Godzilla: King of the Monsters (2019) - Part 1

Kong: Fatzilla, eat your veggies.

Godzilla: I'm not gonna do this s*** again.

If they do not reference the tree scene, then I'm not paying for admission. :o

Godzilla takes down a 3 headed dragon from space that can cause cataclysmic storms from its wings alone, but loses to a giant mythical ape.

I really can’t see how they justify that but whatever.

That’s what I’m saying. Godzilla losing to king to begin with was dumb. It’s a monkey who falls for blondes and can get hurt by planes

Enjoyed this even more on a second viewing, even liked some of the human characters more, but yeah, the monsters is where it’s at, and they are all great here.

Hopefully GvK performs better in the box office than KOTM because if it doesn't I don't think we will see another one.
We re actually lucky we re even getting GvK in the first place.

We re lucky enough this movie was under production before KOTM opened at cinemas because im pretty sure WB would have some second thoughts after that box office disaster of KOTM.

Godzilla KOTM actually lost money (when accounting for marketing costs) with that $385,9 mil WW gross.

Best case scenario it just broke even with no profit.

If GvK doesnt hit $500+ mil the franchise is in trouble.

Godzilla - $529,1 mil on a $160 mil budget.
Kong Skull Island - $566,7 mil on a $185 mil budget.
Godzilla KOTM - $385,9 mil on a $170 mil budget.

Im pretty sure all 3 movies had a marketing budget of at least $50 mil which of course can be covered by home video and merchandising sales.

Not being able to hit $600+ mil though with such high production costs makes the overall performance just okish. Add to that the subpar performance of KOTM and the situation is not even close for being good.

Caught this on cable. I know I’m complaining about realism in a movie with a three headed space lizard, but one thing I can’t get over. Boston is destroyed like 9/11 ten times over. There’s dust and debris everywhere. Yet characters can breathe and see normally. The amount of toxicity in the air would take years to dissipate.

When it comes to monster movies and destruction and fights this delivered on all points loved it. Vera’s character yes was dumb and annoying but you know what? Didn’t care because of all the badass **** we got. That’s what these kinds of movies are made for. In my eyes anyway. If we get amazing Human characters here and there thats a plus, but if not I seriously don’t care. I’m here for the monsters and destruction. And they deliver :up:

Vera's character was supposed to be unlikeable, confused and incoherent. There ARE people like her in real life, and they're bringing us nearer to doom each day.

As a three headed space dragon, I can unfortunately confirm there are people like Ghidorah out there among our community giving us a bad name.

Vera's character was supposed to be unlikeable, confused and incoherent. There ARE people like her in real life, and they're bringing us nearer to doom each day.

Oh I know there are trust me haha, and it’s really scary.

I know them, as well.
And additionally, hers and Kyle Chandler's characters are two parts of the same coin, as how they depict two different approaches to grief.
I think there's much more to the human characters in this movie than people give it credit for. Could they have done more with it? Probably. But still...

Last edited:
Finally saw this during an HBO free weekend and I thought it was a huge improvement over the first installment. The torn family on opposing sides of the Titan conflict worked well, and the use of the All Star Kaiju, Team Godzilla, the Oxygen Destroyer and the Orca gave this one more of the feel of a 60s Toho flick than an Americanized installment. I'll probably be seeing the next installment in the theaters.

Just caught this on Netflix... Maaaaan, this was painfully boring the whole way through. Mind-numbingly stupid. This series is 0/3 for me.

Last edited:
This has to be the most polarizing film since... Man of Steel maybe? People seem to either think it was a blast or hate it with ever fiber of their being, lol.

I personally thought it was a fun ride and I liked the characters a lot more than the ones in the last Godzilla movie (and as for the ones who returned, at least Watanabe was utilized better) but it’s really a one-time experience. I tried watching it again after getting the Blu-Ray and it’s just not as enjoyable the second time around. And you can’t help but think at the end, “Umm... how is anything LEFT of the world after all that?”

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"