Transformers Has Bay made a statement why the most-popular SOUNDWAVE was not in the film?

So overall, there is no general consensus on the story of Soundwave, since everyone is saying Soundwave was supposed to be Blackout, or supposed to be Frenzy, or supposed to be in the 2nd film. So, nothing was really clarified, just rumored...

CFLASH: that's exactly what I meant - Soundwave is the most-popular acceptable cool character. Eventhough I'm not crazy about Grimlock, I would say Grimlock as well. I would even rather wear a tee-shirt with a Sharkacon rather than a shirt with Optimus or Megatron.

LARS: those other versions are sort of depressing. I can't see him with wings and I can't see him as that rinky-dink tank. Was that a Happy meal toy? It's just not him.

DJCORNPLAKE: now that re-interpretation of Soundwave is awesome, especially with the wheels that transform into his minions. I hope Michael Bay gets a look at your picture of Soundwave.

I didnt read the whole thread but there WAS mass shiftign in the movie, the allspark, frenzy and MEGATRON mass shifted, so having soundwave mass shift precedent has already been set, SOUND WAY SHOULD MASS SHIFT!!!

When did Frenzy and Megatron mass shift? :huh:

Well I am glad Soundwave wasn't in this film. Considering most of the Decepticons got very little screen time it would have a shame to get little to no Soundwave.

The sequel should hopefully be more centred on Autobots VS Decepticons as opposed to humans VS Decepticons with little Autobot involvment.

Soundwave also will not be a cassete stereo. He was only that because G1 came out in the 80's. He really does need to be some form of communication device though, the concepts (albeit fan art) above are perfect.

I just hope that Soundwave still has a similar voice as he did in the toon.

When did Frenzy and Megatron mass shift? :huh:

Frenzy managed to transform into Mikela's mobile phone...which when seen just looks so wrong.

Megatron? I am don't know...his transformation into his vehicular mode didn't look like mass shifting.

You got that wrong.It was Frenzy who was going to be Soundwave not Blackout.The writers renamed him after seeing what Bay wanted the charter to behave like.

Blackout and Frenzy were both slated to be Soundwave at different points.

I have to admit, I find it kinda of funny that the Soundwave debate is going to continue.

Frenzy managed to transform into Mikela's mobile phone...which when seen just looks so wrong.

Megatron? I am don't know...his transformation into his vehicular mode didn't look like mass shifting.

It was only his head that transformed into the phone, though.

It's obvious that a Transformer film would include Optimus Prime, Megatron and Starscream. That would be like excluding Duke, Destro, and Cobra Commander from a G.I. Joe movie. It would be cinematic suicide if they did not include the main characters of Transformers or G.I. Joe in their movies (although, there are some pretty depressing reports of the G.I. Joe script). I meant to say popular in a way that "how could this character not be in the movie?" We all know that there are tons of G1 Transformer characters, but Soundwave should have been in the film or definitely be in the sequel no matter what, especially retaining his look and voice. It would be the same as not having Zartan, Snake Eyes, or Storm Shadow in a G.I. Joe movie. Flames on Optimus Prime is no big deal in comparison to making Soundwave not a Tape player or not having his unique voice. If they used the name "Soundwave" for that Frenzy character, it would have been just wrong. How can they use Soundwave now? If he is classic Soundwave in the sequel, won't people say "another radio?" It would be repetition. So, it seems like they are going to make over Soundwave which would be injustice and not doing his character right. I feel like they already screwed it up by having Frenzy as a radio, when Frenzy should have been a tape (or at least a CD).

Size shifting was in the original Transformers cartoon. Was that idiotic? Megatron's iconic look was a hand gun, not some tank and not some nerf-looking water cannon.

yes. very.

There was always going to be four main transformers--optimus prime, megatron, bumblebee and starscream. The rest depends on the story/budget/admin decisions. Saying soundwave is the most popular character...wow...

After he was cut in half. Once he restored to his original form, he could no longer shift into a phone. This is so obvious, i can't believe anyone could even use this as an arguement. You really must have not been paying attention to the movie.

Bay doesn't have to make a statement explaining himself to us. Everything he does to TF is awesome. :trans: :heart:

In geek circles I would agree with you. In the larger pop culture, I'm not so sure. If you're in college putting up a poster on your wall (at least before this movie) of Optimus Prime is DORK personified. Putting up a poster of Soundwave is COOL. Soundwave is the equivelant of Spock. He's been sampled countless times in Trance/Club songs, dancing vids, and he's easily the most "memorable" transformer-- if only because of his voice and his alt mode.
Ummmm, where do you live that Soundwave is cool. He isn't that cool. None of my friends know him, he is about as well known as Cheetor or Hot Shot. Series defining character to be sure, but hardly a pop culture fixture people claim him to be.

And uh, Spock isn't cool either, he's certainly well known, but not cool....talk about a nerd personified.

LARS: those other versions are sort of depressing. I can't see him with wings and I can't see him as that rinky-dink tank. Was that a Happy meal toy? It's just not him.
This is rink dinky:huh:
TFMW_Soundwave.jpg

Size shifting was in the original Transformers cartoon. Was that idiotic? Megatron's iconic look was a hand gun, not some tank and not some nerf-looking water cannon.
First off, yes the handgun was idiotic. He was simply a handgun because that figure was of comprable size to Optimus. You do realize that Transformers was about 5 or 6 japanese toylines that were shoved under an omnibus title right? You do realize it was debated for months who would be the Decepticon leader amongst the figures. In fact, as the first boxart indicates, Starscream was the intended leader before they decided to switch to the handgun former.

Size shifting was stupid. It was simply conceived in the line because frankly writers of the show needed a way to sell the robot toys that transformed into appliances and weapons. Microchange and Gunrobo were both bought up and distributed by Hasbro under Transformers, and for the show to reflect the toyline, that characters had to be marketed as such.

Much similar to why the show about robot cars eventually had to add Dinobots, Insecticons and various other robots inconsistent with the "robots in disguise" premise of the show.

As for Megatron's "true form" being a handgun. WRONG. He's been a handgun once (not counting classics). He's been a jet now at least six times. He's been a T-Rex of sorts twice, a dragon once, and a tank in multiple incarnations. Such is Transformers. Optimus, more often than not, is some sort of tractor trailer truck. However Megatron as of yet has not received a true form, although Cybertronian Jet seems to be catching on. Arguably, however, most Transformers argue tooth and nail for the Tank mode as it was very well received in G2 fiction and toys.

Ummmm, where do you live that Soundwave is cool. He isn't that cool. None of my friends know him, he is about as well known as Cheetor or Hot Shot. Series defining character to be sure, but hardly a pop culture fixture people claim him to be.

And uh, Spock isn't cool either, he's certainly well known, but not cool....talk about a nerd personified.
Soundwave tends to appeal to audiofiles and DJ's. Being somewhat music based.

As for his popularity. Stricktly amung G1 characters he's a solid three or four. The top 4 G1 characters being Prime, Megs, Soundwave, and Starscream. Mostly in that order, though if you get a tonne of SS fangirls he might take #3 spot.

Starscream is a hell of a lot more popular than soundwave.

Starscream is a hell of a lot more popular than soundwave.

I would agree with this!!!!And I think the proff is in the fact that Starscream is the only TF besides Optimus and Megs to have appeared in almost every spin-off of the Transformers toy line or show.

SHADOWBOXING, maybe this is an age thing (I was born in 76), because I didn't know all these factoids when I was watching the G1 show when I was a kid. I stopped following Transformers after the cartoon movie came out. So basically,When I used to watch Transformers as a kid, Megatron was a gun, and Soundwave was a tape player. I haven't read any of the comics, and I have tried to watch those painful other versions (beast wars, Transformers Energon) but it's not as special as the first 3-4 seasons of Transformers. And I remember when watching the cartoon, I remember looking foward to hopefully hearing a line of dialogue from Starscream and/or Soundwave. The thing I liked most about Soundwave was that he was like Storm Shadow or a samurai for me. It seemed like he was the most respected Decepticon, because I don't remember him getting directly humiliated by other Decepticons or the Autobots, as Megatron and Starscream were getting constantly humiliated. Did Soundwave ever get in a bickering match with his Decepticons buddies?

Did Soundwave ever get in a bickering match with his Decepticons buddies?

Yes it did happened to him once or twice....most notiilbly in the G1 Cartoon movie he was called a "Uncharismatic Bore" by Hook.
He was also ***** slaped by Galvatron in Carnege in C minor.

You got that wrong.It was Frenzy who was going to be Soundwave not Blackout.The writers renamed him after seeing what Bay wanted the charter to behave like.

sigh

Do research

Blackout = soundwave 2005
Reception was horrible

In the script, soundawave was the deck. And at that point, they changed it to Frenzy.

Where do you guys get your facts!?!?!

There is a reason Jazz was a solctice, Optimus a truck and the others what they turned into.

And its all been stated .... these aren't MY opinions.

All transformers picked their alts based upon what would 'fit' them. Why the hell would jazz turn into something so small then? why wouldn't the autobots try to be bigger in size. This was explained in the film.

And there is a consensus as well as an official story on soundwave

Sounwave was first a helicopter. the plan was scrapped. helicopter became vortex in the script and then eventually, blackout.

Soundwave then became a tape player and it was unanimously agreed within the team that it wouldn't be justice to the character. So it was changed to Frenzy.

And to those saying they chose horrible decepticons. Thats a good thing. Why would you want astrotrain, blitzwing, soundwave, shockwave, megatron and starscream in a film together. its obvious in a good vs bad fight, most bad guys will die. the producers did a smart thing by coming up with unimportant decepticons that we wouldn't care about in the first film.

Now that the stage is set, REAL decepticons can be brought.

Don't let fanboyism get in the way to proper film making. Most of us would have loved for a lot of stuff to happen but come down to it, the average user doesn't care about cheesy inappropriate fanboy stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"