Has Hollywood lost it?

I need to post a link to an article from Pauline Kael dated June 23, 1980 entitled "Why Are Movies So Bad? Or, the Numbers". See this link.

One paragraph

In movies, the balance between art and business has always been precarious, with business outweighing art, but the business was, at least, in the hands of businessmen who loved movies. As popular entertainment, movies need something of what the vulgarian moguls had—zest, a belief in their own instincts, a sentimental dedication to producing pictures that would make their country proud of their contribution, a respect for quality, and the biggest thing: a willingness to take chances. The cool managerial sharks don’t have that; neither do the academics. But the vulgarians also did more than their share of damage, and they’re gone forever anyway. They were part of a different America. They were, more often than not, men who paid only lip service to high ideals, while gouging everyone for profits. The big change in the country is reflected in the fact that people in the movie business no longer feel it necessary to talk about principles at all. They operate on the same assumptions as the newspapers that make heroes of the executives who have a hit and don’t raise questions about its quality.

This is an article from 1980, which is more proof that Hollywood has always been the same.

People have different interests in what to see at the movies, but the point is that Hollywood always looks to make money on whatever they can.

so i dont know if this belongs in this thread or not. TinTin made 75 millions domestic and 295 foreign.

isnt this in a way proof that studios are right? that boardgames,sequels,prequels and remakes to known properties will make more money? because teh US public knows them?

TinTin was a 100% Spielberg movie. it was 100% fun. yet it didnt make a lot money in US.

edit

Last edited:
edit

Last edited:
edit

Last edited:
edit

Last edited:
edit

Last edited:
edit

Last edited:
One thing I admire about Bay is that while his movies may not always be good, he's goes down swinging everytime by making his films events, with high production values and explosions. That's one of the few things I like about Bay. That and this commercial.

[YT]lXRCf9LbLM0[/YT]

I'll definitely give him that (even though I dislike his recent list of work/movies). It's not like he's purposely trying to make a horrendous film. Bay, more than likely, loves what he does for a living and can't wait to blow s**t up and astound us with fantastic visuals. Michael is still enthusiastic about his work, and that's a great thing to have while being a film-maker for so long.

And that commercial was f**king AWESOME! :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"