door the whole time. I guess he'll purposely ignore the action across the bridge? "Hmm bunch of stuff going on...I guess I'll give this one to Batman".

I mean if Gotham is a twin city to Metropolis you'd think that city would just follow under the protection of Superman?

I like the comic stories where Batman and Superman actually have to travel to each others cities and even take turns guarding them if the other isn't available.

It'll be kinda funny when in the Batman solo films to know that Clark is like literally next door the whole time. I guess he'll purposely ignore the action across the bridge? "Hmm bunch of stuff going on...I guess I'll give this one to Batman".

Batman will let Supes know to:

tumblr_mpue94Wwrw1sp0ltyo1_500.gif

I am curious to know how many miles separate the two cities

Just because two cities are twin cities doesn't necessarily mean they are within spitting distance of each other

Just because two cities are twin cities doesn't necessarily mean they are within spitting distance of each other

I mean define "spitting distance", twin cities are like what the name implies they border right next to each other. Either across a river or bay at times but still within the same metro area.

I just like the idea of Gotham being Batman's own "island". That seems defeated when Metropolis and Superman is right next door.

There seems to be a shot in the trailer where you see across a bay and you see another city. So they do look pretty close to each other.

It depends on what they meant by "twin cities". A lot of people refer to sister cities as "twin cities" due to their size and infrastructural similarities, even though the cities themselves are relatively distant from one another. Toronto and Chicago are an example of that.

I find none of this too revolutionary. I always figured that Gotham and Metropolis were East Coast cities not all that far from each other. I certainly never thought they were as distant as NYC is from Chicago. At the least I figured it was like NYC and Newark, at most maybe NYC and Boston.

Right next door or halfway around the world, doesn't matter to a guy who can traverse. The world in minutes, if not tens of seconds. I figure Superman will be taking areas not under Batman's supervision.

I always thought of Gotham being NYC and Metropolis, Toronto

Affleck said that people who live in Gotham and work in Metropolis take ferry to get to work in the other city. I'd say it's pretty close. I don't imagine people traveling three hours to work.

Yeah that's what I don't like.

It seems like they're setting up Gotham as a bad neighborhood of Metropolis almost.

Gotham should have its own full-fledged downtown finance district not act as a suburb to Metropolis. Or even the Brooklyn to Metropolis' Manhattan which is what they are probably going for. Gotham isn't a suburb or a borough it should be its own world.

It seems like they just tried to find a way to shoe-horn the world's of Batman and Superman literally together for this movie. Which will seem silly when we get to the Bat solo film/s.

Last edited:
I have mixed feelings about it, I think it can be interesting, but I also like Gotham to be its own full-fledged city and two cities to be further apart, for several reasons. Still, I am for "wait and see" approach on this. They obviously had some reason, now lets hope it is a good one and that it can serve purpose in other films as well, as one has to think about that when creating greater universe.

So basically Metropolis- NYC and Gotham - New Jersey or Gotham - Hells Kitchen on an island and little more further away

From the BvS trailer, there is a "bay" visible in front of batmobile/drone attacking the city below and you can see skyscapers with light on --look like Metropolis to me with Gotham's waterfront in foreground very much like NJ with NYC skyline in background:
E9GBV6o.jpg

Gotham getting burned up!

Last edited:
So is the fire burning Gotham or Metropolis?

I'd say Gotham. Though it looks more like some factory complex than city itself to me. It certainly looks like Wonder Woman and Superman are fighting at some factory in the trailer.

I'd say Gotham. Though it looks more like some factory complex than city itself to me. It certainly looks like Wonder Woman and Superman are fighting at some factory in the trailer.

Not sure about a factory complex although it could be but seemed more like just a big field or park or something. I probably have to re watch the trailer

Not sure about a factory complex although it could be but seemed more like just a big field or park or something. I probably have to re watch the trailer

I've been busting my ass trying to find those gifs. It's basically the one where Wondy clashes her bracelets and you see that energy bubble and at 3:00 when Superman is shown hovering with some huge chimneys behind him, right before Batman glides/crashes through a window. It doesn't look like they're in a city to me.

I think that it's just the waterfront/shipping area that got burn up as a result of the fireball sequence --the one that came after Wonder Woman smashed her wrist.

I think that it's just the waterfront/shipping area that got burn up as a result of the fireball sequence --the one that came after Wonder Woman smashed her wrist.

Shipping area is possible as well. Though I don't think that Wondy created all that fire (if it's her who created the bubble). Anyway, it didn't look like that bubble set anything ablaze. Though the sequence is rather quick, so it's really hard to tell.

Shipping area is possible as well. Though I don't think that Wondy created all that fire. It didn't look like that bubble set anything ablaze.
I didn't think that WW started the fireball --the first time I saw the trailer I thought that the fireball was some Lex experiment gone wrong.

I didn't think that WW started the fireball --the first time I saw the trailer I thought that the fireball was some Lex experiment gone wrong.

Yeah, the way these trailers are cut is often very misleading. It's possible. I am of mind that it is some kind of Lex's facility where they're fighting.

If NYC exists within the DC universe, then the exact placement of Metropolis and Gotham is problematic. :cwink: But traditionally, both Metropolis and Gotham are very large cities (vying for largest in the US) and both are located on the northeast coast. So being “across the bay” from each other isn’t major revisionism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"