DC live action television...

NotFadeAway

Superhero
Reaction score
I noticed that the Marvel forum had a thread about live action television, so I figured that I would go ahead and make one for DC. It gives us something to talk about, plus I really would like to see some live action television from DC, if done properly of course. I'm more of television guy at heart anyway, good tv is better than a good movie for me.

Obviously, the biggest problem with DC tv is that it would be tough not to have it on the CW. But lets put that aside, and act as if DC isn't under the control of one company, and act as if it has all the options Marvel has.

Anyway, my choices would be....

1) The Flash - For starters, the show would have Wally West as the main character, because I'm a huge fan and all, and it would follow Wally's life as he takes over as The Flash after the death of Barry Allen. Unlike a movie, a television show would give both the writers and the audience enough time to really dive into the Flash Legacy, and I'd have Jay Garrick there as a mentor for Wally. And as the most well developed character in all the DC universe, atleast in my opinion, there is countless material for Wally West and the growth of his character over seasons and seasons of television. Wally is the best suited DC character for television, for that reason. As another poster once said, Mark Waid's Wally writings are a few seasons in themselves. Plus, I've always thought the Wally West/Tina McGee relationship would make for interesting television, the older girl and the younger guy, and then slowly but surely it could change into Wally and Linda, who would be more of a side chaarcter at the start. Supporting characters would obviously be Jay Garrick, Tina McGee, Linda Park, Iris Allen, Max Mercury from time to time, and a newly created character or two. Plus, the effects wouldn't be that costly, and The Flash has enough villians to keep things fresh, and then if you throw in villians without a hero to call there own, like Deathstroke, it gets even better. And just think, with a Wally television show, Barry Allen fans can get there big screen movie. Everybody wins.

2) Nightwing - The easiest to do, effects wise. Simple story, open up the show with a voiceover type deal, explain Dick Graysons backstory and history with Batman, and start off with Grayson mocing to Bludhaven and setting up shop as Nightwing, plus joining the police force. With Nolan not wanting to use Robin, this is the perfect way for the character to make a buck. I think a Nightwing show could have an "Angel" quality about it.

3) Green Arrow - Perfect for HBO or Showtime, adapt the gritty Grell feel and radical left wing storylines, and you have a winner. In this day and age, with the modern day Robin Hood, the character is a big deal waiting to happen.

100 Bullets. A 100 episode tv series on either HBO, Showtime, or FX

i would love to have a solo green arrow show, ever since ollie showed up on smallville he desevered to own show. As for doing tv show for dc guys i would have to say it would be better to stick with chacters who dont have alot of superpowers so the show's budget could be a reasonable price. unless it has a budget of lost/heroes. As for others i would like to see is huntress, the question, knightwing could totally work and if they have restrictions on not using batman just having an voice over about how his relationship fell with bruce could be an easy way out untill they are allow to use bats. I cant really think of others at this time i think could work well as a tv show. I dont know that many dc guys.

I noticed that the Marvel forum had a thread about live action television, so I figured that I would go ahead and make one for DC. It gives us something to talk about, plus I really would like to see some live action television from DC, if done properly of course. I'm more of television guy at heart anyway, good tv is better than a good movie for me.

Obviously, the biggest problem with DC tv is that it would be tough not to have it on the CW. But lets put that aside, and act as if DC isn't under the control of one company, and act as if it has all the options Marvel has.

Anyway, my choices would be....

1) The Flash - For starters, the show would have Wally West as the main character, because I'm a huge fan and all, and it would follow Wally's life as he takes over as The Flash after the death of Barry Allen. Unlike a movie, a television show would give both the writers and the audience enough time to really dive into the Flash Legacy, and I'd have Jay Garrick there as a mentor for Wally. And as the most well developed character in all the DC universe, atleast in my opinion, there is countless material for Wally West and the growth of his character over seasons and seasons of television. Wally is the best suited DC character for television, for that reason. As another poster once said, Mark Waid's Wally writings are a few seasons in themselves. Plus, I've always thought the Wally West/Tina McGee relationship would make for interesting television, the older girl and the younger guy, and then slowly but surely it could change into Wally and Linda, who would be more of a side chaarcter at the start. Supporting characters would obviously be Jay Garrick, Tina McGee, Linda Park, Iris Allen, Max Mercury from time to time, and a newly created character or two. Plus, the effects wouldn't be that costly, and The Flash has enough villians to keep things fresh, and then if you throw in villians without a hero to call there own, like Deathstroke, it gets even better. And just think, with a Wally television show, Barry Allen fans can get there big screen movie. Everybody wins.

2) Nightwing - The easiest to do, effects wise. Simple story, open up the show with a voiceover type deal, explain Dick Graysons backstory and history with Batman, and start off with Grayson mocing to Bludhaven and setting up shop as Nightwing, plus joining the police force. With Nolan not wanting to use Robin, this is the perfect way for the character to make a buck. I think a Nightwing show could have an "Angel" quality about it.

3) Green Arrow - Perfect for HBO or Showtime, adapt the gritty Grell feel and radical left wing storylines, and you have a winner. In this day and age, with the modern day Robin Hood, the character is a big deal waiting to happen.

I agree whole heartedly with your post.:up: I'd also add Azrael to that list.

I agree whole heartedly with your post.:up: I'd also add Azrael to that list.

Thank you:yay:

Nice suggestion with Azrael. You could also work Azrael into a Nightwing television show.

Everyone knows Nightwing would be the best concept for a TV series.

There are so many characters they could use on the show:

- Nightwing, Question, Barbera, Azarel, The Titans, Jason Todd etc

The biggest issue against DC TV shows is that the biggest DC heroes are tied up in movie projects (however, Nolan isn't using Robin/Nightwing).

There's also no network for WB/DC shows; however, Fox may work as a good network since they ran WB's Terminator Salvation.

Speaking of which, Thomas Dekker would work well as a young Dick Grayson on the verge of becoming Nightwing (since TSCC is dead).

Thank you:yay:

Nice suggestion with Azrael. You could also work Azrael into a Nightwing television show.

Oooh that would sound really fun to see!

The biggest issue against DC TV shows is that the biggest DC heroes are tied up in movie projects (however, Nolan isn't using Robin/Nightwing).

There's also no network for WB/DC shows; however, Fox may work as a good network since they ran WB's Terminator Salvation.

Speaking of which, Thomas Dekker would work well as a young Dick Grayson on the verge of becoming Nightwing (since TSCC is dead).

You're right about Nightwing being the best concept for a tv show. I can't see DC having another Batman live action show with the success of the cartoons and movies. It seems with Batman they'd want to keep various incarnations o him in animated form while saving the live action for the blockbuster movies. So Nightwing would be the best way to have a "Batman" on tv without having the actual Batman. There is already a good fanbase to tap into, as I can see a nice portion of Batman fans(comics, cartoons, movies) tuning in to check out a Nightwing show. Plus a Nightwing budget wouldn't be that much, and you can do it without it looking cheesy. Plus it doesn't look like WB will think of making a Nightwing movie for some time.:csad: A good script writier, good fight choreography, and a good lead for Nightwing would make a hit show for the CW.

Yea it shouldnt matter if wb tv filmed the show there is alot of shows shot from one production company like wb or abc but not aired on their networks.

I think all the Legacy Characters would probably work really well as television series.

I can see Thomas Dekker as a young Grayson.

I mentioned this in the Superman forum, I think Matt Bomer would be a good adult Dick Grayson.

I can see Thomas Dekker as a young Grayson.

I mentioned this in the Superman forum, I think Matt Bomer would be a good adult Dick Grayson.

Matt Bomer is 32 though. Too old for THIS character.

If this is a TV series, you'll need a younger Grayson (early 20s) who can grow up during the show.

true but is all about how they want to treat the show more of a teen drama or a more adult drama like a csi/law and order.

^ Early Twenties isn't teens. It's adults.

My picks:

1) Batman. Which can't be done, obviously, but we all know it would be cool.

2) The Flash. Works on several dozen different levels. Me personally, I'm more for using Wally. Get Barry for the movies, but Wally would be awesome.

3) Nightwing. I liked him when he first got in his blue and blacks. That was a cool era, and a great character. I'd love to see that.

4) John Stewart GL. Since Hal has the movies, I figure doing a Sci-Fi series could be cool. Keep it more of a CSI in space thing, though... you can't have epic power struggles every week on a TV budget, but you can still do the emerald glow and space travel some real justice.

5) Teen Titans In Name Only. I wouldn't object to seeing a teen drama about the Titans who are usually out of costume. That could be interesting.

6) Wonder Woman Returns. They could do her even more justice now, even on a Smallville budget, to say nothing of a Heroes budget. Get Joss Whedon on here and watch the sparks fly.

7) Static. Kid. Powers. Angst. Supporting Cast. You can write this, y'know?

8) Smallville Grows up. Call it Metropolis, and do Superman Begins with Tom Welling, make it epic, and make it fun.

9) Batgirl or Birds of Prey. I'd love to see Cassandra Cain on a regular basis. That would rock my world.

10) Brave and the Bold anthology. What if you did different parts of the DC Universe regularly? Hmmm...

true but is all about how they want to treat the show more of a teen drama or a more adult drama like a csi/law and order.

That really has nothing to do with it.

But a teen drama would do more damage than good when it comes to Batman characters; so obviously it shouldnt be.

Yea you dont want to get into the mess of a one tree hill/gossip girl type of show. If they want to be taken serious it would be better to make it more mature/adult setting.

Or just not make anymore DC shows for the CW network.

It's just the wrong network for these types of shows.

Fox would work. They do some great action shows; 24, Prison Break etc

And Warners often air shows on Fox.

yea i would say fox/nbc/maybe spike or g4tv.

^That potentially could be pretty frikkin epic...

I think a Question television series could be interesting. My idea would be to have a crime-of-the-episode format or perhaps over the course of five episodes. Layered over it would be the Question's obsession over a particular conspiracy with clues linking it to some of the crimes he investigates.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"