Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians Of The Galaxy- User Review Thread. SPOILERS!

TeeKay

Avenger
Reaction score
Alright guys, since some people here are gonna be seeing the film this week and the film is releasing next week as well, we can all post our reviews here. I'll post mine on Thursday.

For those who see it this week. SPOILERS must be TAGGED up until the release of the film worldwide.

zUL7UFD.jpeg

http://instagram.com/p/qzPRRjCeyi/

UPDATED WITH REVIEW/REACTION

Most fun movie you'll get this year, mark my words. Universal appeal for everyone, genuinely, even if you're not a Marvel fan and know nothing about the MCU/comics etc. A breath of fresh air and a sense of wonder that hasn't been felt in the MCU since not even Avengers, but Iron Man 1. And while still working completely as a standalone universal film, the connections to the wider universe are still there and awesome and not forced at all. (yes there's one scene where you'll get two types of reactions, either mad ovations or shocked stunned silence. I ended up getting the latter.)

Pratt was funny, that kind of loveable rogue character, Drax, Rocket and Groot were real standouts. This movie IMO is kind of like The Fifth Element (hell even got that scientist guy from the nucleolab in it too!) and Star Wars. Really enjoyable plot and action. This movie actually makes its self-awareness gags good as opposed to others, and really the gags, pop culture and comic references (one particular one got a fantastic reaction), moments where after you walk out you think "what the hell" (yes there were a couple and those were kind of my negative points about the film, as well as to some extent the villains, Ronan seemed a bit like Malekith but still better than that, Yondu/Ravages while cool and linked to Quill's backstory and so on seemed a lot like just fanservice to me), and all (but fewer here) the typical shortcomings and cliches of Marvel films, you just end up not noticing it and eating it up completely with a grin on your face for the whole thing. Make sure you watch with a good crowd cause that really helps, last night was amazing.

The main thing about this is that what Gunn did with the Guardians themselves though is almost as good if not in some aspects better than what Whedon did with the Avengers and bravo to him for that.

And just to get this out of the way, 2 extra scenes (one mid and one post credit as always), and my screening didn't have the post credits one. Definitely heading back a second time and not just for that aspect ratio shifting digital IMAX frenzy (forgot to mention - visually amazing, awesome and best 3D in a Marvel film) and Interstellar trailer 3 :D My favourite and IMO the best Phase 2 film so far.

Last edited:
Here's my review.:woot:

Before we get started, I should note that at this point, you're either a fan of the Marvel Cinematic Universe, or you aren't. It is that plain and simple. If you've enjoyed all the other MCU films, then you will absolutely love what Guardians Of the Galaxy has to offer. To be honest few films these days are as much fun as the films that Marvel Studios are putting out right now. Not only are these films so much deep respect and faithfulness to their source material whenever they can, but they also never try to downplay the "other-worldly qualities of what makes these comic book heroes so great and inspiring (I'm looking at you Fox's X-men franchise). They embrace the comic booky-nature of all of these characters and don't portray it as satire. Because let's face it, while there are jokes at almost every juncture of these films, the heroes are always taking the situations they are in very seriously, therefore we're laughing while feeling like there are genuine stakes at hand. It makes the whole experience much more enjoyable. Guardians of the Galaxy does what Marvel does best, give us an entertaining film that leaves you wanting even more.

Guardians Of The Galaxy shows us the other side of the Marvel Cinematic Universe. 99% of the film is based in space, which is what made the film somewhat a refreshing change in the way comic book movies and heroes are portrayed in recent years, whether be it DC or Marvel. James Gunn came in and made Guardians Of The Galaxy more palatable to the reality so far in the Marvel film base, hitting it off where Thor: The Dark World had teased in the mid credits scene. Much like the Avengers, the story is straight forward. A band of misfits must come together, put their differences aside and fight as one when evil threatens the galaxy. However, James Gunn succeeded just as much as Whedon did with The Avengers by giving us fun and relatable characters and some cool character interactions. We learn most the character's backstories through these interactions so there's no unnecessary flashbacks and what not.

To be honest, It was hard to believe that a movie of this calibre can make you think as much as it thrills you and makes you laugh. Yet, this film does just that. It's very fun and weird, something you would expect no less from a director that crafted Slither. He presents the entire film in a way that can be savored. Some moments from the film are dramatic and yet other aspects are just plain old fun kick-butt action scenes. It's a perfect blend and this movie is so much fun. While the films follows along the cliched story of good vs. evil, there are also some strong elements of character development present in the film. Speaking of which, the cast is exceptional. No pay cheque grabbing here; every cast member dives into their role headfirst. Despite some of the bigger names in the cast, including Glenn Close and John C. Reily, the cast is very notable. There are no "sore thumbs" in sight, everyone plays their roles perfectly. It is so well acted with Chris Pratt as the womanizer Outlaw, Peter Quil aka Star Lord (Who?!) Zoe Saldana as Gamora, Vin Diesel as Groot, Dave Bautista as Drax. Bradley Cooper virtually steals the movie as the badass Rocket Racoon. He is the breakout star. Benicio Del Toro as the Collector was a weird and he still retains that performance we saw in the mid credits scene of Thor: The Dark World. Lee Pace was unrecognisable as Ronan the Accuser. He was great in the role and seemed like he was having fun portraying the crazy evil villain. There are too many other names to mention, but rest assured everyone's sublime.

Guardians Of The Galaxy, much like Thor before it, proves that, in the right hands, a comic tale that appears silly on the surface can have hidden depths when properly plumbed. Sure, the film has elements that, on the face of it, may lead a bit to some audience snickers (There's a ****ing talking Tree and Raccoon in the film), but the creative behind Guardians Of The Galaxy, including director James Gunn, manage to develop a story for the misfits that deals with elements of tragedy, pathos, selflessness and, perhaps even more surprisingly, involving character development. GOTG is more about the lead characters at its core, again akin to Iron Man, than some other comic book films and this draws the audience into its tale. Gunn also proves to be a master at creating an epic summer blockbuster. Apart from a few dodgy moments, the visual effects are stunning; in fact, this is probably the most visually impressive film I have seen from Marvel thus far. The production design is also beautiful; Xander is one of the most incredible movie landscapes I have ever seen (even though it somewhat reminded me of Elysium). Credit must go to the FX and art direction departments. The scenes on Knowhere were the best scenes in the film. The set design was great. Seeing the everyday lives of the people in Knowhere (there's a scene where our main characters go in a pub), the streets, markets etc was all a joy to watch.

The film itself is well paced throughout and full of dazzling action sequences along with top of the market special effects. The design of the Millano (Star Lord's ship) interior is ingenious and the film makes constant references to the source material, which is sure to please all die-hard fans. Finally, it's important to note just how strong the production is from top to bottom. James Gunn's visual style fits in wonderfully with the tone, story, and theme of the film, not to mention the approach that nicely compliments the set design This film is so entertaining and does what no one has done before. It makes the Guardians of the Galaxy property cool. This an amazing adaptation of the Guardians of The Galaxy universe, which captures the human and philosophical elements of the old while giving it a fresh and modern update. The finale is absolutely thrilling. A total joy which left me grinning.

With the introduction of these new characters, every action set piece in this movie is both impressive and absolute fun to watch. What makes them even better is that they are accompanied by a gripping story with plenty of shocking and even emotional twists and turns. Even after seeing aliens invade New York in "The Avengers," this movie's space opera approach to storytelling gives a sense that the stakes are higher than ever in the Marvel Universe. Fear not though, this movie is far from a dark one, and there is plenty of that good old Marvel humor to give some levity and balance. I'm pretty sure that audiences won't be prepared for how funny the movie alone is. Guardians Of The Galaxy is an extravagant looking film dripping with spellbinding special effects, a fantastic cast overflowing with talent, and a captivating story that holds your interest from beginning to end. For a film I hadn't given much thought to (when it was announced at SDCC'12, I was like who?!), I was very surprised to find myself thoroughly enjoying Guardians Of The Galaxy. Its a comic book movie that stands out from a lot that have come before, and is a genuinely entertaining move on all accounts.

Overall, Guardians of the Galaxy is another tick in Marvel's book of successfully bringing a new franchise to the audience. It is intense, funny, and emotional at times and gives your brain a nice workout because it's also very smart and full of nice twists and turns (even though some of them are predictable). This film offers a fair amount of heart amongst its waves of depth while also delivering impressive action sequences. Words almost don't seem to do the film justice. The film is fun, full of heart, and the definition of what an introductory superhero film should be. Not to mention, it's an action movie, things go boom, punches are thrown, and people fly and shoot stuff. The fact that there's an emotionally charged story underneath all of the awesome action is an icing on the cake. Marvel fans are going to fall in love with this one, especially with Marvel introducing the cosmic side of their cinematic universe and introducing more villains and characters from the comics .This film is different from any other superhero film before it, and it all works perfectly especially since there's a talking Raccoon and walking Tree. When some other characters show up, they are there because it is required to tell the story and not just to be a fan service. Bottom line is, grab your popcorn, drinks (or whatever you prefer eating in the theatre) and enjoy the ride of this one. It's rare to get a film like this in August, so definitely go watch it!

10/10

Absolutely awesome. Favourite film of the MCU and as GotG is one of my favourite comic series (in particular all the DnA stuff) they absolutely smashed it. Only let down was not seeing the after credits stuff but that can't be helped as it's just for general release so super excited to see what that's gonna be!

I will say it does have an absolutely hilarious ending that was awesome.

Saw it eight hours ago.
Something good, something bad, a bit of both.

When Guardians Of The Galaxy was announced, I didn't expect too much from this movie. I just wanted a fun superheromovie with a lot of humour.
Guardians Of The Galaxy delivered. I laughed way more than in any other superheromovie. The interactions between the five main characters were charming, because every one of them has a really unique and in a way silly personality, even
tough they are all really cliched.
On the other hand the rest of the movie didn't really work for me.
The story doesn't move far beyond "evil guys are evil, they want to destroy everything". All emotional moments felt forced and didn't work for me.
There are some really cool ideas in this movie, f.e. the "whistle weapon (those, who've seen the movie may know what I'm talking about) but they use them in really dumb ways.
The antagonists and side characters are as forgettable as they were in Thor 2.
The action is not special in a good or bad way. However I really enjoyed (minor Spoiler)
the space battle in the third act.
The cgi is okay. There are some shots where you can clearly see it's fake but it's mostly fine.
The actors do their best, but no one really stands out. The kid who plays the young star-lord is though, is terrible in my opinion.

In the end GOTG is a really funny movie, that pokes fun at itself for doing cliched things from the standard superhero flick. At the same time there are some standard mistakes the makers didn't seem to be aware of.
6/10 I hoped for more.

Wow Tee. Gotta say, for English not being your first language, you
Have some good grammar

No spoilers here, but let's just say I had ridiculously high expectations. I love the 2008 run. I adore Chris Pratt on Parks and Rec. Everything I heard about this movie seemed perfect. I was slightly scared because I was building this thing up to be so amazing that no film could ever deliver. It did. James Gunn, you sexy bastard man.

My spoiler free review: COMIC NIRVANA/10

Like all Marvel Studios films there are a couple small details that nag me and will probably be more annoying to some, but who cares when a movie is this wild and fun. It completely embraces the concept and runs with it unashamedly grooving the whole time. I can not wait to see this beautiful film in IMAX 3D.

All aboard the hype train now.

All the reviewers In this thread were spot on. This might be the best MCU movie to date and that's saying a lot. No element gun for Starlord ....yet.

Here's mine from TMT

Marvel Studios is back with it's second outing this year, furthering along the connective world they've prided themselves on after the huge success of Avengers. Up to this point we've seen a decent array of varied characters in Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Captain America. Black Widow and Hawkeye have been thrown in supporting roles to show the non-powered side of the worlds heroes. Along comes Guardians of the Galaxy which is easily the biggest risk for the studio yet, and that's a point that's been hammered over our heads since the project was announced.
So how does it stand up to the other films in the Marvel cinematic universe? I think this one could end up to be a tough sell for certain viewers, but if you have a funny bone anywhere on your body there has to be something in this film for you to enjoy. James Gunn is clearly having a lot of fun with this story and these characters and it shines through in the interactions. The visuals are top notch with a lot of great action and humor melding into one.

Drax, Rocket, Groot and Star-Lord all get great laugh out loud moments and each one brings a different style of humor so it doesn't feel repetitive. Cooper, Diesel, and Pratt in their roles were all fantastic and easily the highlights of the film. Batista as Drax was the biggest surprise of the movie for me. They decided to write him in a way I didn't expect and it really pays off with the tone of the other characters. Zoe Saldana as Gamora was the only one of the group that had moments not quite as memorable as the others and that could be because she was straight forward most of the time.

I don't have a lot of negative things to say towards the finished product. My screening was in 3D and while that's not a format I would choose on my own or even recommend, it worked quite well in this movie giving a lot of scenes the proper depth they needed. Any complaints may go towards a few characters not getting enough screen time. The Collector is highly underused, but Benicio del Toro sells himself in the limited time he was given. Ronan the Accuser is given a bit more to do though still not enough to fully fill out that main villain role and again Lee Pace was great with what he had to do.

Even with those small gripes the pacing of the whole movie was handeled very well as there were never any true slow moments and the scenes zipped by at a good speed. The important thing is that is never felt too long to the point that you want to check your watch and wonder when it will finally be over. There was one main slower moment when the group finally comes together near the end, but it was needed at that point.

As I said before, it's hard to compare this one fully with the other films in the Marvel Studios catalogue. It really opens up the story potentials to where the events of the next Avengers film can begin migrate towards. There weren't any huge direct references to the past movies (one main scene to remain unspoiled), but there were plenty of name drops to a large scope of the world comic fans already know. Guardians of the Galaxy is the most fun comic book film yet, even surpassing the great time I had with Avengers.

I'm riding a pretty high wave of excitement right after seeing the movie so my opinion could change on subsequent viewings, but this has been one of the best times at the theatre I've had since I was kid. It's a movie that is great for a family to go check out together much like Avengers was before it. Yet another success on screen for Marvel Studios that will hopefully translate at the box office.

JAK®;29377707 said:
:csad: I was really looking forward to his character.

When he was there I loved him. Del Toro did a great job at making him an eccentric character even with such little screen time. I really hope he gets brought back for other movies.

Last edited:
If his role I'm the books is any indication, the heroes from Earth will be dealing with him at some point.

Here's mine from TMT

Marvel Studios is back with it's second outing this year, furthering along the connective world they've prided themselves on after the huge success of Avengers. Up to this point we've seen a decent array of varied characters in Iron Man, Hulk, Thor and Captain America. Black Widow and Hawkeye have been thrown in supporting roles to show the non-powered side of the worlds heroes. Along comes Guardians of the Galaxy which is easily the biggest risk for the studio yet, and that's a point that's been hammered over our heads since the project was announced.
So how does it stand up to the other films in the Marvel cinematic universe? I think this one could end up to be a tough sell for certain viewers, but if you have a funny bone anywhere on your body there has to be something in this film for you to enjoy. James Gunn is clearly having a lot of fun with this story and these characters and it shines through in the interactions. The visuals are top notch with a lot of great action and humor melding into one.

Drax, Rocket, Groot and Star-Lord all get great laugh out loud moments and each one brings a different style of humor so it doesn't feel repetitive. Cooper, Diesel, and Pratt in their roles were all fantastic and easily the highlights of the film. Batista as Drax was the biggest surprise of the movie for me. They decided to write him in a way I didn't expect and it really pays off with the tone of the other characters. Zoe Saldana as Gamora was the only one of the group that had moments not quite as memorable as the others and that could be because she was straight forward most of the time.

I don't have a lot of negative things to say towards the finished product. My screening was in 3D and while that's not a format I would choose on my own or even recommend, it worked quite well in this movie giving a lot of scenes the proper depth they needed. Any complaints may go towards a few characters not getting enough screen time. The Collector is highly underused, but Benicio del Toro sells himself in the limited time he was given. Ronan the Accuser is given a bit more to do though still not enough to fully fill out that main villain role and again Lee Pace was great with what he had to do.

Even with those small gripes the pacing of the whole movie was handeled very well as there were never any true slow moments and the scenes zipped by at a good speed. The important thing is that is never felt too long to the point that you want to check your watch and wonder when it will finally be over. There was one main slower moment when the group finally comes together near the end, but it was needed at that point.

As I said before, it's hard to compare this one fully with the other films in the Marvel Studios catalogue. It really opens up the story potentials to where the events of the next Avengers film can begin migrate towards. There weren't any huge direct references to the past movies (one main scene to remain unspoiled), but there were plenty of name drops to a large scope of the world comic fans already know. Guardians of the Galaxy is the most fun comic book film yet, even surpassing the great time I had with Avengers.

I'm riding a pretty high wave of excitement right after seeing the movie so my opinion could change on subsequent viewings, but this has been one of the best times at the theatre I've had since I was kid. It's a movie that is great for a family to go check out together much like Avengers was before it. Yet another success on screen for Marvel Studios that will hopefully translate at the box office.

Great review! But I'd like to know, is GOTG good for kids also? I have two that are under the age of 10, and I want to know if it is suitable for them to watch as well. Btw, both of them have see The Lego Movie and HTTYD2 at the theatre.

Wow Tee. Gotta say, for English not being your first language, you
Have some good grammar

That review was proof read and re-written a bunch of times. Credit goes to my bro and a user on CBM.

Yeah Collector has almost nothing to do here. Pretty much a thankless role.

This was fantastic. I want Bradley Cooper's Rocket Raccoon jawing at RDJ's Tony Stark in a film.

From what i've heard, Drax and Stark could be interesting too.

Just came from watching it, here's my impression.

Solid flick, and highly enjoyable. I'm not familiar with James Gunn's work, but man oh man did he nail the visuals on this film. There are some absolutely stunning outer space vistas here to feast your eyes on, but lucky for us it doesn't overwhelm you the way other films might. His also on point with the action, which is fine to look at it though not really distinguished, and the pacing, the film moves at a brisk pace but doesn't leave out you of breath.

The acting is also pretty good. I'll start first with the villains. Lee Pace was appropriately menacing as Ronan, but he felt kind of lacking in the scheme of things. Karen Gillan on the other hand was very good as Nebula. I saw absolutely no hint that this was the girl who played the sweet Amy Pond in Doctor Who. Djimon Honsou as Korath felt underused. As to first big reveal of James Brolin as Thanos, I couldn't help but feel underwhelmed. The few minutes of screentime he had, I didn't get the sense that this was the Cosmic Warlord everyone in the universe feared. His brief cameo at the end of Avengers was far more menacing, hopefully future appearances from Brolin in the role will evoke that feeling once more.

On to the heroes. Chris Pratt did a fine job leading the film as Peter Quill/Starlord. Though he does lack some gravitas that I like to see in my heroes, he's absolutely hilarious in the few scenes he lets his comic chops shine through. I wasn't too impressed with Zoe Saldana as Gamora. For a woman with the title of "The Deadliest Woman of the Galaxy", we didn't get see much of it besides the occasional action scene here and there, of which Miss Zoe is quite fine at doing. Bradley Cooper as Rocket was great. Despite being a... well, a cg raccoon, Cooper manages to bring out the character's snark, intelligence, anger and occasional bat**** crazyness to the fore. I was pleasantly surprised by Dave Batista as Drax. Despite playing what could have been a one note role, he manages to give Drax a pathos that makes us sympathize with his plight. But the real highlight for me though, was Groot. For a character who only says three lines throughout and is mostly a CG creation, he absolutely steals the movie from everyone. I don't know how much of Vin Diesel's performance informed the final presentation, but if he played a big part in making this talking tree the most memorable character in the film, I give him all the praise in the world.

Storywise the film kind of lacks, but the plot is servicable in getting our heroes where they need to go. It doesn't provide much in the way of twist of turns that made a film like The Winter Soldier so good however.

I guess you people are thinking I didn't like the film that much what with all the faults I found out in it. That's not true, I enjoyed the hell out of it. It's a very good film. It doesn't top this years champs The Winter Soldier and Days of Future Past, but it's mile ahead of the weak Amazing Spider-Man 2. As compared to Marvel's other cinematic offerings I'd rate it ahead of Avengers and the rest. A solid 8.5/10 from me.

For those of you who have seen it, do you think it's appropriate to take young kids to see GOTG? I heard the language may be saltiest than other Marvel movies, but before I take my kids to see this movie I have to find out more about it.

For those of you who have seen it, do you think it's appropriate to take young kids to see GOTG? I heard the language may be saltiest than other Marvel movies, but before I take my kids to see this movie I have to find out more about it.
I think it's okay to take your kids to see this film. There's hardly foul language in the film (really for me the most objectionable thing I saw was the finger Peter Quill gave to the Nova Corps). The violence can be a bit intense, but nothing really shocking for a PG-13 film. And I think the kids will get a kick out of all the spectacular visuals on display.

Hell, Disney Channel is advertising it.

Just came back from seeing the film. Wow. I really do think this is Marvel Studios best film to date. I may be a little bias, as I really do love DnA's run on the Guardians, but this film really does bring something different to the MCU as a whole. The cast were great in their roles; I was initially pretty concerned about Zoe Saldana and Dave Bautista, but both of them really surprised me in this, especially Bautista. The CGI and scope of the film is truly amazing. That being said, Thanos' face did seem a bit strange to me. I'm not sure if it was because it almost looked human, or it was his eyes, but something definitely seemed a bit odd to me. However, I think Josh Brolin did great with the amount of time he was given, and definitely felt like he had a strong presence throughout with Thanos. Speaking of villains, I thought Lee Pace and Karen Gillan gave really good performances. Although I wish we had a bit more with Ronan, he had a little bit of a Malekith vibe to me.

Overall I think the film had a great balance of action, story and character moments. However, I have a strong feeling there will be a select few who oppose to the amount of comedy in the film. So you might not enjoy it if you're looking for something really dark and gritty.

I apologise for the brief review. There is a lot more I could say, but I'd be writing for a long time, haha.

Personally, the film's a 10/10 for me.

Sorry I missed this when you asked earlier Raiden!

As horacthegrey said, the worst thing is the middle finger gag or maybe someone saying one or two words heavier than damn. I think the foul versions of poop and butt were used and that's as bad as it gets. The violence isn't bad at all, its what you'd expect. I do think they will love Rocket and Groot and just have a good time in general.

So I'd say you should be fine bringing them along.

This film is awesome. It lived up to the hype, for me. Everything is earned. The comedy, the action, the emotion.

It's a film where the characters drive everything forward. So if you like intricate plotting it may disappoint. That said, the plot is tight and easy to follow. With no real leaps in logic or plot holes. Even the most desperate of nit-pickers will struggle to find anything here.

For an example in how the characters drive the film and the action is earned, the sequence on Knowhere is fantastic. A lot of films make you scratch your head "how did the villain find the heroes?" or whatever. Well here the film just nails this perfectly using characterisation. Drax, pissed out of his face and angry as hell, actually sends a transmission to Ronan to come confront him. This kicks off a great sequence that is full of amazing visuals and real emotion. Totally earned.

And Thanos is majestic... BOY! haha

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"