Higher Learning

Discussion in 'Misc. Films' started by Warhammer, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Warhammer

Warhammer Half Monk, Half Hitman

I am a fan of films dealing with racial issues, as well as John Singleton films, so I loved this film. Has anybody seen this movie?

[​IMG]

2. TNC9852002

TNC9852002 Banned User

Oh definitely, I had this movie on DVD for quite a while. Definitely a solid effort by Singleton and is a movie that everyone really needs to watch at least once.

Ooh! Moon Knight! :p

-TNC

3. terry78

terry78 We'll be right back

Every black person is required by law to see Higher Learning and School Daze at least once. And all the way through, not just a snippet here and there. Doesn't matter if you grew up in the ghetto or the most upper class area...gotta watch them before you die.

4. TNC9852002

TNC9852002 Banned User

lol. Terry, do you really think it matters what the person's skin color is? I mean, why can't every person in general be required to see these movies?

That's the way I wish it was... :(

-TNC

5. terry78

terry78 We'll be right back

^Yeah, I know. Some people don't want to see them because they're "preachy black movies", but like you said, everyone should give them a look.

6. Cinemaman

Cinemaman Registered

I didn't like it, I thought it was just a copy of Boyz N The Hood, which was a great film, probably one of the best film about racial issues.

7. Orko Is King

Orko Is King Registered

I had to watch it in my adolescents and the media class.

8. TNC9852002

TNC9852002 Banned User

WTF?

When I think of Higher Learning, Boyz N the Hood is like, not even close in my mindset...They're made by the same guy, so there'll be some similarities, but the story is completely different (don't be confused that the genre is the same)..

-TNC

9. Cinemaman

Cinemaman Registered

Themes are the same. It's about hard Afro-American people's life in the society, where they have the worst part. Yeah, here Signleton didn't pay so much attention to issues of people of other races, BUT this movie still has that influence on the story. It's not about the problem of one character, it's about problems of the whole race.

10. TNC9852002

TNC9852002 Banned User

The themes are similar, but I wouldn't go and call it a copy of Boyz.

-TNC

11. Cinemaman

Cinemaman Registered

It looked like a "sequel" to Boys N The Hood, but it wasn't as good as BNTH was.

12. The Shredder

The Shredder Sharp Dressed Man

Initially, the hook for me watching this was Jennifer Connelly. But after viewing the film, I have to say I liked it. And even more after subsequent viewings. I agree that the film is not as good as BNTH, but a very solid effort nevertheless.

13. Donnie Darko

Donnie Darko Forgotten Pre-New 52 Hero

I love this movie. However, I really don't like it being called just a black movie or just showing the hardships of black people in society. IMO, it showed the good and bad of all people when it comes to race. I may get flamed on here for saying all this, but with the exception of Cole Hauser's character, of course, I thought the majority of the black people in the film came off as bad as the majority of the white people. I saw it as being about race issues as a whole, and about finding one's identity in a new place and in society in general, not just about the plight of the black man.

14. tzarinna

tzarinna Mamochka

I'll have to watch it again, I just remember felling like my intelligence was being insulted...wait that might've been the white chick I saw it with trying to act all superior and ****. :cmad: