Transformers Has Bay made a statement why the most-popular SOUNDWAVE was not in the film?

toddly6666

Civilian
Reaction score
Has Bay made a statement why the most-popular Transformer, SOUNDWAVE, was excluded from the film? I just don't get it. Did it have to do with the size-shifting reasons (small radio to big robot?), so they just excluded Soundwave in order to create a new small annoying gremlin robot, FRENZY, to transform into a radio?

These are transforming robots - it's not a stretch of movie reality if some robots dramatically shift sizes as well, such as Megatron transforming into a small gun, Soundwave transforming into a small radio, Blaster transforming into a small radio, or Perceptor transforming into a microscope. As long as their transformations are consistent, it's okay.

a) Don't make an opinion sound like a fact. Just because you love Soundwave doesn't mean hes the most popular

b) Please. No Size shifting. Its an idiotic concept that should never ... ever .. be implemented.

c) Soundwave fan and don't even realize that Frenzy is NOT a new robot. He was Soundwave's minion.

d) Its been explained MANY times why Soundwave is not in the film. Initially, Soundwave was meant to be Blackout, a large surveilliance helicopter. During Comicon 2005, that idea was met unfavorably by the public. In the script, Frenzy was meant to be Soundwave but all the producers realized that Frenzy's character is quite possibly the worst injustice that they could do to Soundwave. A decision was taken to keep Soundwave out unless they can do him right. Hes supposed to be in the 2nd film which suits the story well. At least this way, he can now have a proper part with the entire premise being laid out.

Blackout would've been good as soundwave, except he dies. Soundwave should die in the hands of.......Blaster, or not die at all.

I like Soundwave but saying he is more popular than Optimus Prime and Megatron is just not accurate. I would even put it to a worldwide vote who is more popular Soundwave or Starscream :cwink:

It's obvious that a Transformer film would include Optimus Prime, Megatron and Starscream. That would be like excluding Duke, Destro, and Cobra Commander from a G.I. Joe movie. It would be cinematic suicide if they did not include the main characters of Transformers or G.I. Joe in their movies (although, there are some pretty depressing reports of the G.I. Joe script). I meant to say popular in a way that "how could this character not be in the movie?" We all know that there are tons of G1 Transformer characters, but Soundwave should have been in the film or definitely be in the sequel no matter what, especially retaining his look and voice. It would be the same as not having Zartan, Snake Eyes, or Storm Shadow in a G.I. Joe movie. Flames on Optimus Prime is no big deal in comparison to making Soundwave not a Tape player or not having his unique voice. If they used the name "Soundwave" for that Frenzy character, it would have been just wrong. How can they use Soundwave now? If he is classic Soundwave in the sequel, won't people say "another radio?" It would be repetition. So, it seems like they are going to make over Soundwave which would be injustice and not doing his character right. I feel like they already screwed it up by having Frenzy as a radio, when Frenzy should have been a tape (or at least a CD).

Size shifting was in the original Transformers cartoon. Was that idiotic? Megatron's iconic look was a hand gun, not some tank and not some nerf-looking water cannon.

It's obvious that a Transformer film would include Optimus Prime, Megatron and Starscream. That would be like excluding Duke, Destro, and Cobra Commander from a G.I. Joe movie. It would be cinematic suicide if they did not include the main characters of Transformers or G.I. Joe in their movies (although, there are some pretty depressing reports of the G.I. Joe script). I meant to say popular in a way that "how could this character not be in the movie?" We all know that there are tons of G1 Transformer characters, but Soundwave should have been in the film or definitely be in the sequel no matter what, especially retaining his look and voice. It would be the same as not having Zartan, Snake Eyes, or Storm Shadow in a G.I. Joe movie. Flames on Optimus Prime is no big deal in comparison to making Soundwave not a Tape player or not having his unique voice. If they used the name "Soundwave" for that Frenzy character, it would have been just wrong. How can they use Soundwave now? If he is classic Soundwave in the sequel, won't people say "another radio?" It would be repetition. So, it seems like they are going to make over Soundwave which would be injustice and not doing his character right. I feel like they already screwed it up by having Frenzy as a radio, when Frenzy should have been a tape (or at least a CD).

Size shifting was in the original Transformers cartoon. Was that idiotic? Megatron's iconic look was a hand gun, not some tank and not some nerf-looking water cannon.

Hi. Yes it was idiotic.

Soundwave in no way has to be a cassette player, in fact it's a fairly useless mode anyways. He has already been a Stealth Bomber and Missile Tank and met with fairly positive reception. Transformers has the ability to and will continue to (as it has over the last 20 years) change the alt.modes of characters in an effort to update them to a modern era. Mass shifting is stupid, and was simply introduced because Transformers needed a way to write the microchange and Gun Robo lines Hasbro bought into the show.

Soundwave is the most popular?
Hardly. Optimus and Megatron are easily the most popular. Soundwave falls in with the likes of Cheetor, Hot Shot, Nemesis Prime, and Waspinator. Certainly popular and beloved fan favorite in the franchise but aren't nearly as repeated or reused as other characters.

Bay/or the writers have not stated why he wasn't in TF1 but they said he'd be in TF2.

This Soundwave is acceptable?
soundwave_2.jpg

I can't even find a picture of him as a tank.

I only see this Soundwave as acceptable:
soundwave.jpg

If you only accept a tape-deck Soundwave your going to be in for constant dissappointment.

That pic is of the Legends Cybertron SW, ofcourse it looks like crap. It's a goddamn legends. It's only 4cm tall.
8091940432d_a400.jpg

This is what Cybertron Soundwave really looks like, in all his Voyager majesty. Notice his mini-con sidekick Laserbeak.

Machine wars Soundwave was a tank like armoured vehicle.

Go-Bot Soundwave was a stock car.

Beast Wars Soundwave was a bat that transformed into an aliigator.

And lastly. TF: Heroes Soundwave is going to be a car that looks a lot like a Toyota bB.
DSCF1329.jpg

Laserbeak is his guitar BTW.

Golgo13:The Hitman said:
Bay/or the writers have not stated why he wasn't in TF1 but they said he'd be in TF2.
Actually he is in TF1. He's called Blackout. Even after 2 name changes they didn't change his face at all. Which looks remarkably like Soundwave.

Hardly. Optimus and Megatron are easily the most popular. Soundwave falls in with the likes of Cheetor, Hot Shot, Nemesis Prime, and Waspinator. Certainly popular and beloved fan favorite in the franchise but aren't nearly as repeated or reused as other characters.

In geek circles I would agree with you. In the larger pop culture, I'm not so sure. If you're in college putting up a poster on your wall (at least before this movie) of Optimus Prime is DORK personified. Putting up a poster of Soundwave is COOL. Soundwave is the equivelant of Spock. He's been sampled countless times in Trance/Club songs, dancing vids, and he's easily the most "memorable" transformer-- if only because of his voice and his alt mode.

He's not MY favorite either (Optimus Prime, and comic book Shockwave is ;) ).... but I'm talking about larger pop culture coolness factor and acceptance. Everyone knows Kirk. Everybody loves Spock.

There was simply a lot of disagreement as to how he should've been pulled off in the film. Intitially, Blackout was going to be Soundwave. I would've been fine with that.

I don't want Soundwave to be a tape deck in TF2, and would prefer if he were some sort of vehicle. For me, there are three things that the character must have in the sequel:

- Classic voice
- Recognizable design
- Minions

This Soundwave is acceptable?
soundwave_2.jpg

I can't even find a picture of him as a tank.

I only see this Soundwave as acceptable:
soundwave.jpg
Well, why don't you put together $200 million and make the sequel yourself. Get over yourself, pal.

Has Bay made a statement why the most-popular Transformer, SOUNDWAVE, was excluded from the film? I just don't get it. Did it have to do with the size-shifting reasons (small radio to big robot?), so they just excluded Soundwave in order to create a new small annoying gremlin robot, FRENZY, to transform into a radio?

These are transforming robots - it's not a stretch of movie reality if some robots dramatically shift sizes as well, such as Megatron transforming into a small gun, Soundwave transforming into a small radio, Blaster transforming into a small radio, or Perceptor transforming into a microscope. As long as their transformations are consistent, it's okay.

The small annoying robot Frenzy WAS originally written into the script as Soundwave.But after seeing what Bay was to doing with the character,the writhers renamed him.

There was simply a lot of disagreement as to how he should've been pulled off in the film. Intitially, Blackout was going to be Soundwave. I would've been fine with that.

I don't want Soundwave to be a tape deck in TF2, and would prefer if he were some sort of vehicle. For me, there are three things that the character must have in the sequel:

- Classic voice
- Recognizable design
- Minions

You got that wrong.It was Frenzy who was going to be Soundwave not Blackout.The writers renamed him after seeing what Bay wanted the charter to behave like.

They initially wanted Blackout to be Soundwave. It was after they changed their minds about that that they tried to make Frenzy Soundwave.

They initially wanted Blackout to be Soundwave. It was after they changed their minds about that that they tried to make Frenzy Soundwave.

Blackout was to be Vortex as in the early scripts but they changed it because of the name's conection to a gestalt team.

Look at the Decepticons who WERE in the film...other than Megatron and Starscream the choices sucked in my opinion. So many Decepticons to choose from, Soundwave wasn't the only one left out. Where is Shockwave? Blitzwing? Astrotrain? All of the Autobots were recognizable popular G1 characters, Optimus Prime, Ironhide, Ratchet, Jazz and Bumblebee. Of course the Decepticons really got zero screen time comparativley speaking so I as I have said before in other threads the sequel better be 'Con heavy. Just my opinion but I would have made the Decepticons Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave with Lazerbeak (instead of Blackout with Scorponok), Shockwave and Blitzwing. Kill Lazerbeak off, Soundwave can then replace him with Ravage for the sequel

I'd like see Soundwave appear as something like this:

43ym5heyc8.jpg

33p617dro9.jpg

4e1gephvp1.jpg

Soundwave_Wallpaper_by_timshinn73.jpg

Size shifting wouldn't be an issue, and it'd be true to the character's role as recon.

I didnt read the whole thread but there WAS mass shiftign in the movie, the allspark, frenzy and MEGATRON mass shifted, so having soundwave mass shift precedent has already been set, SOUND WAY SHOULD MASS SHIFT!!!

by the way they said they didnt wana do sound wave in this movie till they could do it right IE setting the mass shift precidnet, well its been set bring in sound wave!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"