Gerard Butler confirmed for an animated Black Freighter!

I REALLY applaud the inclusion of animation for this sequence. Very cool.
And Butler will be perfect... I'm glad he's excited, because he this character will benefit greatly from a super-intense performance. And I think Butler has already demonstrated that he can sell the whole intense take on a comic property thing.

lets not get into a debate on peoples opinion of anime itself, thats just a pointless flame war waiting to happen. but i think anyone would be hard pressed to justify anime as an appropriate style for the content at hand.

As far as anime being a "style," well, there are countless anime 'styles' out there, so maybe some of us are jumping the gun as far what's "appropriate?"

I for one wouldn't mind if it looked something like this:

S6-Bat_05.jpg

As far as anime being a "style," well, there are countless anime 'styles' out there, so maybe some of us are jumping the gun as far what's "appropriate?"

I for one wouldn't mind if it looked something like this:

S6-Bat_05.jpg

That style would be ok, but I really feel that it would have been cool if they stuck with Gibbons artisitic style. I also wish we were getting it before Watchmen comes out (maybe online or something). However, it will be very cool to see the story come to life.

That style would be ok, but I really feel that it would have been cool if they stuck with Gibbons artisitic style. I also wish we were getting it before Watchmen comes out (maybe online or something). However, it will be very cool to see the story come to life.
same here.

I can see where you're coming from. My guess is they probably wanted to get a "cooler" style that would be a bit more timeless and have some broader appeal. And keep in mind that there are dozens of styles under "anime," so we could very well get something that pays a strong tribute to Gibbons' style, just updated a bit and tweaked.

It suddenly came to me that no matter what comic book story they're adapting for a DTV movie, its all "anime", which, IMO is a crappy-style, They should use Gibbons art work as a reference and go from there like they did for JL: New Frontier.

I can see where you're coming from. My guess is they probably wanted to get a "cooler" style that would be a bit more timeless and have some broader appeal. And keep in mind that there are dozens of styles under "anime," so we could very well get something that pays a strong tribute to Gibbons' style, just updated a bit and tweaked.

It suddenly came to me that no matter what comic book story they're adapting for a DTV movie, its all "anime", which, IMO is a crappy-style, They should use Gibbons art work as a reference and go from there like they did for JL: New Frontier.

That would be fine by me. As long as they pay homage to the man who helped make it a classic. I don't want the captain looking like this:

1190211264547ti5.gif

I thought it would be pretty obvious what I meant by anime, given the nature of the thread. Guess not.

The style, the look, the plots and dialogue, the over-the-top nature, its self-seriousness despite it's over-the-top nature, the movement, the character development or lack therof, everything.
I've never really seen anime that I liked.
Its basically all hentai with clothes to me.

What they said.

I REALLY applaud the inclusion of animation for this sequence. Very cool.
And Butler will be perfect... I'm glad he's excited, because he this character will benefit greatly from a super-intense performance. And I think Butler has already demonstrated that he can sell the whole intense take on a comic property thing.
indeed. he can be a lot more over-the-top if it's animation. and that character was SOOOOO insane, so i'd love to see this as animation.

well all american cartoons are animated in asia, so asians can draw it any way they want. even if it's done by a traditional anime studio, they could mimick gibbons' art.

indeed

They're most likely going with the style of more realistic-looking anime like Cowboy Bebop or Ghost in the Shell - I'm thinking that they'll animate it in an anime style, but they'll incorporate the aesthetic of Gibbons' style in the novel. Basically, they'll just use anime conventions of animating the story - i.e. how the frames are set up and put together in sequence.

20040109-cowboy%20bebop.jpg

1.jpg

It was reported that Gibbons visited the set, yes? I'd think that whoever animates the sequence will respect his vision as such.

I think we're all getting to ahead of ourselves, I'm sure Snyder wont use a style that doesn't fit the tone of the film. Anyways, Anime or not, I'm at least thankful we're getting The Black Freighter to begin with.

Live action would be the best, and animation similar to Gibbon's art would be okay, but anime?!?!? No thanks. It doens't fit, and I just dont like anime in general.

Either way, i hope it's integrated into the film itself when it comes out on DVD. Instead of being a standalone feature you view in full, selecting it just edits it into the film.

Live action would be the best, and animation similar to Gibbon's art would be okay, but anime?!?!? No thanks. It doens't fit, and I just dont like anime in general.

Either way, i hope it's integrated into the film itself when it comes out on DVD. Instead of being a standalone feature you view in full, selecting it just edits it into the film.

Did you not read my post? It's actually a completely reasonable format - I'd imagine they'd use the artistic style of Dave Gibbons from the novel and animate it using anime-style animation.

Apparently you only know of anime as "Pokemon" or "Naruto". Although it's much more common to see stereotypical anime as these, but here is also much more to anime than those in the mainstream.

I hate the fact that everything is starting to be anime, because these "otaku" are starting to fall in to this fad because its "cool" and the studios are just trying to jump into this, truth is however, these "otaku" don't even watch half the stuff they mention on their gaia accounts and the studios are just trying to ride the wave.. in a few years this will be all over and we'll get good animation again.

I hate the fact that everything is starting to be anime, because these "otaku" are starting to fall in to this fad because its "cool" and the studios are just trying to jump into this, truth is however, these "otaku" don't even watch half the stuff they mention on their gaia accounts and the studios are just trying to ride the wave.. in a few years this will be all over and we'll get good animation again.

What are you referring to when you say "anime"?

While I'm happy we'll be getting The Black Freighter in some capacity, I'm saddened that it's not live action. Could be worse than anime though. We could have gotten Muppets. Those were cool in '85.

Anime a fad? What a laugh. It's been around since before *I* was born, and I'm probably older than most of you on this board. I grew up on Battle Of The Planets, TranZor-Z, Voltron, and Robotech. That was over 20 years ago.

It's here to stay, folks.

The only thing more annoying than the anime fad is the irrational hatred of the anime fad.

Wow, I didn't know they did an anime version of The Office, Jim looks awesome though.

Heh. I lol'd.

I love anime, but I actually think it's too realistic and glossy for Black Freighter, (in contrast to what some people here seem to think). Say what you will about character design, but in terms of the lighting and camerawork (or the animated equivalents thereof), and attention to detail, the higher-quality anime really works wonders sometimes. Black Freighter, by contrast, is purposefully... I guess, "low-quality" in its look.

I guess I should make clear I'm talking more about stuff like Cowboy Bebop, like someone mentioned, or maybe even Princess Mononoke (speaking of which, Billy Crudup voices the main character in the dub). Not the kiddy stuff which is purposefully goofy in look and tone.

i dont even like how anime animation "moves" so to speak. generally speaking, they all have this wonky almost surreal pacing to the movement of people and objects and stuff.

Im glad that the Black Freighter is going to be included, either in the film or on the DVD, but i wish it had been made in the style of Gibbons art work.
Japanese Anime is wrong for many reasons - it was not the style in Watchmen, and it would not have the been the syle of an American comic book during the 80s.
And it would also have been great to see Gibbons art come to life in animation.
I do like some Anime, but i think it is totally unsuitable for the Black Freighter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"