Oblivion - Part 1

Joseph Kosinski Enters "Oblivion"
By Garth Franklin
Thursday July 30th 2009
05:34AM
Joseph Kosinski ("Tron Legacy") has signed to direct actioneer "Oblivion", based on his own concept, as a feature film for Radical Pictures says The Hollywood Reporter

The story is set in post-apocalyptic Earth, where civilization lives above the clouds and scavengers illegally collect artifacts from the polluted and destroyed surface below.

When one young scavenger discovers a crashed spacecraft planetside--and a beautiful women within--he rejoices at the find. Little does he realize that his discovery will lead him to a journey filled with romance, adventure and unimaginable danger.

Kosinski will produce along with Barry Levine, David Fincher and David Morrison.

Lol im hearing the soundtrack of this and bam , a part of bane's motif theme in it mixed with some other bat's stuff.
the score is very different than TDKR IMO. which song?

Finally saw this today on dvd, liked it a lot. 8 out of 10 for me. Happy to see Tom in a good one.

I didn't watch this during it's theater run. Didn't interest me.

I tried watching when it came out on Blu-Ray. I got bored.

I gave it a second chance. I thought it was good, nothing great or anything. Tom Cruise and Riseborough gave great performances. The action and visuals were superb. The pacing and storytelling wasn't great though. Overall, it's a visually stunning Sci-Fi with some nice twists and action.

7/10

Not saying the scene was bad, but did anyone kind of cringe when Cruise was reenacting the Football game?

One thing I liked about this movie was it slow pace. I can appreciate an action movie that moves at it's own pace instead of the formula of action scene at elast every 20 minutes.

I didn't like the pacing at all. Felt way too slow for me. The action was really freaking cool in this movie though.

i am waiting until this kind of posters will become more popular than the photoshop ones. i would like this kind of psoters in theaters on big walls.

"F**k you Sally"

That was one of the best parts in the movie lol. :woot:

It doesn't help that Tom Cruise is the one reenacting either.

I'm looking forward to Cruise and Kosinski's next movie.

I wonder if this movie did poorly simply because most Americans don't know why a drone is, and thus had no idea what the movie was about.

I doubt that. It was an okay movie but it wasn't anything special.

I wonder if this movie did poorly simply because most Americans don't know why a drone is, and thus had no idea what the movie was about.

All the original sci-fi films this year didn't do very well (Oblivion, Elysium, After Earth, Pacific Rim) except for Gravity.

Elysium, Gravity, Oblivion, and Pacific Rim each had their box office receipts greatly exceed their production budgets.

In any case, I don't think "they're all the same". I'm not talking about those movies, I'm talking about this one. Oblivion is a diligently constructed allegory for drone warfare, and most Americans don't know what a drone is, so it could not have resonated.

Last edited:
Elysium, Gravity, Oblivion, and Pacific Rim each had their box office receipts greatly exceed their production budgets.

You're talking Americans so we're looking at North American box office receipts (not worldwide) where every one of the films underperformed. And they all made around the same amount 90-100 M.

Gravity, of course, is the exception.

Why don't you think Americans know what drones are?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"