Guardians of the Galaxy Guardians Of The Galaxy- User Review Thread. SPOILERS!

I really wasn't interested in this film but I decided to give it a shot. I have to say its one of the best films I've watched in a long time. I was wrong to prejudge this movie but in some ways I think low expetations made for a better viewing experience. Its without a doubt the funniest CBM I have ever watched and I loved all the characters. Drax and Rocket were the standouts. But the biggest compliment I can give the film is its visuals it looked stunning.

On the negatives I don't have too many but I thought Ronan was a terrible villain. He was practically Malkeith mark II with more dialogue. Also Karen Gillan's character didn't really do anything for me either. I'll say there were somepredictable moments but that's to be expected nowadays. Lastly the action scenes were lacking.

One final positive man that soundtrack was awesome.

Definitely one of Marvel's best films, I'd still put it under Avengers and Cap 2. All in all an 8.5/10.

Last edited:
I've watched this a few more times recently to see if my mind would change at all, unfortunately it still hasn't.

I'm on the completely other side of the spectrum than others as I didn't like it at all. It was probably Marvel's most bloated movie. That was a significant risk though given how much of the cosmic side they were attempting to unspool for the first time.

Visually it was a beautiful film to look at, especially that shot (straight off a comic panel) of Star-Lord jumping over a crevice to his ship on Morag. My No.1 reason for not liking it though was because of the insane amount of exposition. For some viewers that's OK, but for me personally I'm a show me don't tell me kind of guy. The worst offenses included:

- Drax's backstory
- How feared Thanos is
- How deadly Gamora is

How many times did we hear about Thanos and Gamora, yet we never are shown real examples of their prowess.

The scene in the Kiln where Drax first confronts Gamora was exceptionally bad. That little goon explaining who Drax was then he comes in and awkwardly delivers the line about his family. Batista was a real mixed bag as there were moments when he was fine and others where he was stiff as a board(same with Zoe Zaldana and Karen Killian). At one point we even have him drunk dialing Ronan. Really Gunn? I think that's the part of the movie where I started to mentally check out.

I'm a huge fan of Chris Pratt, but he was obnoxious in this, especially all of his Bro'-ing. The kiss attempt on Gamora was very forced and I thought the line towards the end of the movie about not being a "100% dick" was childish. There were other lines I thought were horrendous as well and left me really disliking the idea of James Gunn handling screen-writing duties. One scene in particular had Nebula flat-out calling Gamora stupid like some grade school student in an argument at recess.

The Ronan/Thanos interaction was really the only thing that made the film worth watching for me. Just something about seeing two big baddies in a confrontation. It's just too bad Marvel doesn't care much for it's "mini-bosses" very much, as Ronan we hardly knew ye. Lee Pace was excellent and owned what he had to work with.

Overall, I felt James Gunn was doing a bad Joss Whedon impression with this film. That scene with Groot slamming those Sakaarans was a blatant rip-off of the Hulk/Loki scene from Avengers. Same with the laughs he was going for with the Star-Lord dance off at a moment when you'd think the movie would be serious about the looming threat.

The Nova Corp felt too much like standard police fare. Hated Yondu being turned into a redneck. The fights were some of the most uninspired of any Marvel film. I dunno, just very disappointed. So much immaturity in this movie and it seems to get a pass for things other movies are chastized for. I think much of that is due to it being a space opera-style spectacle.

Last edited:
It's a good movie. Kind of like seeing Han Solo adventure film. The final act dragged on a bit though.

I really wasn't interested in this film but I decided to give it a shot. I have to say its one of the best films I've watched in a long time. I was wrong to prejudge this movie but in some ways I think low expetations made for a better viewing experience. Its without a doubt the funniest CBM I have ever watched and I loved all the characters. Drax and Rocket were the standouts. But the biggest compliment I can give the film is its visuals it looked stunning.

On the negatives I don't have too many but I thought Ronan was a terrible villain. He was practically Malkeith mark II with more dialogue. Also Karen Gillan's character didn't really do anything for me either. I'll say there were somepredictable moments but that's to be expected nowadays. Lastly the action scenes were lacking.

One final positive man that soundtrack was awesome.

Definitely one of Marvel's best films, I'd still put it under Avengers and Cap 2. All in all an 8.5/10.
I would put it above Cap 2 easily. Whew was that a snorefest sequel for me and waste of Redford :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"