Highlander Remake

A few thoughts:

The Kurgan

I would drop the "The" from his name and just call him "Kurgan". Make it his name, not his title. Also give him a background that's more grounded in history. Like maybe he was one of the 300 Spartans who died at the battle of Thermopalae. Or maybe he was one of the million Persians who were invading Sparta. Maybe he was Atilla The Hun's second in command. Or a Roman Gladiator. Something historically accurate without creating a Barbarian clan out of whole cloth.

Connor MacLeod

Have Connor's first death happen at an actual historical battle. Like the Battle of Sterling, the Battle of Falkirk, the Scottish sacking of York, or the battle when King Robert The Bruce led Scotland to freedom (in other words all of the major battles depicted in Braveheart). Maybe Edward The Longshanks hired Kurgan as a mercenary to help in defeating the Scots. And that was how they first met.

Ramirez

I wouldn't change too much about Ramirez, except for casting an actual Spaniard in the role (again, my vote goes to Antonio Banderas). I liked how in the original Ramirez had a katana that was crafted for him by his father-in-law, hundreds of years before the samurai ever existed.

^ I'd make "Kurgan" a Visgoth.

The Banderas fan casting is so spot-on that to ignore it is a huge missed opportunity. He's a Spaniard that looks like he's of Moorish descent. You can't get more "Ramirez" than that.

I'd also like a lot more swordsmen of different cultures and time periods. That's the real strength of The Higlander property. You can mash-up all of the best warriors from all these different places and periods. I'd throw in the "Ronin" from Edo Japan and the "Saracen" from medieval Arabia. Throw in a "Templar" too and make him and the Saracen friendly rivals just for kicks.

HDTGM podcast recently did an ep about the sequel.

I gotta check out both films now.

A few thoughts:

The Kurgan

I would drop the "The" from his name and just call him "Kurgan". Make it his name, not his title. Also give him a background that's more grounded in history. Like maybe he was one of the 300 Spartans who died at the battle of Thermopalae. Or maybe he was one of the million Persians who were invading Sparta. Maybe he was Atilla The Hun's second in command. Or a Roman Gladiator. Something historically accurate without creating a Barbarian clan out of whole cloth.

Connor MacLeod

Have Connor's first death happen at an actual historical battle. Like the Battle of Sterling, the Battle of Falkirk, the Scottish sacking of York, or the battle when King Robert The Bruce led Scotland to freedom (in other words all of the major battles depicted in Braveheart). Maybe Edward The Longshanks hired Kurgan as a mercenary to help in defeating the Scots. And that was how they first met.

Ramirez

I wouldn't change too much about Ramirez, except for casting an actual Spaniard in the role (again, my vote goes to Antonio Banderas). I liked how in the original Ramirez had a katana that was crafted for him by his father-in-law, hundreds of years before the samurai ever existed.

That actually never happened. The Scots did raid Northern England, but they didn't sack York.

That's what I said. In the original movie and in the TV series even the immortals themselves didn't know where they came from, why they can't fight on Holy ground, or why they have to fight each other to the death. The mystery is a part of the show's appeal.

And the whole "immortals are aliens from another world" thing in Part 2 just sucked.

I think it's one of those cases where it's better if the audience comes up with their own interpretation of what they are and the actual truth would never be as satisfying as the mystery itself.

Just for example, it's not really important that we know exactly who and what they are in the first movie. All we know is that they are these immortal beings who are fighting in a winner takes all tournament. The very last one gets the prize, which even itself is a little vague. The prize seems to be all the accumulation of all the quickenings and basically all the vast knowledge of the world that everyone else has gained. But then it also implies that Conor can now have children again and grow old and die. Perhaps the prize is gaining some level of mortality again. The curse of living forever is that your loved ones around you grow old and die. While you wander the earth alone.

Another change I'd make is eliminating the scene where Kurgan pieces his sword together in his hotel room. While kinda cool visually, logically it makes little sense. A sword that comes apart and pieces back together like that would never hold up in battle. And if you're in a sword fight where the loser loses his head, if your sword breaks in mid-battle you're dead. Better for him to carry it in a case that will hold a large sword (a guitar or cello case for example).

HDTGM podcast recently did an ep about the sequel.

I gotta check out both films now.

The first is great. Low budget but that's part of the charm and the world building and mythology and the sheer faith in the material and spirit of filmmaking makes up for it all. Sean Connery is a Spaniard. Queen does the soundtrack. Clancy Brown is the villain. Insanity but it all ****ing rocks.

That actually never happened. The Scots did raid Northern England, but they didn't sack York.

That could be an interesting way o introducing the audience to MacLeod. Instead of attending a wrestling match at Madison Square Garden, he's attending a showing of Braveheart. Then when he leaves the theatre to confront the other immortal he makes some kind of remark as to how historically innaccurate it was.

"So what do you think of the movie?"

"A good try, but they got a lot wrong."

"You would know."

"Of course. I was there."

They should also establish some reason that MacLeod and the other immortal were fighting, aside from "There can be only one".

Maybe they were on opposite sides of The American Revolution, or The American Civil War, and the other immortal committed some kind of attrocity during the war (raping and murdering innocent women and children or something).

Maybe as a nod to the original film, the immortal MacLeod kills can be played by Christopher Lambert, or at least Adrian Paul. In fact, that could be an interesting way to introduce many of the new versions of the original characters.

Clancy Brown exits a church wearing a priest uniform. As he's walking down the street he feels the presence of an immortal. He turns out corner to find Kurgan (played by Conan Stevens) waiting for him.

"Where's the Highlander?"

"What makes you think I know?"

"You two have been friends for centuries. Of course you've been keeping in touch."

"Even if I have, why would I tell you?"

(Drawing his sword) "If you tell me I promise to make your death quick."

(Drawing his own sword) "A beautiful death is its own reward."

Then they fight. Conan takes Clancy's head and his character's power. Then he checks Clancy Brown's phone and discovers MacLeod's phone number, if not his address (New York area code).

Or something like that.

I'm not even sure that I would put The Kurgan in it. I see him as the big villain of this franchise...so maybe mention him...but the battle with him should be in the final film of the franchise.

Also...isn't Ramirez Egyptian??? Not that this franchise cares much about casting the right fit for the roles.

I'd set the first movie ENTIRELY in the past...I guess you pretty much have to start it in Scotland...so maybe have it during the crusades. They could have a Catholic bishop who died and came back...so a cult has formed around him that is tearing through the region. They kill MacLeod's clan and he comes back. Maybe Ramirez shows up to give the story exposition because he was looking for The Kurgan. The point is that I think it'd be cool to have each movie take place during a different era.

I'm not even sure that I would put The Kurgan in it. I see him as the big villain of this franchise...so maybe mention him...but the battle with him should be in the final film of the franchise.

Also...isn't Ramirez Egyptian??? Not that this franchise cares much about casting the right fit for the roles.

I'd set the first movie ENTIRELY in the past...I guess you pretty much have to start it in Scotland...so maybe have it during the crusades. They could have a Catholic bishop who died and came back...so a cult has formed around him that is tearing through the region. They kill MacLeod's clan and he comes back. Maybe Ramirez shows up to give the story exposition because he was looking for The Kurgan. The point is that I think it'd be cool to have each movie take place during a different era.

He was Egyptian, but moved & was living in Spain, working as the Chief Metallurgist to King Charles V under his new name of "Ramírez."

''redefine the sword fight''
13:01-
[YT]X__81cb0Xno[/YT]

Choice for Connor ?

alexander-skarsgard-the-legend-of-tarzan-on-640x960.jpg

If they go super over the top........can be a good pick for Connor

Sexy-GIFs-From-Vikings-TV-Show.jpg

http://deadline.com/2018/03/highlan...riter-ryan-condal-hands-in-script-1202307522/

EXCLUSIVE: It’s been a long time in the works but the reboot of classic warrior franchise Highlander is moving forward. I hear that Colony writer Ryan Condal has delivered a script to Lionsgate and pre-production is set to start later this year.

The studio has been handed a script for the project, which has been in development for nearly ten years after Summit Entertainment acquired the rights in 2008. It is a new take on the feature, which was originally released in 1986, starring Christopher Lambert and Sean Connery, and telling the story of an immortal Scottish swordsman who can only be killed by decapitation. It will be directed by John Wick helmer Chad Stahelski and is set to be produced by Neal H. Moritz. The original film, which had the catchphrase “there can only be one” and a soundtrack produced by rock band Queen, spawned four sequels and a number of TV spinoffs. I understand that Lionsgate, which acquired Summit Entertainment in 2012, is extremely pleased with the script and has set pre-production for October after Stahelski has finished the third John Wick film starring Keanu Reeves.

It is set for a 2019 release.

Wow, it may actually happen this time. While I loved the original as a kid, it hasn’t aged too well, so a remake of this one may not be a bad thing as long as they do it right.

However, good luck to them getting someone who can match Clancy Brown as The
Kurgan.

They already have a pretty good choice with Batista.

Not sure why Hollywood is so desperate to remake Highlander, a film that was never all that profitable in the first place.

Why reboot it? Just add to the mythology and make a next great chapter. The first movie is fine as it is.

I guess with a reboot you can start fresh without looking how back this film series ultimately became. You can use all the original characters with new actors.

I'd just do what this new Halloween movie is doing and ignore everything after the first movie.

Whatever happens, Thomas Jane has to play Macleod, then we'll never notice the difference.

I'd just do what this new Halloween movie is doing and ignore everything after the first movie.
The thing is in the original movie he was the last of the immortals. They ended up having to retcon it to do the sequels so that he wasn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"