Good Things in the World

Been a while since anyone has posted in this thread...

'Proud dad moment': Sons stop car to shovel snow for man in wheelchair

'Proud dad moment': Sons stop car to shovel snow for man in wheelchair
18 hours ago
Rheana Murray
TODAY

Wisconsin dad Daniel Medina was so proud when his sons asked him to stop the car so they could help a man in a wheelchair shovel snow that he had to snap a photo.

Now that picture, and their story, has gone viral, with many people applauding the father for good parenting, and his children for their kind act.

Medina and his sons, who live in Milwaukee, had just left the mall on Sunday when they spotted the man, whom they didn't know, shoveling snow from his wheelchair, he told TODAY.

"I didn't even see the guy because I was concentrating on driving in the snow," Medina said. "My oldest, Daniel, said, 'Pull over, let's go help him.' So I said, 'OK, let's go.' We pulled up next to him, and Daniel asked if he had any extra shovels."

Sure enough, he did. Medina and his sons, ages 6 and 10, stayed for about 45 minutes shoveling the corner lot, he said.

“He was grateful,” he said of the man they helped. “He kept telling us thanks and kind of supervised us, made sure we dug out the bus stop in the corner, and also his car because he had a doctor’s appointment the next day.”

Medina called the experience a “proud dad moment” in a Facebook post.

"It just made me happy," he said. "They know to hold doors for people and all their manners."

Medina added that the boys' mother, who lives in New Mexico, also uses a wheelchair, and that's what prompted Daniel to ask his father to stop the car.

"He would hope that someone would help her if she needed it," Medina said.

Once they got home, the boys were apparently wiped out.

“You know what’s funny? I couldn’t get the kids to help me at home,” Medina said with a laugh. “I said, hey kids, want to shovel? And they said, 'No, Dad, it’s pretty late. We have to shower and get ready for school.'”

Elderly woman dials wrong number after falling, calls WVC police instead

By Nicole Vowell | Posted Jan 11th, 2017 @ 10:37pm

TAYLORSVILLE — An elderly woman’s phone call to the wrong number ended up going to the perfect person to help her after she had fallen.

Halene Johnson, 80, had fallen in her Taylorsville home. She struggled for hours to get help and was finally able to get to her phone to call her son.

“I called him and I got the wrong number,” Johnson said.

She ended up calling Detective Dana Pugmire with the West Valley City police department.

“She was asking for her son and at first I as thinking it’s just the wrong number,” Pugmire said. “The more info I got, the more I knew this was a serious thing.”

Instead of hanging up, he sent help and stayed on the phone with her until the fire department arrived.

“I consider it a minor miracle that that happened,” Johnson said.

The phone number was off by just one digit. Pugmire said he was just doing what he thinks anyone else would do.

Contributing: Devon Dewey

Great idea for a thread :up:

Strangers Write 125,000 Letters to Breast Cancer Patients – And You Can Join This Healing Mission Too

There can be a lot of emotional challenges that come from fighting cancer – but according to this charity, a little letter can be a big help in overcoming those obstacles.

Girls Love Mail is a nonprofit that asks strangers to write letters of love and encouragement to breast cancer patients.

Since the charity was launched in August 2011, there have been over 125,000 letters sent to cancer patients around the world. Letter writers have ranged from fourth graders to 90-year-olds across the US, plus Canada, Japan, Germany, Korea, Brazil, UK, Ireland, Australia, Malta, Burma, and The Netherlands.

Regardless of the author’s background, the letter recipients have been grateful for the messages of support.

“I received a note from a complete stranger and it was so powerful,” says one patient. “Now I keep the letter on my nightstand and read it every night before bed to gain strength. I’m amazed at the kindness in this world.”

The founder of Girls Love Mail, Gina Mulligan, says that she got the idea for the charity after she was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2009. At the time, the author had been working on a novel that was entirely made up of letters – and then she started receiving hundreds of hand-written well wishes and cards in the mail.

“Letters were all around me, and I realized letters are a precious gift with the power to heal,” says Gina.

She then started the charity with the intention of generating enough letters to send to every woman who receives a breast cancer diagnosis, which is roughly 250,000 per year. The charity’s Miles of Mail 2018 campaign hopes to garner at least 40,000 letters for the year.

Past studies have shown that positive phrasing can help hospital patients better deal with their symptoms and illnesses. In a more surprising case that was described as “unexplainable by western science”, this man is believed to have cured his rare form of stomach cancer by performing random acts of kindness for a year – so it’s no stretch of the imagination to believe that reading letters of love could help breast cancer patients heal as well.

If you would like to participate in the charity’s mission, you can visit the Girls Love Mail website for more details. Additionally, Mulligan has published a compilation book of the charity’s letters called “Dear Friend”, which is available on Amazon.

NYTimes :: Lin-Manuel Miranda and Friends Purchase Drama Book Shop

Mr. Miranda and three of his “Hamilton” collaborators have purchased the Drama Book Shop, a century-old theater district purveyor of scripts, sheet music and other stage-related reading material.

The surprise move is an effort to sustain the store, which is a mainstay of New York’s theater scene — in 2011 it was recognized with a Tony honor for excellence — but has struggled to survive the brutal Times Square real estate market and recently announced that it was being forced to move from its current location.

The rescue plan is a joint venture between the “Hamilton” team and the city, which has pledged to find the store an affordable space in Midtown.

49898756_516227308887543_1886193720500420608_n.jpg

Maine Coons
The sunrise
Christmas Trees
Onion Rings
Sonic the Hedgehog
The smell of a freshly mowed lawn
Popping bubble wrap
Sleeping
Lay's Stacker buffalo wing
General Tso's Chicken
Bike riding

Last edited:
60140296_10219529024355606_4240219562626252800_n.jpg

More of a "cool thing" than "good", but whatever lol.

Still very much a good thing. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"