Ghost Rider gets a new creative team!

Ixnay Unbound

Civilian
Reaction score
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=134916

With # 20, the new Ghost Rider team will be writer Jason Aaron and artist Roland Boshi. While I'm happy to see a new writer come on board, I have to express disappointment in the departure of Saltares and Texeira (even if they are moving to Moon Knight, another book I enjoy).

This new writer seems really cool but I wonder if he is all hype or good story telling? I mean how many books can this guy possibly write at once?

It's a big bummer that Tex and Saltaires have moved from GR (that would explain why he hasn't commented on leaving it)...I really thought their artwork was the best for the series. I'm kind of worried of this new artist as well...can he capture the dark and gritty nature of Ghost Rider or is he going to be another Pop Mhan and more cartoony? (After all he did do work for the FF animated series right?)

It seems lots of the posts on that website reflect how much people hated Daniel Way. I believe his stories started off really good but so far this series has been one long 18 part story-arc that is always 'to be concluded.'

Jason Aaron's influences also leave much to be desired: "Saga of the Swamp Thing, action and exploitation films of the 1970s, The Exorcist 3 and the Bible" Looks like shallow, extremely vague, forgettable, and cliche are going to ring true in this series.

I'll give the new team the benefit of the doubt, obviously. But what I'm afraid of is that without Saltares/Texeira the book's sales are going to plummet into cancellation territory. Keep in mind, if this series tanks it will probably be another 5+ years before they'll try Ghost Rider again.

I'm definitely up for a new writer, but it is disappointing that we're losing Tex and Saltaires.

"I’m just looking to tell cool little horror stories with kick-ass action, and also to build on the character of Johnny Blaze, to give his story a little more emotional depth. I also want to put the “Rider” back in Ghost Rider, and take advantage of the fact that Blaze is the world’s greatest motorcycle stunt rider."

- Jason Aaron

*Sniff!* For those words alone I’m already set to loving this guy’s run. :woot:

While I like how “Revelations” is going, I just can’t stand Way’s horrid portrayal of Blaze over the past issues in his one-year run! Here’s to hoping that Jason Aaron will do a MUCH better job at characterizing Jonathan Blaze – the World’s Greatest Stunt Rider!!! :hyper:

I managed to find a picture of Roland Boschi's artwork on a french website, though I might need a confirmation from a Spidey Fan from France:

25tl.jpg

His artwork kind of reminds me of Clayton Crain, though I'd like to see more of his work to get a good understanding of it.

Here is a DC book with apparently his artwork in it (though I don't think he did the cover for it):

51J5YCRNRDL._SS500_.jpg

Link to the book: http://www.amazon.com/Big-Book-Weird-Wild-West/dp/1563893614

Synopsis:

Psychopathic killers calling themselves "lawmen" wandered the countryside, legally empowered to murder both the guilty and the innocent! Brain-frazzled cannibals lurked in mountainside caves, chomping on spit-roasted bits of former friends and enemies! Saloon patrons bellied up the bar to guzzle bizarre poison-laced cocktails in a desperate attempt to get drunk! And ghost and restless spirits roamed the plains, latching themselves onto passing settlers and driving them to insanity and murder...

Sounds like Ghost Rider material. :D

Link to the French message board discussing Roland Boschi's artwork:

http://forum.superpouvoir.com/showthread.php?t=4599

Ghost-Rider20-FINAL.jpg

I'm *assuming* that's by the new artist, though it could be by someone else signing on as a cover artist for the series.

Thats definitely somebody elses artwork. If you look closely, the first letter of the signature is a letter "G"

From the looks of his artwork (Spidey vs Juggy) , Ghost Rider will be really skinny and tall.

Hey Ixnay, definitely send some of your questions to me or post them on the topic I created in this section. I'm awaiting a reply from Gary's agent.

But what I'm afraid of is that without Saltares/Texeira the book's sales are going to plummet into cancellation territory.

My thoughts / fear exactly. I think some of the fans that cancelled it, because of their dislikning of Ways writing, would maybe return, if Tex & Jarv still would draw this book. Obviously that's not an option anymore. The only other thing, that i think would increase the interest in the Rider again, would be the return of Dan Ketch. On every second letter page or so, fans ask for Dans appearance and still he didn't appear. I have to admit, i don't unterstand which reasons Marvel would have to not bring him back. It's not like they're doing a second movie really soon.

My thoughts / fear exactly. I think some of the fans that cancelled it, because of their dislikning of Ways writing, would maybe return, if Tex & Jarv still would draw this book. Obviously that's not an option anymore. The only other thing, that i think would increase the interest in the Rider again, would be the return of Dan Ketch. On every second letter page or so, fans ask for Dans appearance and still he didn't appear. I have to admit, i don't unterstand which reasons Marvel would have to not bring him back. It's not like they're doing a second movie really soon.

Because that would MAKE SENSE.

If they bring Dan back, they better bring Howard Mackie back too because he's the only writer who has done him justice.

God we fans are so needy. Shame on us. :oldrazz:

I liked the new GR stylish look.
Tex & Jarv are monsters, but honestly their work is very 90´s, everything in the new book looks exactly like the DK´s run, except for the bike.
They are GR´s masters and idols of us all, i believe.
But it´s time to move on.
Roland Boschi´s work seem to please us all, i just hope that doesn´t look so much with the cartoonish sytle of the infamous Pop Mhan´s arc.
Really hope.
But i don´t think it will. It looks more dark and gritty.
I love the new bike. It´s kind of medieval, agressive.
Johnny looks really cool, like he always should be.
Let´s wait and see.
Welcome Aaron & Boschi to our flaming world.
Best of luck.
We´ll be watching...:cool:

:ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: :ghost: GR4EVR!!!

i like the bike. it seems like a successful design of what pop mhan tried to go for. a cross between characteristics of the DK bike and the pop mhan bike. the only thing that bothers me is the handle bar. just noticed how it is and it looks weird and awkward. i dunno, whatev.

I really do not like the way he draws the skull, and it is a bit too cartoony with the exaggerated expressions...but then again, it's just one picture.

On the positive, if Aaron is a good writer as he is being hyped up to be, we might be able to tolerate cartoony art so long as the story's are really exceptional.

Boschi's artwork has some very cool elements, and I think he will draw some really fantastic characters and keep it creepy and cool as it should be.

In my opinion, I kind of thought Tony Moore's artwork was better suited for GR and he would have been the logical choice for me.

Roland Boschi's artwork:

GHOSTRV2020004_proof3.jpg
That is a glorious illustration. I need that painted directly onto my wall.

I don't see that as a cartoony. It is not hyper-realistic, no, but that is not really cartoony in design. Pop Mhan's work was cartoony. This feels like realism mixed with a personal style. But then again, this could be all due to the perspective of the illustration.

Going to miss Jarv/Tex, but from the samples, the art is not going downhill.

From the look of his art, he draws with little attention to detail, which means he is probably a faster artist than our old team. If that's the case, maybe we can fit in more panels, and therefore more pages?

I hope Aaron's comics are not going to be 19 part stories. I really miss the all in one comic stories.

I tell ya - this is such welcome news (not losing Jarv & Tex - tho it seems like Tex already jumped ship, no?), I can't tell you. I was so fed up with the story-that-never-progressed, and Way's obsession with rubbing our faces in "Johnny Blaze is an idiot hick", right up to the inclusion of "his lady Dixie" (I'm sorry... who?!?) That I decided to do what comics companies and creators who don't take criticism seriously when their books still sell and vote with my wallet.

So, for the first time in my 32 years on earth, as of 3 months ago I started not buying new issues of GR. This announcement turned me around, and I showed my appreciation by buying all the back issues I hadn't bought, since the new guy seems to be picking up where Way is leaving off. Course, I also bought Scalped, and couldn't get into it, but seeing as I feel about Way on GR the way most people felt about Chuck Austen on Superman a few years back, I couldn't mind less.

The art... I sense more than a little Pop Mahn, but I think so long as it's inked "gritty" not clean... it could be awesome. Unfortunately, they seem to be keeping the same colorist. I couldn't be less of a fan of the coloring of this book - it looks like it was done with Crayola crayons to my eyes, and GR (I think) needs solid blacks and deep colors, not this sketchy application. That's not to say I don't think this coloring wouldn't work well on another, lighter book, but I feel it doesn't service our boy well.

So that's my 2 cents.

Damn I am in love with his designs. Looks like it has a bit of GR2099 mixed. Just a touch. Nice gritty look to Blaze.

From the look of his art, he draws with little attention to detail, which means he is probably a faster artist than our old team. If that's the case, maybe we can fit in more panels, and therefore more pages?

I don't think he draws little attention to details rather he picks the best details for the scene. From the images in that thread you posted, he seems to focus on the important aspects of the dynamic scenes, and lets shadows play a heavy part in the atmosphere of the work. I like the way he's tackling this, and I think even though this is a different direction from what we were experiencing, it's something that will be good for Ghost Rider.

The art... I sense more than a little Pop Mahn, but I think so long as it's inked "gritty" not clean... it could be awesome. Unfortunately, they seem to be keeping the same colorist. I couldn't be less of a fan of the coloring of this book - it looks like it was done with Crayola crayons to my eyes, and GR (I think) needs solid blacks and deep colors, not this sketchy application. That's not to say I don't think this coloring wouldn't work well on another, lighter book, but I feel it doesn't service our boy well.

I agree, Way has not been my favorite writer. Although this current arc has been good, I do want something with more dialogue and better, faster pasing. Plus I'm tired of using arc when talking about the comic.

As for Dan Brown's colors, I feel they have a very painterly quality to them. Although some of his colors can come off too warm at times. I prefer this style of coloring over the type of colors that are more bold and loud.

I agree that the colors aren't that good either. Boschi's artwork is very vivid and very fluid, and very fast. The coloring method he used for the tires doesnt seem fluid. It is just like how the previous poster described it...photoshop copy and paste with no fluid fire or motion effects to show that the tire is actually spinning.

That I can't argue. They do look static.

I don't really post here but have been reading the forums for some time. I would have to say that I'm a GR fan of (with all due respect) Ixnay's stature (PS so glad your back and updating VU), and I'm surprised nobody gave this artist credit for drawing a great Blaze. Look at his face. This is the Blaze, as I recall, fans were asking Saltaras to bring back. This is the Blaze from the Midnight Sons era. This is the look that I think fit the character. Nuff said

I agree with blaze3x3 fully about Johnny blaze. I'm not too fond of the way ghost rider looks, it snot as "spooky" as I would prefer but more or less the artwork I'm more concerned what the writers going to do.

NRAMA: Without spoiling it, can you tell us about the first issue you're drawing?

RB: It’s all about angels, hell & vengeance with Johnny Blaze riding around in a strange area town in Montana with haunted roads…oh! And there are hot, sadistic nurses too!

I really hope the writer gets it right with the heaven and hell storyline. Ennis did a decent storyline, Way isn't doing such a hot job with it i.e. Fabio angels... the haunted roads sounds good. It reminds me of like an old 70's GR comic, but the hot satanic nurses?? If he can pull it off right I will congratulate him but I’m not really liking the sound of that part of the story

We'll see in a couple months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"