• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Has spider man 2 became underrated?

Nope.

Still respected as one of the GREATEST CBM's of the modern era.

Why?

Because it pioneered every single good thing about cbm's in the years to come. It completely embodied what a GOOD cbm was. it completely embodied the tragic villian, the fracutered hero, the patriotism. SM2 did so much right.

It's gotten to the point where, contextually, it isn't just a cbm, it is cbm's

I endorse this post. Brilliantly put. :up:

I think the problem is that people pay attention to other marvel movies like the avengers, captain America, iron man and guardians of the galaxy.

I suppose as newer popular CBMs have come along some of SM2s thunder has been stolen so to speak.

It's heavily underrated.

Still remains my favorite superhero movie of all time.

My top Marvel superhero movie to be sure

Depends on your point of view.

From what I've seen on various movie sites and fourms the current generation of movies MS has given us with bigger worlds and inter-connected stories has really clouded the 2000's that started with Raimi and Singer. However you could argue that the reason they had more appreciation back in the day was because the market was much, much less saturated than what it's about to become and the fact that the bar back then was rediculously low thanks to the craptacular that was Batman & Robin.

As for me well I hoover around the film being Ok or Good (6.5). It's a step down from Raimi's first but there is apects like the villain, action, CGI and Score which are not only superior to the original but still is better than many CBM's today (except CGI obviously).

It's still overated IMO even if The Dark Knight and some Marvel Studios films have put it in attic of audiences minds... Though in 10 years time the same could happen to say The Avengers as crossovers aren't special anymore.

It's still in my Top Five as far as CBMs go. For me, it improved greatly on the first one and it was such a joyous experience when I first saw it (sold-out showing on Labor Day 2004). Still is.

I understand some people don't like or care for SM-2, that's fine. Agree to disagree.

As more superhero movies come out Spider-Man 2 will get lower in a lot of people lists Spider-Man 2 was my favourite superhero movie but over time I seen movies like The Dark Knight and The Avengers in 10 years from now the avengers won't be rank as high as it is now

No. It's still overrated as all hell.

that's an understatement.

the spiderman movies are not near as good as Thor,Captain America,or Ironman.The only spiderman movie that was even good was amazing spiderman 1.Second one was just as terrible as the Raimi films though.

As more superhero movies come out Spider-Man 2 will get lower in a lot of people lists Spider-Man 2 was my favourite superhero movie but over time I seen movies like The Dark Knight and The Avengers in 10 years from now the avengers won't be rank as high as it is now

Except I always put the first two superman movies and Conan The Barbarian head and shoulders above SM 2 from day one.:woot:

I just rewatched it (and saw 2.1 for the first time), and it might just be my favorite superhero movie. I'm slightly biased, because Spider-Man is my favorite hero, and there's a lot of nostalgic feelings involved. Avengers and The Dark Knight are both awesome, but watching SM2 just fills me with joy that I don't really get from the other two. The other two might have things speaking in their favor, but SM2 just hits a chord for me. It's really an emotional journey.

I have to narrow my Top 5 list down to 3. I hate to number them, but Spider-Man 2, Batman Begins and The Avengers are on equal footing with me. There's scenes in all three that have me giddy and you know Raimi, Nolan, and Whedon are having fun with it. They're pure escapism.

Now... I have to give SM-2 the edge for its emotional directness. There's a magical catharsis in the final scenes that the other two can't quite hit.

I feel like after Spider-Man 3, in addition to the franchise being rebooted, the first two Raimi films have become somewhat underrated and under-appreciated. It's almost as if they have been forgotten. Anytime I mention SM2 as one of my favorite CBMs, people tell me I'm crazy or say that I'm "wrong on so many levels."

So has spider man 2 became underrated? I ask this because it semeds like a lot of people don't even have this has a top 5 CBM ever any more witch I think is just crazy. This movie is hands down a top 5 CBM of all time and arguably the best CBM ever! The movie has a great story one of the best villains in a CBM and the train fight is still the best action scence in any CBM. I think this movie is now underrated by a lot of people.

I will say this, it holds up as steady as a freight train....those are steady, right?

Seriously though, I just watched it for the first time in 3 or 4 years, and the first time since it past the 10-year-old mark. It is really good. The nitpicks and pet peeves (Spidey isn't cocky enough, MJ should be more exciting and extroverted) kind of fade away upon rewatch. Meanwhile what is left is an incredibly satisfying and even epic story about a guy coming to accept his own foibles.

I think it is underrated a bit in the sense that the MCU is being praised a mile high by the fans, and this is usually overlooked in conversations about the best in the genre when it is such a richer story than any non-The Winter Soldier MCU narrative ever attempted.

But I think in another 10 years, this movie will be much more rewatchable and remembered than most of the MCU with some notable exceptions. It is special.

Last edited:
No, it has become overrated.

I never understood all the heap of praise that Spider-Man 2 got. I always thought it was the weakest of the whole trilogy. Didn't like the whole "Spider-Man No More" storyline and didn't like how they made Doc Ock become a villian because the tentacles control his mind. I also think that the Peter and Mary Jane romance was its worst in this film. Tobey Maguire's acting also came off very wooden in this sequel. A lot of the humor was corney and lame as well. I'll take Peter dancing in the Jazz Club over the raindrops over my head sequence any day of the week. I'll admit that the Spider-Man vs. Doc Ock action sequence on the train is great, but that is not enough of a reason to love a movie.

It also made the least money at the box office out of the trilogy so clearly I can't be the only one who thought it was the weakest of the three.

The film seems to have lost some of its popularity and acclaim mostly because more people are now into superhero films that are either darker or about teams and maybe also have more action.

Preferences vary but (aside from that I generally prefer solo heroes to teams) I thought the film's action and effects are still some of the best there's been, in more recent films there may be more but not as good.

I wouldn't say it's become underrated as you can still find it on plenty of Top 10 Comic Book Movies lists. But I do think, given how far comic book movies have come since it came out, it's become easier to take for granted when you compare it alongside The Dark Knight or Logan, for example.

However, in re-watching the film, I still think it holds up very well not only as a great comic book movie, it's a great film in it's own right, and one I would consider Sam Raimi's masterpiece as a filmmaker.

Stillanerd's Retrospective: Spider-Man 2 (2004) review

I think it's definitely become under rated on here. But personally speaking it is still one of my top 5 CBMs of all time.

It's still my favorite.

I don't necessarily think its underrated though, perhaps under appreciated. I think a lot of it has to do with how old the person is you ask. A lot of people have now grown up with the MCU. I mean, there is still a number of people that will forever say Superman or Superman 2 is the greatest superhero movie, or at least their favorite, while others will only latch onto what is brand new.

It's like James Bond. Whatever actor played him when you learned who James Bond was, that's more or less your James Bond.

People who earnestly prefer the Amazing Spider-Man films to this I don't understand at all, however, but to each their own I guess.

It's still my favorite.

I don't necessarily think its underrated though, perhaps under appreciated. I think a lot of it has to do with how old the person is you ask. A lot of people have now grown up with the MCU. I mean, there is still a number of people that will forever say Superman or Superman 2 is the greatest superhero movie, or at least their favorite, while others will only latch onto what is brand new.

It's like James Bond. Whatever actor played him when you learned who James Bond was, that's more or less your James Bond.

People who earnestly prefer the Amazing Spider-Man films to this I don't understand at all, however, but to each their own I guess.

The way I feel right now
giphy.gif

Last edited:
The way I feel right now
giphy.gif

Haha, Tell me about it. Someone I follow on Twitter was writing about Guardians of the Galaxy 2 and said that Chris Pratt was pretty much unknown prior to "The Lego Movie"!

Also, overheard someone who isn't that much younger than me refer to Russel Crowe as Superman's dad.

Only gonna get worse I suppose.

I think it's because for most movies there's a "recency" bias. I don't see SM2 talked much, but when it is, it's among the best superhero movies.

Personally-I think it's the greatest superhero movie (the whole movie is focused on the development on the main characters), though I will say The Dark Knight is the tightest written superhero movie and easily has the best villain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"