Gerard Butler confirmed for an animated Black Freighter!

Here´s the article so you don´t have to go to the site to read it.

Empire said:
Gerard Butler Talks Black Freighter
Exclusive: On The Watchmen DVD extra!

It’s been rumoured for a while now, but Gerard Butler has confirmed to Empire that he will be lending his vocal talents to the animated Tales Of The Black Freighter short that Zack Snyder is planning as a companion piece to Watchmen.

The Scottish actor had been linked with a role in Watchmen for a long time, but when nothing materialised, it seemed likely that he wouldn’t be linking up with his 300 director on next year’s eagerly-awaited blockbuster.

But, when Snyder hatched plans to film the Tales Of The Black Freighter comic-within-a-comic that tells the tale of a castaway’s mental and physical deterioration and damnation as he tries to intercept a ghost freighter headed for his hometown, and include it on the Watchmen DVD, Butler’s name surfaced once more.

And, speaking to Empire just the other day, he told us that he had committed to the project.

“I’m going to do the voice of the captain,” said Butler. “They’re going to do it in the style of a Japanese anime and I’m totally stoked.

“I actually read the script before reading the comic book and I thought it was awesome,” continued the 38 year-old. “Then I read the comic book and it’s great. The little bits that have been added define it so much more. It’s very dark and there’s just something so descriptive and scary. It’s this descent into madness but explained in such a sane way that you totally feel it yourself. By the end, my heart was pumping!”

Although considered extraneous to the plot of the movie proper by Snyder and his predecessor, Paul Greengrass, Tales Of The Black Freighter is a story that deepens the impact of Watchmen’s main plot, mirroring the arc of a character we won’t reveal.

I hate anime.

But strangely, I don't hate this idea. I just sort of took it for granted that it would have been live action in some capacity.

I'm really happy that it's being done, but, why anime? Why not base the animation off of Gibbon's art? The anime just seems like a really stupid idea, an attempt to latch onto a fad, but I'm still happy I'll get to see an animated version of the Black Freighter at all.

Here's to hoping that some of it gets into the actual movie.

Anime just means "animation." There are so many different kinds of styles under the title "anime," I find it difficult to hate every single style.

Well, considering Butler said they're doing it "in the style of a japanese anime", I'm assuming he's talking about the goofy eyes, the abstract backgrounds, and those big tears that always seem to appear over people's foreheads. In all honesty I don't hate all anime, and I haven't seen a ton, I just don't think it fits with this project.

So we can expect to see this in July 2009. And now my mom will probably see Watchmen because she's a big Gerry Butler fan.

Well, considering Butler said they're doing it "in the style of a japanese anime", I'm assuming he's talking about the goofy eyes, the abstract backgrounds, and those big tears that always seem to appear over people's foreheads. In all honesty I don't hate all anime, and I haven't seen a ton, I just don't think it fits with this project.
he's probably mistaken. it doesn't make sense making it in the style of anime. it's a comic book. i figured it would just be some sort of limited animation mimicking the style shown in the original book.

he's probably mistaken. it doesn't make sense making it in the style of anime. it's a comic book. i figured it would just be some sort of limited animation mimicking the style shown in the original book.

Well WB has already done The Animatrix and Batman:Gotham Knight is only months away. I would've hoped for a Gibbons style animation but it still should be a good DVD extra.

yeah, but snyder said he still plans on putting it in the movie, and to have it look like a japanese cartoon, when it's clearly just a regular comic is strange.

Well I hope Butler is just wrong about the anime stuff.

That would be totally disgraceful: what has the Black Freighter to do with anime?

Ouch! No!

even aside from the fact that i despise anime, that style is so wrong for this on so many levels. it really bums me out that thats the style they're gonna go with. to the point, where i dont even really care to see it.

Blech! Hopefully it goes directly to the DVD where one can choose not to watch it!

even aside from the fact that i despise anime, that style is so wrong for this on so many levels. it really bums me out that thats the style they're gonna go with. to the point, where i dont even really care to see it.
My thoughts exactly. Nothing says 1985 comic book about pirates like japanese animation.

Squirrelwhat.jpg

It has to do with Joe Orlando and Brecht!

What are they thinking about? (If "thinking" is the correct word for the occasion).

I don't like Anime, but as long as its "The Black Freighter" then its all good!

I hate anime but that's not the point. Anime doesn't have jack to do with watchmen, watchmen's tone, plot, style, time, etc.

Out of curiosity, what do the haters of anime hate about anime?
The style, the look, the plots and dialogue, the over-the-top nature, its self-seriousness despite it's over-the-top nature, the movement, the character development or lack therof, everything.
I've never really seen anime that I liked.
Its basically all hentai with clothes to me.

lets not get into a debate on peoples opinion of anime itself, thats just a pointless flame war waiting to happen. but i think anyone would be hard pressed to justify anime as an appropriate style for the content at hand.

So you're saying all anime is the same. Interesting.

I don't think that's the implication to take from his post. You asked about anime dislike. He gave you structural criticism.

It's genre. It's supposed that all of them share features like those he pointed out, without being exactly the same.

I don't think that's the implication to take from his post. You asked about anime dislike. He gave you structural criticism.

It's genre. It's supposed that all of them share features like those he pointed out, without being exactly the same.

He said

"Its basically all hentai with clothes to me."

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"