Has Marvel had anything similar to Crisis?

Bruce Malone

Superhero
Reaction score
I'm more of a DC fan so i was wondering has marvel ever gone through something similar to the crisis on infinite earths event that dc did in the mid 80's? Where there was alot of retcons to bring toghether the universe from its varied silver age continuity?

Not universe-wide, no, but several lines did get something close to that treatment. Most notably Spider-Man.

Yeah, the closest things to it that I can think of are the ending of the first Sentry mini, Heroes Reborn, and One More Day.

But, on the other hand, Marvel never really had various different versions of characters running around simultaneously and being arguably as prominent as each other. Marvel's got the main universe dating back to the earliest superhero comics they published and then everything else, which doesn't really count.

Definitely OMD/BND. You could even make a case for the Clone Saga and Revelations (which shut the door on the clone stuff). Spidey has been one giant CRISIS since the mid 90's, with stability being few and far in between.

Yeah, but until OMD, they never really overwrote any of Spider-Man's earlier continuity in a major way. There was the odd retcon here and there, but every character has that--plus, they were usually explained in a way that made at least some kind of pseudo-comic-sense within the ongoing continuity.

I can see one coming soon where the 616 meets the Ultimates in some kind of universe altering event basically retconning everything.

I can see one coming soon where the 616 meets the Ultimates in some kind of universe altering event basically retconning everything.

Oh god I hope not....

The only interaction between 616 and the Ultimate universe is if the Sentry flies out there and rips everyone in half only to return to the 616 and fade into obscurity.:dry:

I'm not prone to make sweeping, "I will never read Marvel comics again!" statements, but that would easily be enough to make me drop any of Marvel's comics it affects (which, the way you phrased it, would probably be almost all of them) for the foreseeable future.

Well you guys can see that Marvel has a problem aging it's characters and sooner or later.................there's going to HAVE to be something to that degree in order to keep 616 that way. Also in Ultimate Power we saw some glimpses of it when 616 Squadron Supreme was speaking to Ultimate Cap and he no clue what he was talking about. Meaning the universes do exist but on different lines and sooner or later they will meet up. It's only a matter of time. Besides, Marvel and DC love these big events and as much as I love Marvel, even I have to admit that Marvel "borrows" ideas from DC and the Crisis's is the only thing that they haven't done yet.

That's ridiculous. They haven't done anything to deal with this supposed "problem" for the past 40 years; I doubt they'll suddenly decide that a company-wide reboot is necessary. :huh:

I'm not disputing that the two universes exist as alternate realities relative to each other, mind you. Everything in every Marvel comic exists as some kind of alternate reality within the omniverse, as Captain Britain and the What Ifs have shown. I wouldn't mind a crossover between the two universes, though, so long as they don't use it as an excuse to merge them. I wouldn't read it, but I wouldn't really care if Marvel decided to do one.

Marvel ignores the fact that their character are aging with the exception of PunisherMax and Cap (age is an important quality for him). Quesada has made it his mission in life to make Peter Parker younger.

Punishermax is an alternate reality as well, so it doesn't really matter. The 616 Punisher is dead and running around as Frankencastle at the moment, but I'm sure he'll be back to his usual, 30-something self in no time.

That's ridiculous. They haven't done anything to deal with this supposed "problem" for the past 40 years; I doubt they'll suddenly decide that a company-wide reboot is necessary. :huh:

I'm not disputing that the two universes exist as alternate realities relative to each other, mind you. Everything in every Marvel comic exists as some kind of alternate reality within the omniverse, as Captain Britain and the What Ifs have shown. I wouldn't mind a crossover between the two universes, though, so long as they don't use it as an excuse to merge them. I wouldn't read it, but I wouldn't really care if Marvel decided to do one.

4 years from now when this event happens, I will remind you of this post because I'm giving it 4 years max before it happens. Do I like the idea? Not really but it's one of the few events that Marvel hasn't tried. Plus it's a way to get the "good" versions of characters from different times and universes in one era.

Punishermax is an alternate reality as well, so it doesn't really matter. The 616 Punisher is dead and running around as Frankencastle at the moment, but I'm sure he'll be back to his usual, 30-something self in no time.

No, Corp, don't say that. It's true, but let's not speak of that unfortunate future :(

runawayboulder said:
Marvel ignores the fact that their character are aging with the exception of PunisherMax and Cap (age is an important quality for him). Quesada has made it his mission in life to make Peter Parker younger

Instead he made him lamer.

Wasn't the Punisher in Vietnam? :huh: So there's no way he can be in his 30's. 50's at the youngest! :o

4 years from now when this event happens, I will remind you of this post because I'm giving it 4 years max before it happens. Do I like the idea? Not really but it's one of the few events that Marvel hasn't tried. Plus it's a way to get the "good" versions of characters from different times and universes in one era.

What are you channeling Souless over here?

I wouldn't say "in no time". They're running with the Frankencastle story for a while it seems. They're even changing the name of the book to Frankencastle. It's been enjoyable for me, I'm sticking with it until the Punisher/Daken rematch. After that, the concept may be stale by then and it'll be time to go back to human Frank. Remender has claimed that he's working on year 2 worth of Frankencastle plots.

Well, if they ever do that, I will be done with the majority of Marvel's comics. I ditched Spider-Man's comics because of a major rewriting of his continuity, and I'd do it to any other character in a heartbeat.

Wasn't the Punisher in Vietnam? :huh: So there's no way he can be in his 30's. 50's at the youngest! :o

And that's the concept Garth Ennis used since PunisherMax #1 and every writer since has used it.

I don't understand why you seem so dead set that Marvel will do a full on reboot based on the age issue. That's not why DC decided to do COIE or anything. That's causes nothing but continuous continuity flubs anyway. Marvel will just do the small and large rectons here and there like they always have

What are you channeling Souless over here?

:hehe:

I wouldn't say "in no time". They're running with the Frankencastle story for a while it seems. They're even changing the name of the book to Frankencastle. It's been enjoyable for me, I'm sticking with it until the Punisher/Daken rematch. After that, the concept may be stale by then and it'll be time to go back to human Frank. Remender has claimed that he's working on year 2 worth of Frankencastle plots.

**** going back to human Castle. That'd be just as stale. Good to see Remender plans to run with it, at least for that long.

He was, until they retconned it to be "some war in Asia" to preserve continuity. Just like Reed Richards and Ben Grimm fought in WWII until, after a couple decades, they didn't anymore. Or how Tony Stark helped start SHIELD up in the '60s until that was retconned too. Small retcons happen to make some sense of Marvel's timeline all the time. It's a much better alternative to the company-wide reboot, which is just stupid.
And that's the concept Garth Ennis used since PunisherMax #1 and every writer since has used it.
Which is exactly why Punishermax is an alternate universe, as I said. Back in the 616 universe, the Punisher is some dude who fought in a vague war a vague time ago and got seriously screwed up when his family died a vague--but shorter--time ago.

**** going back to human Castle. That'd be just as stale. Good to see Remender plans to runn with it, at least for that long.

:up: If it keeps working, I'm there.

I never thought in a million years I'd see Castle riding on a fire breathing dragon storming a castle in Germany, but MAN was that s**t cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"