Hannah Montana vs. Wolverine!

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
Disney has balls, man!

check this out. Its from ComingSoon.net:

"It looks like X-Men Origins: Wolverine will have new competition on May 1, 2009, as Disney will release The Hannah Montana Movie on that date."

wow.

Hannah unless something happens in a year to diminish the popularity will kill this film. Fox would be stupid to place Wolverine up against it.

How big of a dent to you think Hannah Montana would put into Wolverine? Are they even catering to the same demographic? I'm kind of surprised by Disney's move. Maybe they think the two are films are different enough not to hurt one another... or maybe they're just playing dirty.

it's dirt playing, this is a big blow...

unless they specifically sell wolverine to a older teen/young adult market. Perhaps that has always been the x-men demographic but i don't know how much they are relying on the toys to sell so...

*slaps Disney* :mad:

Why's everyone ganging up on Wolvie? He has to battle Hannah Montanna opening weekend, and then JJ Abrams Star Trek the next week???

I think Fox should release it on Memorial Day weekend like with the X movies

It's called counterprogramming - the mothers with the girls can go see this and the guys can go see Wolverine.

This is just like when X2 was released on the same day as the Lizzie McGuire movie.

It won't hurt Wolverine, nor will it hurt Hannah Montana. Two completely different demographics.

Someone please tell me.....

WTF is Hannah Montana?!?! o_O

*slaps Disney* :mad:

Why's everyone ganging up on Wolvie? He has to battle Hannah Montanna opening weekend, and then JJ Abrams Star Trek the next week???

I wouldn't worry *too* much about Star Trek. When X2 was released I was worried about it's B.O. as The Matrix Reloaded was set for release a week or two after it(think it was 2 weeks), and that was a much anticipated event, much more than this Star Trek re-vamp to mainstream audiences imo.
Another poster has said the Lizzie Maguire thing was out at the same time as X2 and it didn't give it too much trouble either.
I have no idea what this Hannah Montana thing is, first I've heard of it.

Popular Disney Channel show about a young teenage girl who lives a double life as an average school student and a rock star. Massiveeeee huge thing in the states.

I can't be totally sure, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that most of the people who plan on seeing Wolverine aren't going to change their minds once they find out Hannah Montana comes out the same day.

I've never even heard of Hannah Montana. It's just one of those dumb American things.

Thats a cool avvy Bamfer. I think Wolverine will cater to a slightly older more male demographic than the x-films anyway. I mean, there'll be some overlap. but a solo wolverine movie SHOULD mean more violence and unnerving events, where as the x-movies were really more about the universal theme of coexistence. I don't think it will be a problem.

first off, thank god, your taking about her own movie
for a second there, I thought, she had a role in the movie LOL

I kinda, don't see the big deal, I'd think (or at least hope) that the target audiences are very different for these two type of movies
isn't Hannah Montana's target audiences, teenage girls 9-16ish, teen boys who think she cute (or are gay lol), and, I guess, the parents who have to take the younger kids
that hardly sounds like the same fan base or target audiences, that wolverine is trying to capture
(no doubt that the HM movie will do great given the popularity of the character, but, I don't see why it would take business away from, Wolverine)

I've never even heard of Hannah Montana. It's just one of those dumb American things.
My point exactly

You guys are right about the demographics thing. I just hope most of those with lil boys and girls dont have to pick hannah over logan that weekend, lol. But yeah, Logan should be fine. I keep forgetting that this will curve a bit older than other x-films.

^these days, they'll probably Just sent there kid to see HM alone and go see Wolverine them selfs

actually, it might be good for those, older comic fans who have kids, but, don't want to take them to watch Wolverine, to have somewhere else to sent them

Last edited:

She's also one of the more popular shows on Disney Channel UK too. :cwink:

The Hannah Montana concert movie opened this month on only 687 screens and still made $31 million in it's opening weekend. However, I think a lot of that had to do with it being a film of the concert no one could get tickets to, and that Disney originally announced that it would only play for a week. It tanked the second weekend and had pretty much faded since.

But I think Hannah Montana popularity is so huge right now that even if it fades by next year it will still be big. Should be an interesting weekend.

"Hannah Montana" is a TV show that airs on the Disney Channel and is a character played by Miley Cyrus (daughter of Billy Ray). Miley also does live concerts as the character and had a movie come out on Feb. 1 titled "Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus: Best of Both Worlds Concert" which grossed $31 million on opening weekend and so far has grossed $59.8 million. I expect "Wolverine" to do much more than that!

Don't worry guys.

Wolverine will be just fine. This is counterprogramming just like Alvin and Chipmunks was released against I am Legend and guess what both had awesome opening weekends and both did $200+ million in north america.

IAL - $75 million ow
A&C - $44 million ow

Hannah Montana is a big big phenom amongst kids (think High School Dance). So sadly unlike Alvin & the Chipmunks, this thing actually is competition.

The only question is, are kids still gonna be goin nuts for this girl in 2009?

She's also one of the more popular shows on Disney Channel UK too. :cwink:

The Hannah Montana concert movie opened this month on only 687 screens and still made $31 million in it's opening weekend. However, I think a lot of that had to do with it being a film of the concert no one could get tickets to, and that Disney originally announced that it would only play for a week. It tanked the second weekend and had pretty much faded since.

But I think Hannah Montana popularity is so huge right now that even if it fades by next year it will still be big. Should be an interesting weekend.

You're assuming I get Disney Channel UK. It must be a satellite/cable channel, it certainly isn't a free channel. The free ones are enough for me! I can hardly find anything to watch as it is!

This could be a good move - all the horrid kids will go to see Hannah Montana and we won't get them in the Wolverine auditoriums! Yay!

Kids turning to Hannah Montana instead of Wolverine= No hope for the youth :(

You're assuming I get Disney Channel UK. It must be a satellite/cable channel, it certainly isn't a free channel. The free ones are enough for me! I can hardly find anything to watch as it is!

This could be a good move - all the horrid kids will go to see Hannah Montana and we won't get them in the Wolverine auditoriums! Yay!

Same, I didnt think Disney channel even existed over here anymore =\

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"