Gym Membership & Legal (UK)

Flash525

The Scarlet Messenger
Reaction score
I'm not too hot on the legal proceedings and what not, and am wondering whether anyone here knows their UK Law and is in a position to offer me guidance.

Long story short, my gym membership reactivation (post lockdown) has been rejected - because I've complained too much about the status of their equipment. Quite a bit of their equipment is old, dated, some of it is broken (but not unusable - I'm talking about benches that don't quite lay flat but are still useable), there's rubber missing off some of the dumbbells, and there's some equipment (cable weights) where the protective rubber is missing or the cables themselves need replacing.

Suffice to say, I've complained and raised the issues before, and nothing has been done. The gym is a private one owned by someone who has a couple of sports cars - he's very money orientated, so it stands to reason that he'd put in as little as he can from a financial perspective.

In any case, as stated above, my membership reactivation (it was frozen by my choice when the lockdown came into play) has been rejected on the basis of these interactions (none of them violent or hostile) and I'm wondering whether there's actually anything I can do about it from a legal point of view.

There are other gyms in the area, but this one is the closest, and it's on my way home from work, so suitable, and it has all the facilities I need from a gym, even if some of the kit standards is questionable.

But yeah, is there any way (or point) in trying to chase this, or do I just cut my losses and try elsewhere?

Cut your losses and try elsewhere. The amount of money you'll spend trying to fight this will be useless. That's even if someone takes your case (which they wouldn't).

Just a caveat that I'm from Canada but our laws and the UK's are both common.

Would you really want to spend time at that gym after fighting this? It would be awkward.

It's probably not worth the effort, to be honest. Frankly, given how ****ing difficult it is to get these sharks to honor contract cancellations, you should count your blessings. Move on to greener pastures.

Would you really want to spend time at that gym after fighting this? It would be awkward.
Ordinarily, no, but I've been a member with this gym for over ten years, and I've a nice little package - something that's not going to be repeatable elsewhere. That and it's between home and work, so is ideal for me. The other local gyms in the area are more of a detour. I have to literally cycle by this gym in order to get home, so it's sometimes an incentive to go.

I doubt it would be too awkward either; it's only the management team that I'm having this issue with, and they're rarely around within the actual gym itself; they're upstairs in their offices doing whatever it is they do.

Cut your losses and try elsewhere. The amount of money you'll spend trying to fight this will be useless. That's even if someone takes your case (which they wouldn't).
It's probably not worth the effort, to be honest. Frankly, given how ****ing difficult it is to get these sharks to honor contract cancellations, you should count your blessings. Move on to greener pastures.
I'm going to try and get a face to face with the person who's written me off tomorrow (I went in today, but they don't work Tuesday's - go figure). If they continue the proceedings, I'll just write them a lovely review on Facebook and Google and then move on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"