Gillette ad causes ire for addressing toxic masculinity

Let me explain why this ad is a marketing disaster. Regardless of the intention behind it, the fact is a company that specifically targets men to sell its products has just released an ad effectively saying that men aren’t doing enough. The problem is most men are perfectly fine individuals who are doing as best they can and are going to take this the wrong way as a company trying to tell them how they should act. Now, if the intention was to show aspect of positive masculinity that should have been the entire focus of the ad, it should have shown fathers teaching their sons how to shave, brushing their daughters hair, helping fix things around the house, etc, instead it starts off with negeative aspects about masculinity. A big rule of advertising is you don’t talk down to your customers, and this ad does exactly that whether intentional or not, to my utter bafflement. I’d go so far to say this is the worst decision I’ve seen from a big company since New Coke. Once the bond is broken with a company it’s hard to get it back. So yeah, this is a terrible campaign. If Shcick had any sense right now they’d do a response to this add that focuses entirely on the good men in the world, because Gillette has just scored an own goal.

Well said.

“Every single guy is wary of other men and wants to challenge them for supremacy”

Um, well I’ve pretty much been told by multiple people I’m about the most non-confrontational person they’ve ever met, and I also **** dudes, so I guess I’m not one of your “every single guy” rule.

Well, what you and I do to other guys in bed is kind of a challenge for supremacy if you think about it. That's about half the fun. :word:

How do people have a problem with this? Are some of you so unbelievably insecure with your manhood that a company's advertisement about how men can be better by not bullying or harassing others is a bad thing? The ones setting a good example in the ad were men. Jesus. I'm disappointed.
I’ll tell you why. Hint: “insecurity” has nothing to do with it. It’s stereotyping and insulting. It’s not the job of a razor company to lecture men with some overtly PC virtue signaling, insulting commercial. STUPID move. Obviously there are the ones who they were pandering to who will like the slap down. Imagine if they did the same thing to “illustrate” how *****y/catty and passively aggressive women can be - in a grossly stereotypical way. Try.

Reactions: CJ
It's crazy how un-self aware they are. By reacting this way and claiming that Gillette is attacking men, they themselves are essentially declaring that all men act this way and proving the point Gillette wasn't even trying to make in the first place.
Talk about being UNAWARE. If you think that finding that ad insulting proves their point, you are seriously out of touch. I’m not a man and I found it offensive.

I’ll tell you why. Hint: “insecurity” has nothing to do with it. It’s stereotyping and insulting. It’s not the job of a razor company to lecture men with some overtly PC virtue signaling, insulting commercial. STUPID move. Obviously there are the ones who they were pandering to who will like the slap down. Imagine if they did the same thing to “illustrate” how *****y/catty and passively aggressive women can be - in a grossly stereotypical way. Try.

We've been over this for the last 15 pages. You came late to the party.

So why are suicide rates for men higher? Why do gay men kill themselves more than heterosexual men? Why are men still afraid to seek help for their mental health? Do you really think the stereotypes of what a real man is aren't continuing to permeate into society?

No one is knocking the good men or saying they don't exist, but they have a hard time as well living in a society that promotes toxic masculinity.
I totally reject the “toxic masculinity” movement. Toxic people come in all flavors. Otherwise you’d have to call most of the shrill, hateful women in the woman's march “TOXIC feminists.”

Reactions: CJ
Cool story. Are you planning on going through this whole thread and finding posts to share your opinion on?

Honestly, if this ad makes you angry as a man, you're part of the problem. Sorry you had to learn the news from me of all people.
Totally disagree. Try imagining them attacking women the same stereotypical, insulting way. And trust me, women can exhibit equally “toxic” behavior.

Ricky Gervais Twitter update about the commercial was quite funny.

I love his Humanity set. What people don't realize, especially about the commercial, is that Ricky making fun of it doesn't mean he disagrees with its message. And given his previous opinions, he likely agrees with it.

I find it annoying you guys are interrupting my romantic tryst with Pink Ranger, so there!

The backlash is laughable. It's basically just saying 'Don't be an *******.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"