Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - Rate & Review Thread

I want Marvel to get it back too but I just dont see them doing anything with it. They havent done a dark or edgy movie yet based on one of their characters and I cant see them doing it anytime soon.

Hope I am wrong of course.

As someone who went into the movie expecting crazy Nic Cage antics...I got my money's worth.

I also saw this movie for free :o

I didn't see it at the theater. I bought the DVD and watched it a couple of days ago. To me, it was decent. I liked the first one more (I liked it's humor)....but this one wasn't as bad as some people act. I think part of it was, I was used to the story and mannerisms of Cage from the first one....so when they changed some of that, it didn't feel right to me.

I want Marvel to get it back too but I just dont see them doing anything with it. They havent done a dark or edgy movie yet based on one of their characters and I cant see them doing it anytime soon.

Hope I am wrong of course.

Half-assing it like Sony isn't the answer either. Just let the franchise die for a decade..I'd be willing to wait that long for a reboot.

I still wouldn't be opposed to this film series getting a pseudo reboot.. (this was not that), where Danny becomes the new ghostrider... it'd be less confusing then a complete reboot imo

Hell, I'd settle for a prequel with Western Ghost Rider. Assuming you could get Sam Elliott back. That way the movies still "fit" and you could then relaunch with a new actor for Johnny or go with Danny.

Wow.....I rarely post but this movie....this movie....wow. Horrible.

I was pretty critical of the movie when I posted my thoughts about it after watching the movie. My initial reaction was that it sucked really bad, however after watching the dvd I didnt think it was near as bad as I thought. There was some stuff to the story I missed in the theatre that became more clear when watching the dvd and although it felt like GR was barely in the movie in the theatre, when I timed it out on second viewing, he actually was in it a decent amount.
Could be kinda like when you hear a song and think it sucks but when you listen a few more times you end up liking it.
I think that the animated/comic cut scenes gave it a cheap B-movie feel and that the penance stare not being a visual effect we could see were two big mistakes that if fixed would have made the movie better recieved by general public and fan alike.
I still think the first movie was far better but this movie wasnt as bad as I thought at first.

I was pretty critical of the movie when I posted my thoughts about it after watching the movie. My initial reaction was that it sucked really bad, however after watching the dvd I didnt think it was near as bad as I thought. There was some stuff to the story I missed in the theatre that became more clear when watching the dvd and although it felt like GR was barely in the movie in the theatre, when I timed it out on second viewing, he actually was in it a decent amount.
Could be kinda like when you hear a song and think it sucks but when you listen a few more times you end up liking it.
I think that the animated/comic cut scenes gave it a cheap B-movie feel and that the penance stare not being a visual effect we could see were two big mistakes that if fixed would have made the movie better recieved by general public and fan alike.
I still think the first movie was far better but this movie wasnt as bad as I thought at first.

Lack of budget & a weak script really hurt the movie from being better than it was. I wonder how much of the movies budget the dual director's pocketed that could have been invested into the movie had it only been 1 director?

Terrible! One of the worst Marvel MOVIES I have ever seen. It was just a horrible film to sit through. The action was nice, but couldn't save this piece of **** at all. I want my 90 minutes back!

I can't believe this was worse that the first film. I just don't get how they ****ed it up this much.

I really wanted to like this movie. Just watched it the other day and my review. Sucked...just as much as the first one. I would put it on par with a film like Elektra. Where do I begin?

1. Pretty much all of the big awesome payoff scenes are spoiled in the trailers. So yeah if you have seen all of the previews for this you have seen 90% of the awesome moments. Had a lot of things not been spoiled ahead of time I might have enjoyed it more. Tip for the Hollywood folks in charge of the marketing.

2. Visually I actually thought the movies was pretty well done. Neveldine and Taylor were still good directors to bring on board for the visual flair...I stick by that statement. BUT...the script and cheesy acting just ruined the movie. Ghost Rider isn't a character that has to be taken dead seriously or even be rated R but when your characters are written like B movie trash and lines are delivered hammy and goofy well...you see what you get. There are plenty examples of that in comic book movie history.

3. Watching this movie I was thinking nothing but...it is time for a reboot. I love Nic Cage when he is at the top of his game but he has just not mixed well with this franchise despite his passion for the character. Time to ditch this and start fresh in a few years with BETTER script writers. That is the key...the one main issue with these Ghost Rider movies is just the god awful scripts.

Terrible! One of the worst Marvel MOVIES I have ever seen. It was just a horrible film to sit through. The action was nice, but couldn't save this piece of **** at all. I want my 90 minutes back!

I can't believe this was worse that the first film. I just don't get how they ****ed it up this much.

295ea.jpg

It's a damn shame with all these great hero-based action movies that are coming out, Sony spent their entire budget on Spiderman and left this franchise to the wind. If they don't want to respect it, give it back.

Budget had nothing to do with this being such a ****** film. The fact that the blew the final scene 40 minutes into the film killed anything else it did. There was no way to follow that up, and they proved that. It was piss poor storytelling and as backwards direction.

And calling the acting sub par would be praising it.

The few things I did like, GR's look, some of the action scenes, even how he just stared people down until they spontaneously combusted (that was legitimately freaky), but it was nowhere near enough to save this piece of ****.

Honestly, I don't care if I ever see a new Ghost Rider movie again. This just ruined it all for me. On the level of The Bloody Ape and Rubber. I'd rather watch Necromantik 2 than sit through this again.

Last edited:
I watched this again last night, and the movie does have some good moments sprinkled throughout, and the final chase/fight scene really does save the movie from being totally worthless, the action and a couple of other scene's (I really liked Moreau's death scene and Elba was awesome as the character anyway) really did help not make this movie a waste of time.

But the script, acting (with the exception of Idris Elba, Nic Cage, and the italian chick wasnt bad either), plotting, etc were all severly lacking. I mean, arent these guys script writers? Didnt they write Crank and other movies they have directed? Couldnt they have at least polished up the script a bit? They had decent actors there but they just had terrible things to work with, its like they didnt even try, its like the directors were just getting a payday, if that was the case, why even bother hiring them if they werent interested?

I just dont get it, why not try and make a good movie and reap the rewards that come from that? Surely a better reviewed movie would have made more money? I just dont get it.

I just watched this piece of trash. Not only was it bad, but it was BORING! The first one was bad too, but at least it was amusing. One review said it made the first one look like The Dark Knight. I agree. Not even Idris Elba could save it. How this ever got green lit is beyond me.

Hahahahaha. No...just no. The first one blew too. One thing the newer one at least did better was the action. Seriously go back and watch those supposed "fights" with the villains in the first one and say they were more amusing than the action in SOV. But yeah SOV still blew pretty hard.

Hahahahaha. No...just no. The first one blew too. One thing the newer one at least did better was the action. Seriously go back and watch those supposed "fights" with the villains in the first one and say they were more amusing than the action in SOV. But yeah SOV still blew pretty hard.
I was very unimpressed by both films' action scenes, but all the action scenes for SOV were shown in the trailer anyway.

It really was spoiled in the trailers. Everything of value was given away for free. You have no idea how happy I did not spend $26 on this movie (I would have had to give my friend his $13 back for forcing him to this piece of **** if we went).

I watched both Ghost Rider movies last night pretty much back to back, and the first movie is so much better in every way, except one, the final battle, which is admittedly superior in GR2, although it would have been nice to see more of the fight with Blackout.

But that exception aside, the first movie is so superior, especially the extended edition, which improved the pacing and plot of the already superior to GR2 theatrical cut. If they do make another GR movie, I would take MSJ back over Neveldine/Taylor any day of the week.

I was very unimpressed by both films' action scenes, but all the action scenes for SOV were shown in the trailer anyway.

Yep that is true...a lot of the action was shown in the previews. Still...the action/fights were better this time around. The first Ghost Rider had some of the most disappointing villain confrontations I have ever seen in a comic book adaptation.

I enjoyed the hell out of this film because it doesn't take itself too seriously and I like that it's really one of the first kind of grindhouse type superhero films. The only thing it's missing is just crazy blood, boobs and worse language. My brother and I saw this movie at the theater and we walked out of there crazy impressed by how entertained we were. Critics are of course going to slay this movie because it's really all about just zany-ness...but a world that completely works for this character. I hated the Crank films so I was surprised to see how much I really enjoyed this. To me, it's like a better budget..a little bit more plot heavy kind of Toxic Avenger film...and I'm a sucker for those movies.

It's a guilty pleasure.

^RedisnotblueI still personally think nothing in SOV compared to the building scene in GR1, seeing GR riding up the building, reining in the helicopter, killing Abagor, then riding back down and confronting the cops gave me more of a thrill to watch than anything in GR2.

I enjoyed the hell out of this film because it doesn't take itself too seriously and I like that it's really one of the first kind of grindhouse type superhero films. The only thing it's missing is just crazy blood, boobs and worse language. My brother and I saw this movie at the theater and we walked out of there crazy impressed by how entertained we were. Critics are of course going to slay this movie because it's really all about just zany-ness...but a world that completely works for this character. I hated the Crank films so I was surprised to see how much I really enjoyed this. To me, it's like a better budget..a little bit more plot heavy kind of Toxic Avenger film...and I'm a sucker for those movies.

It's a guilty pleasure.

While I am one of the people that maintains Ghost Rider doesn't have to be rated R to be a good film I do agree if they hate just let Neveldine/Taylor just go nuts and do whatever they wanted then this film would have definitely been better with the direction they were going.

While I am one of the people that maintains Ghost Rider doesn't have to be rated R to be a good film I do agree if they hate just let Neveldine/Taylor just go nuts and do whatever they wanted then this film would have definitely been better with the direction they were going.

I can agree with that, I think had they played up the violence more it would have worked a little more in their favor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"