The Force Awakens George Lucas Appreciation Thread

Maul being the main villain sounds dumb if I'm honest. I guess even Lucas struggled to find a new one after killing Palps.

TCW made me LOVE Maul as a villain, so I could've gone for that, but the pitch as a whole sounds a bit iffy to me, tbh.

Yeah, I mean....I would've loved to see anything that came from George's mind, but that doesn't sound like the mindblowing, visionary idea that's been hyped for so long. It just sounds like a solid Clone Wars arc.

At the end of the day, I think the story really ended very effectively with ROTJ. Continuing from there was always going to be tricky.

I do love the idea of shifting focus onto Leia, in keeping with the fluid chosen one motif that first applied to Anakin and was kind of adopted by Luke later on chronologically. Leia being the final chosen one that brings a galactic governmental balance bears out logically.

It’s important to point out that these are his old sequel trilogy plans. This information comes from “The Star Wars Archives: 1999-2005”. Lucas is merely recalling ideas that he had at the time of the prequel trilogy, he’s not speaking of the plans he was actually trying to do when he sold his company.

The version of the sequel trilogy that Lucas envisioned but was discarded by Disney would’ve been vastly different and wouldn’t have Maul as a central villain(he already brought him back in Clone Wars). Lucas had various iterations in mind on how the sequel trilogy would be. This is only one out of many versions of the sequel trilogy that he toyed around with.
You are very wrong.

Some of these pieces refer to picking up shortly after ROTJ. Surely that wasn't in those outlines.

I do love the idea of shifting focus onto Leia, in keeping with the fluid chosen one motif that first applied to Anakin and was kind of adopted by Luke later on chronologically. Leia being the final chosen one that brings a galactic governmental balance bears out logically.

Yeah this bit I quite liked. I'm always a sucker for Leia stuff.

Some of these pieces refer to picking up shortly after ROTJ. Surely that wasn't in those outlines..
That’s what I noticed as well which makes me quite dubious if this was entirely the plans he was going with before he sold to Disney. Other sources like the TLJ art books describe a different version of the Lucas’s sequel trilogy which had Luke with characterization similar to what was seen in TLJ where he was this reclusive, spiritually broken old man that would eventually get his spirits lifted up again with the help of a force-sensitive girl.

This, however, takes place after shortly ROTJ and has Luke trying to re-build the Jedi. This sounds like a good EU novel but a movie trilogy? Eh...

Last edited:
I guess we have to factor in the old unreliable narrator. Lucas could probably tell you 100 different sequel trilogy plans he's had over the years. I would be curious to read those outlines to see a more coherent pitch, but they will likely remain buried for a long time. Disney wouldn't want more excuses for fans to reject their content.

He was probably going to de-age them. Lucas was always about using SW to push technology to its limits.

George Lucas: “I don’t know [how the fight for racial justice impacts the Star Wars universe going forward because] I’ve kind of lost control of Star Wars so it’s going off on a different path than what I intended. But the first six [Star Wars movies] are very much mine and my philosophy sort of goes beyond any particular time. It’s based on history, it’s based on philosophy, it’s based on a lot of things, and the first three basically tell you how a democracy turns into a dictatorship and you end up with a tyrant – the Emperor. It’s very important where we are now in our political history. The other part was that in there it’s like…I purposefully – all the various colors and [[ed: video lags here]] aliens that live in that world – it’s a normal situation, there’s no real discrimination and the only discrimination is against robots. And we haven’t really reached that period yet. And I’m sure the robots will be able to overcome it because they don’t have the same feelings.” (October 16, 2020 / Melody Hobson and George Lucas – Virtual Speaker Series at The East Harlem School At Exodus House)

Classic Lucas seeing the droid as simplistic as possible. :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"