Green Lantern's Ripple Effect on Other DC Live Action Properties

MadVillainy

C'mon Son
Reaction score
When the GL film gets made do you think it will have an impact on other DC live action properties such as Wonder Woman, Flash, and Superman?

I think if its successful then yes because it proves a DC movie thats not Batman can be successful.

If its unsuccessful it might effect the films negatively since besides Batman dc hasnt had much luck recently with live action movies

So either way i say Gl will effect it

Last edited:
I think GL is the testing ground for DC movies, besides Batman and Superman. I mean, I think GL will determine the direction of Wonder Woman and The Flash, etc.

I hope I hope it turns out sucessful. I just want a good movie. Keep it simple, accessible, and entertaining and WB will get a great movie out of Green Lantern.

BTW, I think Jonah Hex will be WB's version of Blade, so I don't think it'll count.

Plus I think that Green Lantern is coming out in good timing; since the success of Star Trek, I think people are starving for a good space sci-fi movie and I think Green Lantern has a good mix of that, and superhero hijinks.

Honestly, GL is the perfect 'risk' for DC movies, more so than releasing Wonder Woman or Flash first.

If everything goes according to plan, Green Lantern should provide WB the hit the studio needs to move forward with the rest of the DC Universe.

When the GL film gets made due you think it will have an impact on other DC live action properties such as Wonder Woman, Flash, and Superman?

They always do and they always will. If the next comic book film (especially one related to a particular family of comics) flops, studios will reconsider whether they will go forward or do something different on the next project. If it succeeds, they may assess what went right and try to adopt that success in proceeding films. Case in point, I seriously doubt they will be making another film in the stile of Watchmen anytime soon, yet they are looking for the next "Iron-Man". Remember also that nothing last forever and studios are always watching and waiting for a genre to die out as well.

Last edited:
Yea i do hope for hex and gl to be the sucesses wb wants, i would love to see flash/ww/etc..... characters from the dc stable finally get their chances. There is tons out there that could easily be a great movie or movie series with the right people on board. I am crossing my fingers both do well enough for wb to see there is an audience out there for non batman dc characters.

I'd prefer we not have to wait for GL's box office to see The Flash and Wonder Woman go into production, but hey, better late than never!

Yeah if we have to wait for GL to come out before Flash and WW even get green lit then that will majorly suck. That would mean in the next 3 years DC would have a whopping total of 3 new movies while Marvel will have 5 easy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that it would suck if we would have to wait for GL's box office until WW or Flash gain momentum

Last edited by a moderator:
At least Warner Bros. won't be tempted to make a prequel or sequel to Watchmen... As much as I liked the movie, knowing that they won't try to "franchise it" is a bit of a relief. The same thing happened with Speed Racer, which I thoroughly enjoyed but could potentially have been soiled by a poor sequel.

Even after TDK's success it still took 3 years to hopefully release a GL movie. I get that the two characters have little bearing on each other but if they are waiting on Box Office... then it can easily be another three years before we see anything else. That's a long wait.

I think (if successful) it'll definitely usher in the a new era of the space opera and more cosmic comic book movies, in general. Expect Adam Strange, Lobo and Star Man properties to be put on the fast track quickly afterwards, if this movie does well.
I can also see Marvel Movies trying to snatch a piece of the pie with a Nova movie.

This movie could easily slip into "Fantasic Four The movie" territory. They need to take it seriously and put out a quality product.

Yea hopefully it is being taken seriously and i hope with campbell he does make it serious, yea nothing wrong with a few comedic things here and there.

I'm not closing it, because I think the thread has merit, but warnings go to ALL INVOLVED in the derailment. I'm going to go back and delete now. And if it happens again, I got this big stack of red cards to dish out.

And to remove all doubt. This is me getting the last word.

EDIT-For those curious, 63 posts deleted, 2 edited. Thread only had 78 posts in it. :dry:

Last edited:
I've been out in the real world for a while. Did i miss something? What "derailment"?

63 posts deleted? Why, What happened?

If GL succeeds, I do think it'll encourage WB to put other DC live-action properties on the fast-track. The ripple effect will be positive -- all GL needs to do is succeed and be liked by critics and audiences.

Why is it so hard for WB :p

Well at least when they do come out someday the other films would be good

That also means we probably won't see any real movement on the big franchises until this time next year when they have a sense of what they actually created.

Of course they also thought Suicide Squad was a good idea after Watchmen buzz set in because that's what people wanted to see. Oh, brother.

If GL succeeds, I do think it'll encourage WB to put other DC live-action properties on the fast-track. The ripple effect will be positive -- all GL needs to do is succeed and be liked by critics and audiences.
I hope that does happen for other dc films/characters that havent been lucky yet to get off the ground. And hopefully gl doesnt fall apart like some keep fearing here. Yea me might not be hearing things but we dont know how preproduction is going at all. Only thing we do know is various key crew members are getting hired here and there, and testing for lead has been going on.

It weird

Marvel releases many movies almost to a fault (they're planning 4 films a year???)

DC doesnt release that many movies

Yea it makes you wonder a bit why is it so much easier for marvel to get characters out either from full marvel studios line, or from their partnerships with other studios compared to wb being just wb. I really dont see why flash, martian manhunter, etc.... characters havent got out yet.

If Green Lantern is sucessful, I bet they'll accelerate the other franchises. Maybe even decide what to do with Superman!

Yea the running thing has been if gl can be a good hit financially and critically it could help getting flash/ww/aquaman/etc.... moving better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"