George Lucas' Revenge on Rich People

Assassin

Detroit's Reckoning
Reaction score
http://www.movies.com/movie-news/george-lucas-grady-ranch/7883
George Lucas' rich neighbors don't want him building a movie studio in their backyard. His response is the best thing he's done in years.

According to the San Francisco Chronicle, for four decades Lucas has owned a large swath of land in Marin County in the North San Francisco Bay and has spent the past few years trying to transform the ranch on it into a massive, nearly 300,000 square foot, state-of-the-art movie studio complete with day care center, restaurant, gym and a 200-car garage. His neighbors, however, have rejected it every step of the way. Despite the promise of bringing $300 million worth of economic activity to the area, the already-well off neighbors are worried about years' worth of construction activity and the additional foot traffic it will bring into their neighborhood once completed.

The local homeowners association has been such a thorn in Lucas' side that he's decided to abandon the studio construction entirely, issuing this official statement about Lucasfilm's withdrawal of the new studio:

The level of bitterness and anger expressed by the homeowners in Lucas Valley has convinced us that, even if we were to spend more time and acquire the necessary approvals, we would not be able to maintain a constructive relationship with our neighbors.

We love working and living in Marin, but the residents of Lucas Valley have fought this project for 25 years, and enough is enough. Marin is a bedroom community and is committed to building subdivisions, not business. Many years ago, we tried to stop the Lucas Valley Estates project from being built, but we failed, and we now have a subdivision on our doorstep.

So what is George Lucas going to do with his property now that he's tired of his rich neighbors putting up a not-in-my-backyard stink? He wants to transform the property into low-income housing, naturally, ending their official statement with this zinger, "If everyone feels that housing is less impactful on the land, then we are hoping that people who need it the most will benefit."

He's working with the Marin Community Foundation to instead construct affordable housing for either low-income families or seniors living on small, fixed incomes. In order to smooth along the development, he's already given them all of the pricey technical studies and land surveys Lucasfilm spent years conducting. And we think that's just great. Because if there's one thing rich people will hate more than having movie magic made in their backyard, it's poor people moving in.

Mr. Lucas, we may hate you for turning your back on the original trilogy, but our hat is off to you on this one. Well played.

haha I love this guy. :up:

Using poor people as pawns. Ah, to be rich.

Using poor people as pawns. Ah, to be rich.

Haha, that's what I was thinking. It's basically a big dick swinging contest. I love Lucas, but he's basically saying that he's helping ghetto fabulous people coming into the neighborhood to piss off his peers, not for any nobler cause.

Hey if you need housing and don't have a lot of money, you'll take whatever you can get. :oldrazz:

George Lucas uses poor people. It is super effective!

It's cool that Lucas is using his money to help people in need but yeah...he's totally using them as pawns for his rich people battle.

The Lucas Foundation is one of the biggest philanthropy organizations in the world. He does his part for education and low income families all the time. Including grants to the Corporation For Public Broadcasting.

I'm sure this is a win-win scenario for him.

:jedi :jedi :jedi

So what happens if the neighbors say "Okay, you can have your studio"? Does George say to the poor families "Sorry guys, back to where you came from."

So what happens if the neighbors say "Okay, you can have your studio"? Does George say to the poor families "Sorry guys, back to where you came from."

Nah, he'll just use them as extras in his movies.

Lucas has always been very charitable and philanthropic even if he is a p**** that only made the Star Wars prequels for their merchandising opportunity. At least some of the billions he made makes it to a worthy cause.

Maybe he can redo his decision/s ala a special edition style. :o

I love it revenge that is good but if they turned down his low income idea it would make them seem like a bunch of *****es lol

If there is one thing snobs hate its poor people in their neighborhood. Well played Mr Lucas.

Haha, that's what I was thinking. It's basically a big dick swinging contest. I love Lucas, but he's basically saying that he's helping ghetto fabulous people coming into the neighborhood to piss off his peers, not for any nobler cause.

Spite is the noblest of causes.

Anyone else think that this is a total dick move? If Ted Turner or Donald Trump or some rich person that people hate did this, they would be getting criticized like hell. Think about this: George Lucas is having a hissy fit because he can't have his way and therefore is using the poor as pawns to drive down his neighbor's real estate prices? It is all kinds of dickish and patronizing.

Im sure the "pawns" will be cry about it all the way to their new homes in george lucas' backyard.

Anyone else think that this is a total dick move? If Ted Turner or Donald Trump or some rich person that people hate did this, they would be getting criticized like hell. Think about this: George Lucas is having a hissy fit because he can't have his way and therefore is using the poor as pawns to drive down his neighbor's real estate prices? It is all kinds of dickish and patronizing.

That's the thing, if his movie plots were this good people wouldn't complain about how he's such a ****** director. It's a win-win for him. They didn't let him build his movie thing. Ok, that's fine. I like helping people so we'll just build some affordable housing for poor folks. Get them out the ghetto and into a nice neighborhood. Now, they look like *******s if they say no to this or fight back against it. If they let it happen, a lot of people get affordable housing. Lucas looks like a hero and gets his revenge in one swoop. Amazing.

I agree. Not to mention now the people have to worry about getting robbed depending on who movies into those low income houses.

I agree. Not to mention now the people have to worry about getting robbed depending on who movies into those low income houses.

Because all poor people are thieves and criminals.

Seriously? Come on.

Because all poor people are thieves and criminals.

Seriously? Come on.

Read my comment again. I said "depending on". Not all poor people are thieves but you never know what unsavory characters might move in there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"