HBO's Rome

DACrowe

Avenger
Reaction score
Anybody here remember this one? I just recently saw this on DVD for the first time since the seasons originally aired (in 2005 and 2007, respectively).

While they're slightly more flawed and melodramatic than I recalled, they are still without question GREAT. I feel like this was a masterful show that for its few problems created a grand epic with one of the best casts I've ever seen. I just feel like it may have been a few years too early. It was the forerunner of shows like The Tudors, The Borgias, Spartacus, and even Game of Thrones (which despite being fantasy feels like its closest premium cable cousin). If this show had come out a few years later, I doubt it would have been canceled. They were able to just squeeze everything into two seasons before the final curtain, but as entertaining as the second season is--with 2 or 3 amazing plot developments every episode--you could tell there were about 2 seasons worth of story crammed into one with little breathing room. This is especially apparent when we skip the entire beginning of Antony and Cleopatra's relationship near the end of the show and telescope to their budding war with Octavian.

All that said, the levels of quality and craftsmanship make this still a fine production. They, more convincingly than any Hollywood movie to date, recreate ancient Rome as a thriving city with a fascinating class system that is completely fleshed out as a culture far removed from our own. The acting and writing breathed life and humanity into historic figures who had become as banal as marble statues in popular culture with Julius Caesar, Mark Antony and Octavian Caesar/Augustus. I do think they went too over-the-top with Cleopatra, but it was still a welcome reprieve from the unbelievable Elizabeth Taylor iconography.

Most of all, the show thrives on the wonderful story of the two Forest Gump-like Roman soldiers who are caught up in the whirlwind of nearly every major historical event. Lucius Vorenus (Kevin McKidd) and Titus Pullo (Ray Stevenson) may be the best bromance in television history. Their ups-and-downs with the families they try to start and the rise and fall in stature they both experience makes this show feel human and more lasting than if it had been solely palace intrigue.

Anyway, 5-7 years later, the episodes still hold up despite some more notable excess. If you haven't seen it and enjoy Spartacus or Game of Thrones, give this show a watch.

I've got this on blu-ray. One of my favorites. There used to be a thread for this series.

does it look good on blu-ray? are there commentaries on the episodes?

does it look good on blu-ray? are there commentaries on the episodes?

I have it on dvd and blu-ray and the blu-ray is an improvement. And yes there are commentaries on the episodes.

I got it on DVD and it looks pretty damn impressive. Shot on 35 mm cameras on a 5 acre set recreated into ancient Rome (and parts of ancient Alexandria) is movie-quality. I imagine it looks even more impressive on Bluray.

The special features and making-ofs are great. The commentaries are better when it's not Bruno Heller and Jonathan Stamp (they tend to be a bit dry), but the real treat is revisiting this great drama.

Who's your favorite character? Mines Mark Antony.

one of my favorite series of all time. I remeber being annoyed at first with Vorenus and Pulio cause as a Roman history buff I wanted to see the real people, but they quickly became my favoirtes next to Mark Anthony who ruled the second season. Just a great serious with some epic and well played story arcs.

one of my favorite series of all time. I remeber being annoyed at first with Vorenus and Pulio cause as a Roman history buff I wanted to see the real people, but they quickly became my favoirtes next to Mark Anthony who ruled the second season. Just a great serious with some epic and well played story arcs.

Vorenus and Pullo were both real men who served in Caesar's legion. In fact, they were the only two men in his legion who he mentioned by name in his book about his campaign in Gaul. Pullo saved Vorenus during a battle and he admired their bravery. It was a very brief mention and nothing is known about them but their was a Vorenus and Pullo who served under him.

I thought it was cool the writers took them and gave them a story.

Who's your favorite character? Mines Mark Antony.

My favorite characters in the whole series are Pullo and Vorenus. They are the anchor for all the crazy crap going on with all the civil wars. I kind of lean towards Pullo because he is both a monster and a very sympathetic and gentle character, especially with his wife. He walks that line well.

Of the historical characters? I was most entertained and sympathized most with Mark Antony. Here is a guy who through his own personality raises himself high and self-destructs in such a human way. Plus he was just extremely hilarious: "I'll become governor of some province and sow my crops and **** my slaves. You boys play too rough for me."

The thing about Antony is that I think he'd been a bad ruler or king. It becomes obvious as he descends into debauchery when he goes to Egypt that Caesar left Octavian his title because despite Octavian's coldness and ambitious cruelty, he would make an effective dictator (or "First Citizen" as it became). Still, I rooted for Antony even though he was doomed. Then again, Octavian left his empire to Tiberius and then Caligula--they made Antony look like a philosopher--Anyway, I also was able to root for Caesar, Pompey, Brutus and Octavian at different points throughout the show. That's what made it so good.

Caesar's assassination in this series was brutal. Usually these things are dramatized to death but this was just rough. The way Caesar is laying on the floor trying to pull his toga up over his face almost like he's trying to protect himself even though he's dying and the look in his eyes. Pure fear and confusion. It made me feel uncomfortable after watching it.

Vorenus and Pullo were both real men who served in Caesar's legion. In fact, they were the only two men in his legion who he mentioned by name in his book about his campaign in Gaul. Pullo saved Vorenus during a battle and he admired their bravery. It was a very brief mention and nothing is known about them but their was a Vorenus and Pullo who served under him.

I thought it was cool the writers took them and gave them a story.

I knew about that, I just meant there story arcs and characters where mostly all fiction.

It's a shame the show was cancelled as the following seasons seemed promising:
I discovered halfway through writing the second season the show was going to end. The second was going to end with the death of Brutus. Third and fourth season would be set in Egypt. Fifth was going to be the rise of the messiah in Palestine. But because we got the heads-up that the second season would be it, I telescoped the third and fourth season into the second one, which accounts for the blazing speed we go through history near the end. There's certainly more than enough history to go around

The appearance of Jesus would have been interesting to see.

This is my favorite show of all time, and Purefoy owns the screen. Pure magic.

It's a shame the show was cancelled as the following seasons seemed promising:

The appearance of Jesus would have been interesting to see.

I wasn't cancelled, it was compressed.

I thought it was canceled after the fire incident at Cinecitta.

I'm pretty sure (99%) that it was canned due to the budget. It was just too expensive to produce each episode.

I'm pretty sure (99%) that it was canned due to the budget. It was just too expensive to produce each episode.
Bingo!!!!

If you read what was planned what we saw in season 2 was suppose to take place in season 3. Season 4 was the rise of Christ. They had an epic plan for that show that would last 5 seasons and beyond. It's to bad we never got to see it.

I still miss Titus Pullo. Probably in my top 5 TV characters ever. This show was awesome.

And Cleopatra was awesome too. I was very jealous of that asp.

Season 2 was very rushed, but still awesome.

Titus definitely stole the show.

I started rewarching it. And I'm still super mad it got cancelled.

I mean, Deadwood, Sopranos, Sex and The City, GoT, SFU, True Blood were all brought back is some capacity (or are in development). And I get the show is super expensive, which is why was cancelled, but it makes me wonder if after the success of GOT, the show wouldn't already have an audience ready for it.

Anyway, I would just love to see more shows set in ancient Rome or ancient Greece with the quality this show had.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"