Ghost Rider was only made because it's based on a comic

Kevin Roegele

Do you mind if I don't?
Reaction score
If Ghost Rider was not a comic, but MSJ and his writers came up with the idea a few years ago for the film, it would not have been made. It simply would not have been made.

It's not an idea which works for film. Superman is cinematic. Batman is very cinematic. Ghost Rider is not.

Ghost Rider was only made because Hollywood execs will make any superhero movie they can, and all the A-List comicbooks have been snapped up now.

Ghost Rider may not be as cinematic or as great as Batman or Superman, but he is cinematic for sure. The story is good, the look is good...the movie WAS good. Its just that everyone expects a comic adaptation to be PERFECT...

CAH

How is Ghost Rider not cinematic? It has the potential to be a hell of a spectacle, almost moresothan something like Batman. A guy with a flaming skull riding a motorcycle and fighting demons and monsters is made for the big screen; it's pure eye candy. Not to mention its classic, operatic "selling your soul to the devil" plot.

All it needed was imagination. Unfortunately, this movie version lacked it and fell flat because of it. But it's not rocket science; it practically writes itself. But this movie played it too small, this thing has to be played HUGE.

Blade is also a 2nd rate Hero, and most people outside of Ghost Rider and Midnight Sons fans didnt really know him too well, they ended up making some fantastic movies out of that character.

Blade 2, being my favorite.

If Ghost Rider was not a comic, but MSJ and his writers came up with the idea a few years ago for the film, it would not have been made. It simply would not have been made.

It's not an idea which works for film. Superman is cinematic. Batman is very cinematic. Ghost Rider is not.

Ghost Rider was only made because Hollywood execs will make any superhero movie they can, and all the A-List comicbooks have been snapped up now.

Yep.

Ghost Rider may not be as cinematic or as great as Batman or Superman, but he is cinematic for sure. The story is good, the look is good...the movie WAS good. Its just that everyone expects a comic adaptation to be PERFECT...

CAH

:huh:

GR is very cinematic IMO, just the look of the character is more cinematic than most, and is why, IMO, this movie made the money it did. The look alone inspires awe.

It may be true it was only made because it is a comic book, but you could say that about MOST adaptations at the moment. Daredevil, Elektra, The Punisher, Constantine, Hellboy, V For Vendetta, Sin City, The League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and possibly even Hulk and FF, all wouldnt have been made if they werent comic books IMO.

GR is more cinematic than most of those character combined.

^Yeah, all those wouldn't have been made if they weren't comics, all except Punisher. I can't count how many mediocre revenge films I've seen in the past few years.

i partially agree about the cinematic statement and fully agree about the comic book statement...

...Ghost Rider is awesome to look at, but his face is a skull. there's almost no facial expressions. he works great in the comics because you can make his face different from panel to panel but we all know that bone doesn't really move so live action GR is stuck with pretty much one facial expresson. in that sense, he's not a cinema friendly character, but i think the fire and the chains give him an unique look.

as far as GR only being made because it's a comic book.....if a different (better) director came up with the idea of GR on his own and wanted to make it into a movie, i could see it being made...but it's clear from DD, Elektra, Catwoman, and Fantastic 4 that these movies are being made because producers know they can make a quick buck from making a comic flick even if it's half-assed. as for MSJ....i doubt he could come up with a story like GR on his own.

Kevin, back off ghost rider. People are jumping on this flick like it's an abomination to cinema like catwoman and it is not. Why was Fantastic Four made? Why is watchmen being made? Why was 300 made? Sinc City, Hellboy, Blade? Have we suddenly lost our memories?

Every comic book film ever made is only made because it was a comic book. :dry: Ghost Rider's as Cinematic as every other comicbook out there since it is too printed on paper with bubbles that hold dialogue. This thread is a strange one indeed.

Ghost Rider can work, if it's a logical story and has the right amount of fantasy and violence. The best scene from the movie is the first transformation. Picture that in an R rated storyline with nice looking villains/creatures from hell for him to fight in big battles. They just didn't have the money and confidence to go for an adult movie with this unknown character.

I hope they make a sequel and build up on the dark elements. There's was just too much funny crap in it to make it a kiddy flick instead of a dark/horror superhero movie. PG-13 is the wrong way to show the Rider.

I still enjoy the movie for what it is though.

^I know what you mean but it is a double edged sword, if this movie had been a bit more violent and adult, it may not have been the success it was. Hopefully now they will go darker in a sequel and give us a more adventurous storyline and more gruesome looking villains.

I'm not a fan of Ghost Rider in any of his incarnations... I don't like the look, I don't like the story, I don't like the background, etc. BUT I can understand why other people do. So, despite my own opinion, I believe that GR can be lumped together with Constantine and Hellboy in the category of easy comic-book-slash-pseudo-religious-money-making-films.

Let's face it, there was never a rallying cry from the fanboy community for a Ghost Rider movie to be made, but it was made simply because it was an opportune way to cash in on the popularity of mainstream comic-book movies.

I'm not a fan of Ghost Rider in any of his incarnations... I don't like the look, I don't like the story, I don't like the background, etc. BUT I can understand why other people do. So, despite my own opinion, I believe that GR can be lumped together with Constantine and Hellboy in the category of easy comic-book-slash-pseudo-religious-money-making-films.

Let's face it, there was never a rallying cry from the fanboy community for a Ghost Rider movie to be made, but it was made simply because it was an opportune way to cash in on the popularity of mainstream comic-book movies.

This is true, as it is for most CB movies, did you like the movie Halcohol?

CAH

I couldn't agree with you more! This movie made over $100 million but yet, it's not good enough to be brought to film. Fanboys bash superhero movies SOOO much that it is ridiculous! Daredevil, F4, and Ghost Rider are being bashed to hell by fanboys but yet ALL of them made over $100 million and they are not as bad as fanboys make them out to be. It's a superhero/sci fi movie, not a oscar winning...........something. Sad thing is, non comic fans like these movies but fanboys get online and whine like a baby without milk! :whatever:

Ghost rider the comic books, can translate very well into film, and would make a wonderous cinematic spectacle, however they produced a half assed piece of crap instead....

(altho i only seen it once, it could grow on me, but I doubt it...)

Sure it would have, if they pitched it in the manner of Goethe - But that doesn't matter because it's easier to pitch a comic.

Ghost rider the comic books, can translate very well into film, and would make a wonderous cinematic spectacle, however they produced a half assed piece of crap instead....

(altho i only seen it once, it could grow on me, but I doubt it...)

I thought it pretty accurate to the comic though Cyrus, didnt you?

I'd just like to reiterate that I'm not carelessly criticising Ghost Rider. I did pay to see it, I did want to see it, I did want to be good.*

*Of course, it's not good. It's s**t.

It was no where near as bad as that crap called Spawn

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"