George Lucas' Revenge on Rich People

Read my comment again. I said "depending on". Not all poor people are thieves but you never know what unsavory characters might move in there.

Because all unsavory characters are poor people right? There's a whole bunch of criminals on Wall Street right now living in penthouses.

Either way you put it, you made a gross generalization about people with low incomes.

Because all poor people are thieves and criminals.

Seriously? Come on.
Seriously, they're desperate people if they are poor, depending on how poor, and low income housing doesn't really fix their circumstance entirely. It doesn't really have to be all of them though, just a few, and their surroundings are going to be a huge temptation. All those rich people have money and stuff, and it's highly likely someone may try to steal it. Most criminals are not bad people, they're just people who don't have many options. Criminals are not usually evil or mentally deranged. They're usually just not very intelligent and very desperate.

There are a whole host of concerns that come from low income housing and crime in a large one, especially since they often end up being perpetual half way houses. So the potential of bringing more than a few felons into the area is pretty high.

This is well intentioned, but misguided, and if I were his neighbor I'd probably have a few reservations about it.

Seriously, they're desperate people if they are poor, depending on how poor, and low income housing doesn't really fix their circumstance entirely. It doesn't really have to be all of them though, just a few, and their surroundings are going to be a huge temptation. All those rich people have money and stuff, and it's highly likely someone may try to steal it. Most criminals are not bad people, they're just people who don't have many options. Criminals are not usually evil or mentally deranged. They're usually just not very intelligent and very desperate.

There are a whole host of concerns that come from low income housing and crime in a large one, especially since they often end up being perpetual half way houses. So the potential of bringing more than a few felons into the area is pretty high.

Them being rich makes them a target regardless if poor people live next door or in the next county. It's just sad that the first thought is "Oh snap poor people are coming, hide the valuables". It's no different than when someone locks their car door because a black guy is walking by IMO.

Because all unsavory characters are poor people right? There's a whole bunch of criminals on Wall Street right now living in penthouses.

Either way you put it, you made a gross generalization about people with low incomes.
There are indeed many rich pension-stealing bastards out there running hedge funds and pyramid schemes, but you'll find very few rich people who will take on some high-risk low-reward crime like breaking and entering because they don't have trouble making enough money to afford something like a flatscreen.

Them being rich makes them a target regardless if poor people live next door or in the next county. It's just sad that the first thought is "Oh snap poor people are coming, hide the valuables". It's no different than when someone locks their car door because a black guy is walking by IMO.
If poor people live "in the next county" they won't have enough money to make a trip to a very rich neighborhood to steal something. Plus, it's a monumental risk. The reason poor people attack their own neighborhood is quite simple: they know it better. You can look in my window and see all the stuff I have in my room, you can't do that if you live two towns over. Crime is highly localized. There's a lot of hyperbolic rhetoric on the news that'll make you think some urban "thug" is going to role up to white suburbia and lay waste to it, but that's simply [probably] not going to happen.

Criminals aren't stupid, despite their lack of formal education, and they don't like taking unnecessary risks to steal. Going far outside your own surroundings is a huge risk. So by placing them in affluent surroundings now you give any of them the ability to survey the neighborhood, and if they get desperate enough they'll know exactly where they go and exactly what to steal.

Last edited:

You know what, **** it. You're putting words in my mouth. First you make it seem like I was saying ALL poor people are criminals, then you make it sound like I said that all unsavory characters are poor people when I never actually said those exact ****ING words, that all of them are those types.

You know what, **** it. You're putting words in my mouth. First you make it seem like I was saying ALL poor people are criminals, then you make it sound like I said that all unsavory characters are poor people when I never actually said those exact ****ING words, that all of them are those types.

It's what's implied. You're saying because poor people are moving in, now people have to worry about being robbed, correct so far right? So what am I supposed to take away from that statement exactly?

The thing is criminals typically are not unsavory characters, they're usually just as nice as anyone else, sometimes nicer. Most criminals I've known, especially the theives and drug addicts were hardly mean people. In fact almost all of them were overly generous (in part, I think, because they know they habitually rip off their friends and neighbors they try extra hard to gain acceptance) and they all seemed to want to do the right thing. The guy who stole my TV, for example, offered to pay me back (while maintaining he did not do it) - and, ironically, stole the TV to pay another set of people he had ripped off.

They're generally not bad people, they just make bad choices.

It depends on other demographics as well. Families with young children are less likely to break and enter. IMO it's mostly bored teenagers doing that stuff, because they can and they're bored. Unless the entire neighborhood turns into a gangland overrun with pawn shops, there won't be a place to unload the high screen TVs they steal. :oldrazz:

Also, they could have more police activity over there if they really that concerned about it. I live in a downtown area of a small city next to a major street. There is no gate, and I've met some semi-unsavory folks just one block over, and there are cheap strip malls and warehouses, not exactly the most neighborhood friendly. But my street is super-crazy safe. We've ever left our keys in the door accidentally overnight and nothing's happened. There are tons of cop cars patrolling the area. :funny:

It's what's implied. You're saying because poor people are moving in, now people have to worry about being robbed, correct so far right? So what am I supposed to take away from that statement exactly?

I agree with you, Darthphere, when people don't watch what they say, it's the IMPLICATION that gets bandied about. The "perception" of the truth is usually the one people go with, not the ACTUAL truth.

Figs, you don't have to say those EXACT words, it's how people read into them that counts. Watch what you say, think about it carefully, then write it down. You need to read before you post IF you don't want people to take something you've said incorrectly...
:woot:

It depends on other demographics as well. Families with young children are less likely to break and enter. IMO it's mostly bored teenagers doing that stuff, because they can and they're bored. Unless the entire neighborhood turns into a gangland overrun with pawn shops, there won't be a place to unload the high screen TVs they steal. :oldrazz:

Also, they could have more police activity over there if they really that concerned about it. I live in a downtown area of a small city next to a major street. There is no gate, and I've met some semi-unsavory folks just one block over, and there are cheap strip malls and warehouses, not exactly the most neighborhood friendly. But my street is super-crazy safe. We've ever left our keys in the door accidentally overnight and nothing's happened. There are tons of cop cars patrolling the area. :funny:

Yeah I was about to say. They're rich, they can hire more security. But then, security guards are poor people too so they might even be in cahoots!:wow:

They do though:huh: What's so hard to understand about this. Rich people generally do not commit pedestrian crimes. Some do, but it's highly statistically improbable that they will. Poor people, on the other hand, frequently need quick money in smaller sums, and they can't steal their money legally via the stock market. They're always going to go for what they know they can get. To put them in a high income neighborhood with lots of nice toys everywhere is like nose-f***ing a fat guy with the smell of apple pie. Once one of them gets behind with someone they need to pay it'll be easy for them to locate a house they can break into with stuff.

The area most likely is not zoned for low income housing, so honestly, this is probably posturing. He already knows the homeowners would not allow this, so it'll either be gimme my studio or call my bluff.

They do though:huh: What's so hard to understand about this. Rich people generally do not commit pedestrian crimes. Some do, but it's highly statistically improbable that they will. Poor people, on the other hand, frequently need quick money in smaller sums, and they can't steal their money legally via the stock market. They're always going to go for what they know they can get. To put them in a high income neighborhood with lots of nice toys everywhere is like nose-f***ing a fat guy with the smell of apple pie. Once one of them gets behind with someone they need to pay it'll be easy for them to locate a house they can break into with stuff.

The area most likely is not zoned for low income housing, so honestly, this is probably posturing. He already knows the homeowners would not allow this, so it'll either be gimme my studio or call my bluff.

Or maybe you know, they move in and live peacefully without causing any disturbances and just go on with their daily, low income lives. Maybe I do have a naive world view. Maybe I lived in too many poor neighborhoods growing up but I think it's a pretty ****** way to see the world where you automatically think poor people are going to steal my **** because they live down the block. I rather live in my apparent fantasy land then have such a cynical view of poor people.

It depends on other demographics as well. Families with young children are less likely to break and enter. IMO it's mostly bored teenagers doing that stuff, because they can and they're bored.
Families are just as likely to steal, and they don't do it because they are "bored", they do it because they need money and typically only have low paying jobs (if at all).
Unless the entire neighborhood turns into a gangland overrun with pawn shops, there won't be a place to unload the high screen TVs they steal.
They'll usually unload it in the community itself for whatever price they can get.
Also, they could have more police activity over there if they really that concerned about it.
Most likely they don't want that. No upscale community wants a lot of police activity, ironically because many of those rich people have hobbies on the side (like cocaine, marijuana, or just their personal lives in general) that they don't want the cops finding out about.
I live in a downtown area of a small city next to a major street. There is no gate, and I've met some semi-unsavory folks just one block over, and there are cheap strip malls and warehouses, not exactly the most neighborhood friendly. But my street is super-crazy safe. We've ever left our keys in the door accidentally overnight and nothing's happened. There are tons of cop cars patrolling the area. :funny:
It's because of the major street. Heavily trafficked areas deter crime naturally, unless it's completely under the radar stuff. Lots of eyes watching the area that are not simply police.

Haha, I grew up in Gary, Indiana which is pretty much the epitome of impoverished, and you even had people living in the same area making the same assumptions about their own.

What you did was assume that I think all poor people are criminals when I don't. In my second post I already pointed out for you that I had said "depending on who moves into". That means that it depends on who will live there, meaning there will probably be a lot of good and honest people there but you never know who else might move in.

The thing is criminals typically are not unsavory characters, they're usually just as nice as anyone else, sometimes nicer. Most criminals I've known, especially the theives and drug addicts were hardly mean people. In fact almost all of them were overly generous (in part, I think, because they know they habitually rip off their friends and neighbors they try extra hard to gain acceptance) and they all seemed to want to do the right thing. The guy who stole my TV, for example, offered to pay me back (while maintaining he did not do it) - and, ironically, stole the TV to pay another set of people he had ripped off.

They're generally not bad people, they just make bad choices.

I don't know where you live but that guy was in fact a rare exception.

Figs, you don't have to say those EXACT words, it's how people read into them that counts. Watch what you say, think about it carefully, then write it down. You need to read before you post IF you don't want people to take something you've said incorrectly...
:woot:

Yes, it's how people read into them, which doesn't mean they have to assume **** about someone because they actually read into what I said the wrong way.

What you did was assume that I think all poor people are criminals when I don't. In my second post I already pointed out for you that I had said "depending on who moves into". That means that it depends on who will live there, meaning there will probably be a lot of good and honest people there but you never know who else might move in.

Yeah but you can say the same thing about any neighborhood, but you didn't. The guy who moves in next door could be a serial killer. You specified poor people though so yeah, I didn't assume anything. It's what you said. Now if you meant to phrase it in some other way, so be it but again there really is no other way to read into that. At least Optimus owns up to what he said and is backing it up.

Well, if it balances it out, I feel every white guy that moves in next door is some kind of serial killer.

Well, if it balances it out, I feel every white guy that moves in next door is some kind of serial killer.

That's because all serial killers are white people. I hope someone doesn't assume anything.

Yeah but you can say the same thing about any neighborhood, but you didn't. The guy who moves in next door could be a serial killer. You specified poor people though so yeah, I didn't assume anything. It's what you said. Now if you meant to phrase it in some other way, so be it but again there really is no other way to read into that. At least Optimus owns up to what he said and is backing it up.

If that's what you want I'll admit to it and that's because where I live, statistically it's the lower class people who are down on their luck that have the higher criminal rate.

If that's what you want I'll admit to it and that's because where I live, statistically it's the lower class people who are down on their luck that have the higher criminal rate.

See, that wasn't hard.

That's because all serial killers are white people. I hope someone doesn't assume anything.
Statistically speaking serial killers are mostly non-white, lack a high school education, have no discernable motives, very rarely have M.O.s, and usually suffer from mental disorders or have a long history with drugs...oh, that, and they are almost all poor. The reason most people peg "white" as the classic serial killer is because of Hannibal Lector, who, as far as serial killers go, is momental bullsh**. Even the guy who Lector was based on, Albert Fish, was in fact quite stupid.

Statistically speaking serial killers are mostly non-white, lack a high school education, have no discernable motives, very rarely have M.O.s, and usually suffer from mental disorders or have a long history with drugs...oh, that, and they are almost all poor. The reason most people peg "white" as the classic serial killer is because of Hannibal Lector, who, as far as serial killers go, is momental bullsh**.

You know it was a joke right? Just making sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"