Highlander Remake

Halloween's already done that. H20: 20 Years Later.

Sure, but you're missing my point.

The thing is in the original movie he was the last of the immortals. They ended up having to retcon it to do the sequels so that he wasn't.

I haven't seen the second movie, but that isn't a bad idea necessarily, it just seems the movie sucks.

There is actually two versions of Highlander 2. Both are bad.

With all of the issues with Highlander 2, my favorite scenes:

-Connor and Ramirez driving through security and being shot a hundred times, then bragging who got shot more times
-Ramirez comedic timing

With all of the issues with Highlander 2, my favorite scenes:

-Connor and Ramirez driving through security and being shot a hundred times, then bragging who got shot more times

That always brings a laugh to my face every time i watch the film..

Good news! I'm a big big fan of the original Highlander. I hope it's not a complete re-doing of that movie and that they can put an intresting spin on things.

What the mythology needs is a solid catalyst, "the prize" was too vague IMO and once they started to explain it, it all went south in the sequels.

The Gathering is a must, but what would drive all the immortals to seek out each other?

The Quickening is a must though! Maybe have the Quickening be the catalyst, the Prize is that you get part of the powers or skills from the killed immortal, maybe a little rejuvenation?
And no covers of the Queen songs, just start with the original Princes of the universe and then some new songs.

Last edited:
Not sure why Hollywood is so desperate to remake Highlander, a film that was never all that profitable in the first place.

It wasn’t profitable in the theatre. But after it was released on home video (a relatively new form of entertainment at the time) it found new life and made way more than its money back. Add to that the relative financial success of the sequels and the HUGE success of the TV series, and you will find that it was a VERY profitable franchise.

It wasn’t profitable in the theatre. But after it was released on home video (a relatively new form of entertainment at the time) it found new life and made way more than its money back. Add to that the relative financial success of the sequels and the HUGE success of the TV series, and you will find that it was a VERY profitable franchise.

Same with Blade Runner. And many years later, they made a Blade Runner sequel, which also flopped at the box office.

I love the original Highlander. However, a lot of its greatness IMO is that it was a product of its time. I don't think you can catch that unique lightning in a bottle again. I'd rather you make something new instead of trying to recapture a film that's over 30 years old.

All the sequels to the original film were garbage.

I would rather see a new story that comes up with a cool way to combine action, fantasy, period elements, and drama and meld them together.

What the mythology needs is a solid catalyst, "the prize" was too vague IMO and once they started to explain it, it all went south in the sequels.

I'd also like to see them expand on HOW it all started. Who created them. WHY are they needing to find each other to collect this mysterous prize..

I thought a lot of the best episodes of the TV series were better then the movie, quite frankly.

Instead of a movie remake why not a TV series reboot for Netflix?

I'd also like to see them expand on HOW it all started. Who created them. WHY are they needing to find each other to collect this mysterous prize..
Highlander doesn't need any of that. Trying to explain their origins doesn't work.

Case in point, Alien Covenant and Prometheus.

They already did anyways. It was called Highlander 2 and almost everyone hated it and it was struck from the canon with a cannon.

Origin stories are nice when they add something but I can't see what good an origin for the immortals would contribute.

They already did anyways. It was called Highlander 2 and almost everyone hated it and it was struck from the canon with a cannon.

Origin stories are nice when they add something but I can't see what good an origin for the immortals would contribute.

Exactly Teelie. The point there is that creating a backstory or origin for the Immortals doesn't work. What you come up with your head is far more interesting than what any film could do.

Highlander is better off without knowing where these beings come from.

Highlander is better off without knowing where these beings come from.

Exactly. I always thought that it was some type of gene that was activated in their body after a mortal death.

Or maybe so much time has passed, they don't even know why anymore? Immortals have existed since before history started getting recorded. And since they keep dying, it's probably hard to keep track of just exactly how this all started.

We don't need a movie and find out some hot garbage like an android decided to create new superhumans called immortals, but his experiment went all wrong and they all decided to kill each other off in order to become the android creator's favorite.

What good does knowing the exact origins of the Immortals truly do us? When again, they tried giving them an origin and backstory in the second movie that everyone hated. And it was so bad they went back and cut it.

*having flashbacks to Prometheus, shivers in fear*

I love the original and it happened to be on this morning. A good part of it's charm is the gritty and low budget look to it, like a lot of movies from this era.

I'm perfectly willing to give the new one a chance, but I'm not really expecting it to be as good as the original.

Remakes of movies from the 70's and 80's always seem just a bit too clean and clear if you have seen the originals

Death Wish was like that. Serviceable, but lacking the grittiness, single mindedness and cold blooded determination that Bronson had as the vigilante.

Also, Total Recall and RoboCop. Turning cool R-rated movies into bland, bloated and boring PG-13 flicks.

Or maybe so much time has passed, they don't even know why anymore? Immortals have existed since before history started getting recorded. And since they keep dying, it's probably hard to keep track of just exactly how this all started.

We don't need a movie and find out some hot garbage like an android decided to create new superhumans called immortals, but his experiment went all wrong and they all decided to kill each other off in order to become the android creator's favorite.

What good does knowing the exact origins of the Immortals truly do us? When again, they tried giving them an origin and backstory in the second movie that everyone hated. And it was so bad they went back and cut it.

Sometimes it is better to leave things a mystery. I would actually argue that it is one of the strengths of the mythos and the original film - Connor's angst at outliving his loved ones and not knowing why... why he was immortal and what the point of it all was.

Personally, I'd rather see a Netflix/ Hulu 10 episode show than just another 2 hour film.

I've never seen the first Highlander, can anyone give me a very brief description of what its about?

Queen music, Egyptian-Spanish Sean Connery, a French dude playing a Scotsman, giant swords, immortality, and Clancy Brown as a giant medieval-meets-punk-rock slaughter-y serial killer.

:woot: It's fun, basically.

Highlander director Russell Mulcahy was a music video director and it shows in Highlander. The film feels very much like a eighties music video in some sections.

The casting for Highlander was crazy. Most of the leads are cast against type.

Christopher Lambert didn't speak English. Highlander was his first English language film. Lambert' was born in New York to a French UN diplomat but grew up in France and Switzerland. Lambert's agent basically lied and told the filmmakers that he spoke English.

The filmmakers ended up getting Lambert six weeks of English lessons and saying his accent was a jumbled because immortal MacLeod moved around a lot over the centuries.

Sean Connery was playing a ancient Egyptian who became a Spaniard. Sean Connery can't do accent's different from his own and sounded exactly the same despite having a Spanish voice coach on Highlander :funny:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"