Green Lantern reccomendations

I love how the OP didn't even preference which Green Lantern and people still go Hal train crazy.

Hello to all.
I just started reading green lantern/gl corps. I've got emerald dawn and emerald twilight and a new dawn so far. Where should I go from there? I would like to eventually get enough background to jump into green lantern and know what is going on. I'm interested in any good/important trades. (If it is an important story but it sucks, i'd rather not read it, I'll just use wikipedia). Also, is the current run on green lantern any good?
Thanks!
Well, I love the current GL run, better than the GLC IMO. Nevertheless, if you want to try to be more open-minded than the Hal haters, or Only-Hal-for-GL fans, you might want to read the GL/Green Arrow TPB, these are great, I loved GL : Circle of Fire !, Cosmic Odyssey is amazing IMO, Rebirth is excellent, GLC : Recharge was solid and good and the Sinestro Corps war is pretty good (I agree the end is a little ... "weak").
At the same time, even if the Kyle Rayner stuff is good, it doesn't deal a lot with the GL mythos itself. It depends of what you want to read. :dry:

Kyle was all about the GL mythos. He had to learn about it to figure out where he fit into it.

So it seems to me that the only GL's people ever talk about are hal and kyle. Are John Stewart, Alan Scott and Guy Gardner any interesting? What about the non earth GL's?

It seems to me that a lot of people either love or hate hal.

So it seems to me that the only GL's people ever talk about are hal and kyle. Are John Stewart, Alan Scott and Guy Gardner any interesting? What about the non earth GL's?

Hal, John, Guy, and John are the badasses. Alan is a whole nother beast. As for the Non Terrans... Kilowog is the King.

:gl: :gl: :gl:

Hal and Kyle are the only ones people argue about. Basically everybody loves Guy Gardner and Kilowog, and you get muted appreciation or indifference toward John. Alan's just his own crazy kind of thang, really.

Yeah, Alan's awesomeness dwarfs all others really.

Hal: "You know Alan, I have lethal force now."
Alan: "That's great sonny. I've had it for.... ever."

Just seeing Alan's silhouette in the beginning of New Frontier made me smile.

Hal : "Too bad about that whole wood thing."
Alan : "I know, right?"

Alan: You know, I lost the wood weakness for a while.
Hal: Really? How'd it come ba-- (Hal slumps over, unconscious)
Alan: Hal?
Hal: Huh? Sorry, I was just thinking about how badass you'd be without the wood weakness and I passed out from the sheer awesomeness of it.
Alan: Exactly.

Alan : Where's your sidekick?
Hal : He's out in space getting some nookie from Wonder Girl.
Alan : Really?
Hal : Oh yeah.
Alan : Nice! :up:

Kyle was all about the GL mythos. He had to learn about it to figure out where he fit into it.
No I disagree. The corps was destroyed. All it remained was only one GL, and he was different (no impurity, new suit, etc ...). Kyle's stories were more about guys, girls, people around Kyle, new villains, learning the ropes of the job,etc, etc ... but not about the GL mythos itself. It is not "all about the GL mythos".

It had a lot of other stuff, obviously, but Kyle spent a lot of time learning about the GL Corps and what it meant for him to be wearing their ring and representing them when no one else could. The legacy of the Corps loomed large over quite a few Kyle stories.

Yes, he was thinking about it, learning about it, trying to comprehend it, etc, ... but as I'm saying, the serie wasn't about the corps. That's what I meant by "GL mythos". The whole Guardians/Corps/Aliens/Oa thing. The corps was destroyed. And the GLC is the basic idea. The story was more focused around Kyle. I wouldn't say it "was all about the GL mythos".

What's some essential Green Lantern reading? Like paperbacks that are must reads,for understanding the character and the greatest paperbacks to ever show the character in action.

Sinestro Corps has quiet abit of action, but if you arn't too up with the current GL mytho's you might be a bit lost.

Green Lantern,GlC and The Sinestro Corps War
Geoff Johns FTW.

Sinestro Corps has quiet abit of action, but if you arn't too up with the current GL mytho's you might be a bit lost.
I doubt that. Sinestro set up his own Corps with yellow rings that draw power from Parallax and drafted Superboy Prime and Hank Henshaw as generals. There, that's all the backstory you really need for the SCW.

Wasn't that all established in the Sinestro Corps War special? Which would be included in any SCW collection?

Possibly. If that's the case, no backstory's needed at all.

:up:

Rann/Thanagar War is also good if you just want to see a big space war with GLs involved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"