Guy Ritchie Revives A "King Arthur" Saga - Part 1

By Garth Franklin Monday January 27th 2014 05:30PM
Warner Bros. Pictures is having another go at making a "King Arthur" film after several failed attempts, this time though the plan is more ambitious.
Guy Ritchie, who was linked once before, is again said to be in the director's chair for this big-budget fantasy retelling of the Arthur legend.
The plan is for the project to run six films, with Joby Harold having penned the script for the first. Akiva Goldsman, Lionel Wigram and Harold and Tory Tunnell will produce.
Ritchie and Wigram previously developed a version which fell apart when David Dobkin's "Arthur and Lancelot" looked much closer to production. Ultimately that project never came to fruition due to the expense involved.
Source: Deadline

Same here. I never really understood the love for him that I saw online.

I enjoyed Snatch and Sherlock Holmes, but I think that was more due to those casts than Richie. I feel like I enjoyed those movies in spite of him, not because of him.

I have always liked Ritchie, but it was his Sherlock that made him really click for me.

It's no secret now, but yeah the cameo of David Beckham is there but kinda forgettable.

Thank God David Beckham is in this. It's been a little while since I've seen his charisma-free ass needlessly shoehorned into movies, TV shows and commercials. Glad to see that at least Guy Ritchie is keeping the dream alive.

Okay, just got done watching this. Overall prognosis: not a bad film by any means, but one that has glaring flaws and an often clashing tone between the two genres that dominate the film. This feels like the awkward and unholy union of classic sword and sorcery 80's cheese with a stylish criminal thriller from Richie's previous work, with occasionally schizophrenic shifts into high fantasy and period drama. The film's entertaining for me as an Arthurian fan, but that's partially because I was analyzing it to see areas of potential throughout. To whoever said this film would be most hurt by the *disappointments* in it instead of by its *failures*... That's probably spot on for its largest issues.

Notes:
+ Jude Law's Vortigern is probably the most solidly consistent element of the film, from both a performance and conceptual standpoint... At least until his Skeletor phase. He's playing what amounts to the reconstructed Evil Uncle archetype combined with Evil Sorceror powers. The character has enough moments of weariness and tenderness to feel human, while still being an utterly selfish and ruthless monster. Law acts the $#!+ out of both of the scenes where the character sacrifices members of his family for his demonic form. And awesomely, the character is surprisingly faithful to his original legend; just like the legendary "Superbus Tyrannus," the film's Vortigern betrays his liege while in cahoots with a hostile enemy, has an interest in human sacrifice, and even dies in a crumbling and burning tower.
+ Charlie Hunman does a fine job acting as the lead. The character is at times taxed by an overbearing and chaotic script, but the performance is strong, and the film does a good job of showing leadership qualities in the character, often by hilariously highlighting how similar feudal rule is to gang leadership.
+ The music is awesome, as others have said.

- From the moment the film introduces its half-aborted backstory about a war between man and Mage, you can feel the cuts that were made and taste the old 80's style storytelling. The second they use Mordred as the name of the short-lived evil Sorceror attacking Camelot with massive elephants in the prologue, you know your in for some generic storytelling in some broad sweeps. The "Mages" are only mentioned tangentially after the intial sequence, suggesting they were either supposed to be big in sequels or cut out of the film.
- The above cheese from 80's movies is continued by giant snakes and Cthulhu-mermaids making deals with Vortigern, at times being played in a manner reminiscent of Conan the Barbarian, which would be good... But it just doesn't quite click at times, and Vortigern's Skeletor form encapsulates the problem. It's visually cool, but has only as much power as the plot demands and takes away from Law's excellent portrayal by removing him from the scene entirely.
- Thecheese just doesn't work well with the London Gangster stuff when the latter becomes central. Vortigern's thuggish liutenant never really feels like he belongs, even though th actor is clearly skilled. Add in the somewhat monotone performance of the Mage/Ex-Gwenhwyfar, and you've got some significant dead spots in the film.

The Double Toasted review is so fantastic. :funny:

An attempt to be subversive towards the classic story....or something?

I say bring back Sam Neill's Merlin.

This thing is gonna lose SO much money. It's tracking for what...25 mil opening on a 175 mil budget BEFORE advertising? Ouch... Hunnam is gonna have a hell of a time getting anything front and center with the track record he's building. Maybe he just isn't leading man material. That's kinda how I feel about Orlando Bloom. He can't carry a film, but he makes a perfectly serviceable number 2 or 3.

I'd have to imagine Guy Ritchie won't be free of the blowback either.

I'd have to imagine Guy Ritchie won't be free of the blowback either.

Well, having done The Man From UNCLE right before this doesn't bode overly well for him, but he's got some pretty big winners on his resume. Hunnam has **** all. Sure, City of Z is getting great reviews, but nobody is gonna see it.

He's got his next film lined up. Is Disney just going to fire him from Aladdin?

All due respect to Guy Ritchie, but what executive said yes to a $175 million King Arthur film as a potential franchise starter for a six-movie series?

He's got his next film lined up. Is Disney just going to fire him from Aladdin?

All due respect to Guy Ritchie, but what executive said yes to a $175 million King Arthur film as a potential franchise starter for a six-movie series?

I have no idea, but you're absolutely right. That's an astronomical amount of money to throw at something like this, but as far as Aladdin, isn't he already starting **** over that too? Questionable casting...whether there will or won't be music involved...they may not fire him, but I bet they put his ass on a leash for sure.

Well, having done The Man From UNCLE right before this doesn't bode overly well for him, but he's got some pretty big winners on his resume. Hunnam has **** all. Sure, City of Z is getting great reviews, but nobody is gonna see it.

While I don't think Hunnam is going to be a leading man any time soon, I'm not sure that I buy that the failure of this film is going to fall entirely on him.

While I don't think Hunnam is going to be a leading man any time soon, I'm not sure that I buy that the failure of this film is going to fall entirely on him.

I don't think it will fall entirely on him by any means. This whole thing seems like it was a misstep from day one, but the finger is definitely gonna be pointed in his direction as a leading factor. They'll bring up Pacific Rim, and how he just doesn't have the pull to be the face of a franchise. But then they'll start throwing it around to the folks that gave him the gig, etc. Maybe he SHOULD have taken the 50 Shades job.

I have no idea, but you're absolutely right. That's an astronomical amount of money to throw at something like this, but as far as Aladdin, isn't he already starting **** over that too? Questionable casting...whether there will or won't be music involved...they may not fire him, but I bet they put his ass on a leash for sure.
Haven't been following Aladdin too much.

Haven't been following Aladdin too much.

I don't know much...just Will Smith trying to nab the Genie gig and Richie stating that the movie would turn out to be whatever it turns out to be when asked about the music. Idk...that whole project seems like it's in the wrong hands.

:funny: Those 6 King Arthur films arent going to happen.

I saw a TV spot for this on Conan last night. Apparently Excalibur is the equivalent of Thor's hammer?

This thing is gonna lose SO much money. It's tracking for what...25 mil opening on a 175 mil budget BEFORE advertising? Ouch... Hunnam is gonna have a hell of a time getting anything front and center with the track record he's building. Maybe he just isn't leading man material. That's kinda how I feel about Orlando Bloom. He can't carry a film, but he makes a perfectly serviceable number 2 or 3.

True...

Personally I'd blame Ritchie more than Hunnam, but Hunnam will be made the scapegoat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"