Iron Man 2 Get John Debney to score Iron Man 2.

F

FilmBuff2000

Someone out there has to agree with me. Djawadi's score was just plain bad for the first film, so hopefully they bring a more capable composer like Debney, who was rumored to initially be scoring Iron Man. That turned out to be just wishful thinking. It puzzles me that he wasn't hired, but with this one out of the way, hopefully Favreau will realize that the score for his movie was not that good, and he should go back to Debney, who scored his previous two movies, Elf and Zathura.

I didn't think Djawadi's score was bad. It just never stood out. The music that was in the movie played out well with the theme of the movie. Not every comic book movie can get someone like Williams or Elfman to do a movie... thankfully, otherwise it would probably all sound the same, but anyways... I didn't think the score was bad. It's not usually a bad score when Hans Zimmer is producing.

I didn't think Djawadi's score was bad. It just never stood out. The music that was in the movie played out well with the theme of the movie. Not every comic book movie can get someone like Williams or Elfman to do a movie... thankfully, otherwise it would probably all sound the same, but anyways... I didn't think the score was bad. It's not usually a bad score when Hans Zimmer is producing.

You talk about Williams and Elfman being the same?

Zimmer = every score sounds exactly the same; every score by one of his cronies sounds EXACTLY the same. Hans Zimmer hasn't "written" or "produced" a truly good score in quite some time. His last memorable ones have been "The Da Vinci Code" and "The Thin Red Line." Zimmer (along with James Horner) are the most repetitive composers out there. No real variety in their work whatsoever.

I'm not talking about lacking originality. If you watch Star Wars, or Superman, or Indiana Jones, you know that John Williams did the score. If you watch any Tim Burton movie, or Spider-Man, or Dark Man, you can tell that it's Elfman. They don't all sound the same, but they all have the same style. If you repeat that in every comic book movie it will get very repetitive.

I'd love for Marvel to get John Williams to score for their movies. Williams isn't suited for every superhero, but I think he should've scored for Spider-man and Iron Man, and Capt. America. His Superman theme is still better than most of the themes out there, and even a mediocre Superman movie benefitted from the score.

I'm not talking about lacking originality. If you watch Star Wars, or Superman, or Indiana Jones, you know that John Williams did the score. If you watch any Tim Burton movie, or Spider-Man, or Dark Man, you can tell that it's Elfman. They don't all sound the same, but they all have the same style. If you repeat that in every comic book movie it will get very repetitive.

Yes. But every single one of those Williams scores you stated sound completely different. They have a certain style or sound about them, but you can tell the difference between Indiana Jones and Star Wars. That's called being an auteur, or having a certain style. And Zimmer has one, albeit not as good as Williams or Elfman, but he has one. That's why his scores or a score from any of his underlings sounds the same. I dare you to listen to Zimmer's The Rock and tell me that it doesn't sound like 20 other Zimmer scores you've heard before. Now THAT's what becomes repetitive. Iron Man is no different. It sounds like a typical Zimmer score but this time with drums and electric guitar. I can listen to John Williams and Elfman all day because, yes, they have a style, but it's no where near the copy-and-paste that Zimmer utilizes in almost all of his scores.

I liked his score, but maybe after the success of the first film, maybe it will get better.

I don't really mind Djawadi. Sure, it doesn't have a recognizable Theme like Superman does, but I thought the rest of the score was great. Especially everything from the suit up, to the terrorist fight and Jet chase.

Yes. But every single one of those Williams scores you stated sound completely different. They have a certain style or sound about them, but you can tell the difference between Indiana Jones and Star Wars. That's called being an auteur, or having a certain style. And Zimmer has one, albeit not as good as Williams or Elfman, but he has one. That's why his scores or a score from any of his underlings sounds the same. I dare you to listen to Zimmer's The Rock and tell me that it doesn't sound like 20 other Zimmer scores you've heard before. Now THAT's what becomes repetitive. Iron Man is no different. It sounds like a typical Zimmer score but this time with drums and electric guitar. I can listen to John Williams and Elfman all day because, yes, they have a style, but it's no where near the copy-and-paste that Zimmer utilizes in almost all of his scores.

I do love both Williams and Elfman, and I also love Zimmer. My only point was that I don't want to go see every Marvel movie and say, "boy, that sure sounds like Elfman, or Williams". I like them, but I would enjoy hearing more than just a single style in the movies. Zimmer can do some great stuff too. I'm not a big fan of the Pirates movies, but his music in that was great. Gladiator has some pretty sweet stuff. His non-movie stuff is also really sweet.

I wasn't asking for a page long post of anti-Zimmer. I don't think that's what you were aiming your thread at.

I'd love for Marvel to get John Williams to score for their movies. Williams isn't suited for every superhero, but I think he should've scored for Spider-man and Iron Man, and Capt. America. His Superman theme is still better than most of the themes out there, and even a mediocre Superman movie benefitted from the score.
Yup those 3 would rock with Williams, hopefully they'll get him to do IM2, SM4 & Caps. Caps especially since Williams has a background with Nazi themes.

Djawadi's score may not be that bad, but I do wish IM has a recognizable theme music.

Djawadi's score was a bit better than I was expecting, but it wasn't so good that I wouldn't mind a replacement i.e. someone like John Debney taking over.

I thought Iron Man's score was okay. It wasn't great, but it had some good themes in it. I don't think Hans Zimmer scoring is bad, I just think it's overrated. It's a little too electronic/synthetic for me. Williams and Elfman really haven't done a whole lot for superhero movies, have they? Really, there's only like four mainstream characters' movies they've scored. Those two are great, but they aren't the only ones capable of scoring superheroes. I think John Ottman and Christopher Young, are pretty good, as well as others. Personally, I'm okay if there's just like 4 or 5 different people, who score superhero movies.

I just wish we could get a comic book super hero movie with a really big, huge, epic, iconic theme that you can you know hum.

Superman has it.

Batman has it.

Even Spider-man kinda has it.

But you know, Indiana Jones, Back To The Future, James Bond all these classic movies have these great iconic themes or marches that you would want these movies to have.

X-men 2 was a step in the right direction, but then it all got thrown out for X-men 3. BOO.

Zimmer always said about Batman Begins, that he didn't write a "complete score," for the first movie, because Batman wasn't "complete" yet. Now that he's in the second movie, he has supposedly "earned" a true score. Perhaps, that's what Zimmer's lackey in Iron Man was doing. In the end credits, when there was actually score (and not rock music), I heard little ticklings of motifs and themes, perhaps that what he was going for. Regardless though, I wasn't overly impressed with the score. And I must respectfully disagree with everyone up above who has said that Spiderman has a memorable score. I just don't see it. As a musician professionally, I'm trained to look for motifs, themes, parts that stand out in music. There's nothing in Spiderman. Even Elfmann admits that he doesn't like the score, and that he was pushed by Raimi to create a particular sound that he didn't agree with.

I'd be all for Debney to come in. It'd be a marked improvement, I'm sure. Djawadi's score wasn't bad per se, but it was completely unmemorable. The score was pretty much the only thing I didn't think was good in IM.

And I must respectfully disagree with everyone up above who has said that Spiderman has a memorable score. I just don't see it. As a musician professionally, I'm trained to look for motifs, themes, parts that stand out in music. There's nothing in Spiderman. Even Elfmann admits that he doesn't like the score, and that he was pushed by Raimi to create a particular sound that he didn't agree with.
Wow, I don't understand that. I've noticed a leitmotif, for every major character except, Harry(pre-Goblin), MJ(alone), and Eddie(pre-Venom).

lmao, I listen to the score religiously...having said that, the score was brilliant. This score seperates it from all other comic book movies, instead of orchestrated Iron Man's sounded more mechanized.
the score worked for the film and was effective, bring back Djawadi

I liked Djawadi's Iron Man score; I only wish there was some more focus on the orchestral elements.

^Agreed. I thought the violins and low brass, in Iron Man's score, was great. I just wish there was more of it, in the music.

I thought the scoring served Iron Man very well.

Thought it wasn't as operatic as what some people seem to want, it still complemented the scenes effectively, and that's the important part.

The music playing during the Mark III 'suit up' scene was just right, as was the music played during the flight over Gulmira . At no time did I feel like cringing when I heard the music playing during the movie. I'd be fine with Djawadi scoring the sequel.

And I must respectfully disagree with everyone up above who has said that Spiderman has a memorable score. I just don't see it. As a musician professionally, I'm trained to look for motifs, themes, parts that stand out in music. There's nothing in Spiderman. Even Elfmann admits that he doesn't like the score, and that he was pushed by Raimi to create a particular sound that he didn't agree with.
You might want to train harder or stop sucking at listening to music. Other than Superman and 80's Batman, Spiderman is the only superhero who does have a recognizeable theme (and the films have many other good themes), one that you can actually hum and that can actually be imitated when the movie is being parodied. The Howard parts of the Nolan Batman movies are also great, but yeah, you need to retire from being a professional "musician" immidiantly.

Also, John Powell's X3 score is the best of the series.

You might want to train harder or stop sucking at listening to music. Other than Superman and 80's Batman, Spiderman is the only superhero who does have a recognizeable theme (and the films have many other good themes), one that you can actually hum and that can actually be imitated when the movie is being parodied. The Howard parts of the Nolan Batman movies are also great, but yeah, you need to retire from being a professional "musician" immidiantly.

Also, John Powell's X3 score is the best of the series.
I completely agree. Superman, Spider-man, and Batman have the best scores. Althought there are other superheroes with good themes; like, Fantastic Four and the orchestral part of Ghost Rider.
John Powell's score was amazing in X3, and imo, the best. But John Ottman, and whoever did the score in X-men, were also really good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"