High School Teacher Disciplined for Telling Students About The Fifth Amendment

Hobgoblin

Veritas veritatum
Reaction score
http://www.kcchronicle.com/2013/05/...l-teacher-faces-disciplinary-hearing/adl3d6y/

So basically, a teacher was told to hand out a survey to his class asking them about any drug or alcohol usage that they partake in. The students individual names were marked on the envelopes. The teacher told them about their right to not participate in the survey, to avoid self incrimination. He is now facing disciplinary measures from the school board.

Stupid, harmless, the school system is still broken. What consequence or consequences was he handed?

Up next on the six o'clock news, a teacher faces discipline after telling students that George Washington was the first US President.

http://www.kcchronicle.com/2013/05/...l-teacher-faces-disciplinary-hearing/adl3d6y/

So basically, a teacher was told to hand out a survey to his class asking them about any drug or alcohol usage that they partake in. The students individual names were marked on the envelopes. The teacher told them about their right to not participate in the survey, to avoid self incrimination. He is now facing disciplinary measures from the school board.

lol....the school districts like the Catholic church, void of any Governmental Powers...they are run by the school board and thats the final ruling!

School is not the place to learn about Amendments!

Being minors, their privacy rights lie with their guardians and/or parents. The school as far as I know does not have the right to survey the kids without parental or guardian permission first. Entrapment is one thing, but entrapment of a minor is a big no no.

If I was a parent and my kid was questioned without getting my permission beforehand I would tear someone a new *******.

What's wrong with teachers these days? If you don't start subjugating the children to mindlessly obey at an early age then it's ever so much harder later on to do so.

Being minors, their privacy rights lie with their guardians and/or parents. The school as far as I know does not have the right to survey the kids without parental or guardian permission first. Entrapment is one thing, but entrapment of a minor is a big no no.

If I was a parent and my kid was questioned without getting my permission beforehand I would tear someone a new *******.

Not that I agree with what they're doing but, wrong. In loco parentis.

But then again, it really doesn't apply since obvious civil liberties are being trampled here. [/lawyer hat]

Last edited:
Not really a surprise. The truth is that many people in power don't want other people to be aware of the rights they have because the more people are aware of the rights they have, the harder it is to control them and to take advantage of them.

I carry a copy if the Bill of Rights in my wallet. It is a small metal card, with the 4th and 5th amendments highlighted and in red. I give it to law enforcement anytime they attempt to ask me ANYTHING. I use it at illegal "sobriety check points" and any other random cop-stops. I have rights, and it was the Supreme Court who ruled that merely invoking one's rights is NOT probable cause to continue an illegal search or line of questioning.

I carry a copy if the Bill of Rights in my wallet. It is a small metal card, with the 4th and 5th amendments highlighted and in red. I give it to law enforcement anytime they attempt to ask me ANYTHING. I use it at illegal "sobriety check points" and any other random cop-stops. I have rights, and it was the Supreme Court who ruled that merely invoking one's rights is NOT probable cause to continue an illegal search or line of questioning.

So what happens after they tase you and lock you up?:o:oldrazz:

Not that I agree with what they're doing but, wrong. In loco parentis.

But then again, it really doesn't apply since obvious civil liberties are being trampled here. [/lawyer hat]
What they are doing falls outside of In Loco Parentis.

What they are doing falls outside of In Loco Parentis.

Oh I agree, but the first part of your post is incorrect.

Actually, a similar thing happened to me in high school. We had these random searches where cops would show up to your classroom and search your bags and wand you. My friends and I, being the smart ass high schoolers we were asked how this was legal. They said because of in loco parentis. I didn't buy it then, don't buy it now. I told my dad about it and he went to the school next day and asked for an explanation. They told him the same thing and he said if they searched my **** again without him present there would be hell to pay. In closing, my dad was awesome.:o

Yeah, I've never seen surveys like this in a high school setting that went into envelopes marked with the students names. At least some attempt is usually made to make them anonymous. I would cry foul on this as well.

As a result of his actions, Dryden, who has taught at the high school for 20 years, said he was docked a day's pay.
This is highly illegal. You cannot dock someone's pay, especially a salaried worker, which teachers almost always are. You can suspend them for a future day or something, but you cannot retroactively dock someone's pay for any reason, even damaging equipment or whatever. Workers rights, and teachers need to have the same rights.

If you’re a salaried worker and make no overtime, your salary cannot be reduced based on the quantity or the quality of your work, says Beth Anne Wolfson, adjunct assistant professor at Bentley College in Waltham, Mass.
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19226911/...tch-your-step-pay-docking-ahead/#.UaVxcdgQPB8

They can fire the man or refuse to renew his contract but they CANNOT dock his pay for a past day unless he was actually absent from work.

Last edited:
This disgusts me! When will these people learn the school system is not a place to learn!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"