Highlander Remake

I love Highlander. The sequels are pieces of *****, but the the original film (even with it's obvious flaws, cheesy Queen soundtrack, a french guy playing a Scottish lead, and a Scottish guy playing a Spanish supporting role) has a certain 'something' which makes it very watchable.

And of course, the concept itself - that of a group of Earth-based immortals who must battle each other to attain an ultimate prize - is an interesting one and suitable different from the multitude of generic horror films and the like doing the rounds nowadays.

I agree that no other franchise in history needs a reboot as badly as Highlander, though Robocop got close also with it's crappy sequels. The problem with Highlander is that they only ever really envisioned the first film - then they ended up with a cult hit on their hands and had no gameplan, no idea where to go after the first film. The sequels and TV show make a mockery of the original (if the lead character won the prize and was thus the last remaining immortal, how could there be others?)

Any reboot will need a solid plan in place, with a start, middle and end clearly laid out.

Also, I hope this time they actually use a Scottish actor to play the Highlander. It will add authenticity. Christopher Lambert did a great job, but the accent was offputting at times.

I could see Gerard Butler doing it to be honest, but there's also Dougray Scott, James McAvoy, Ewan McGregor ..................... all decent Scot actors. Ewan McGregor in particular has a solemness and sincerity about him which reminds me of how Christopher Lambert played the role.

Last edited:
i just can not think of anyone who can play the iconic 3 roles particularity Ramirez and The Kurgan

I can't think of anyone who's not a big name TBH. Antonio Banderas for Ramirez perhaps? Genuine Spaniard, and handy with a sword after Zorro lol.

The Kurgan is tougher to cast. There are plenty of names to use for English, Scottish and Spanish actors but a good, imposing Eastern European/Russian for the Kurgan I can't think of.

cheesy Queen soundtrack
You take it back. Their score is nothing short of... a kind of magic! :awesome:

Maybe we can have a Rome reunion with Kevin McKidd as MacLeod and Ray Stevenson as The Kurgan.

Hey, I love Queen. Have all their albums and been to see We Will Rock You (the musical) twice. As a guitar player, I love the stuff Brian May does. But their soundtrack for Highlander was a cheesfest!! (in a good way :D)

What's going on with this now? I heard so many directors or writers but they keep playing musical chairs.

As far as The Kurgan goes, I have had the idea of kind of switching up the character some. While in the original, he is a total badass barbarian, maybe in the remake he could be more of a regal king, who, while is physically imposing, relies more on being cunning and deceitful. He could still do totally badass, evil things, but do them with such a calm demeanor that it makes it even more creepy and chilling. My choice for the role would be Alexander Skarsgard.

Like to see what they come up with myself. Dont thinkn they have anything really ,goes back & forth.

As far as The Kurgan goes, I have had the idea of kind of switching up the character some. While in the original, he is a total badass barbarian, maybe in the remake he could be more of a regal king, who, while is physically imposing, relies more on being cunning and deceitful. He could still do totally badass, evil things, but do them with such a calm demeanor that it makes it even more creepy and chilling. My choice for the role would be Alexander Skarsgard.

Youre idea isnt a bad one.....hate to see then follow the original to a 'T' myself.

I'm kinda torn on this one. As a rule, I tend to hate the idea of remakes. Especially with movies which I love, such as the original Highlander (which rocks all sorts of awesome).

However, there were several things in the original which could be improved upon. For one thing, have more immortals battling each other and taking one another's heads. Have an actual Scotsman playing MacCleod. And perhaps a storyline which will better lend itself to sequels. Like how they ret-conned the story from the first film into the Highlander EU for the TV series. Connor MacCleod wasn't the last of the immortals. He just killed the most dangerous of the evil immortals, The Kurgan. Make it a personal "grudge match" between the two of them, but don't make them the last two immortals. Not until you're absolutely ready to kill the series off, permanently.

I don't know. If handled well, like the remakes of The Blob, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1974), The Thing, etc, it could be really good.

If handled poorly, like Psycho, Halloween, Body Snatchers, A Nightmare On Elm Street, Friday The 13th, When A Stranger Calls, Sorority Row, etc, it's gonna suck big time.

I'm kinda torn on this one. As a rule, I tend to hate the idea of remakes. Especially with movies which I love, such as the original Highlander (which rocks all sorts of awesome).

However, there were several things in the original which could be improved upon. For one thing, have more immortals battling each other and taking one another's heads. Have an actual Scotsman playing MacCleod. And perhaps a storyline which will better lend itself to sequels. Like how they ret-conned the story from the first film into the Highlander EU for the TV series. Connor MacCleod wasn't the last of the immortals. He just killed the most dangerous of the evil immortals, The Kurgan. Make it a personal "grudge match" between the two of them, but don't make them the last two immortals. Not until you're absolutely ready to kill the series off, permanently.

I don't know. If handled well, like the remakes of The Blob, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers (1974), The Thing, etc, it could be really good.

If handled poorly, like Psycho, Halloween, Body Snatchers, A Nightmare On Elm Street, Friday The 13th, When A Stranger Calls, Sorority Row, etc, it's gonna suck big time.

I agree on your point on the Immortals 100%. I said that way back when I saw it,lol. I mean if you want to continue with it....why have the last 2 fight until 1 is left standing ending the series? Unless it was meant to be a stand alone story and not have sequels. I would have Connor ,at the time, fight what he believes to be the last or most dangerous Immortal only to find out, there are many others. Then end it with the tag line There can be only one.....and set it up for part II.

Vinne Jones would have worked a few years ago for Kurgan.

Clive Owen as Conner

I agree that no other franchise in history needs a reboot as badly as Highlander, though Robocop got close also with it's crappy sequels. The problem with Highlander is that they only ever really envisioned the first film - then they ended up with a cult hit on their hands and had no gameplan, no idea where to go after the first film. The sequels and TV show make a mockery of the original (if the lead character won the prize and was thus the last remaining immortal, how could there be others?)

No love for Highlander 3?

I have a love / hate relationship with Endgame. Obviously, it was cool to see both MacCleods, Methos making a cameo, and I loved the idea of the main villain using magic (like Kane), but being so strong that it would take two Highlanders to beat him.

Of course, they fu**ed it all by once again ignoring continuity (no footage shown from the first Highlander TV episode, ignoring Amanda and Connor's adopted son, John), all the best parts from the trailer not even being in the film, and the awful writing (The Sanctuary being Holy ground then not being Holy ground, the sword technique Connor taught Duncan that was focused on with no payoff, and merciless Kell nonsensically sparing Kate in the Producer's ending). I was fine with Connor dying since it was another passing of the torch deal, but I hated how they broke down his character before he died.

UGH!

No love for Highlander 3?

I have a love / hate relationship with Endgame. Obviously, it was cool to see both MacCleods, Methos making a cameo, and I loved the idea of the main villain using magic (like Kane), but being so strong that it would take two Highlanders to beat him.

Of course, they fu**ed it all by once again ignoring continuity (no footage shown from the first Highlander TV episode, ignoring Amanda and Connor's adopted son, John), all the best parts from the trailer not even being in the film, and the awful writing (The Sanctuary being Holy ground then not being Holy ground, the sword technique Connor taught Duncan that was focused on with no payoff, and merciless Kell nonsensically sparing Kate in the Producer's ending). I was fine with Connor dying since it was another passing of the torch deal, but I hated how they broke down his character before he died.

UGH!

I feel kinda the same way about Endgame. I would actually like to see the theatrical cut of Endgame since the dvd has a different version than was shown in theaters. I know the Producers Cut is supposed to be an improved cut of the movie but I still would like to see it and wish it was included on the dvd.

The one thing that kinda bugs me about a Highlander remake is that I'm a bigger fan of Duncan than Connor and I doubt the remake will have Duncan in it.

i would be shocked if they did'nt go after gerard butler

could actually use his Scottish accent for once lol

i would be shocked if they did'nt go after gerard butler

could actually use his Scottish accent for once lol

I wonder if most will think its another 300 with him in it. He's not a bad choice either...would be a top one if he wasnt associated with 300 perhaps.

well he would'nt look like leonidas tho lol probably more like this
beowulf15hi.jpg

I agree with Gerard Butler (or Thomas Jane) as Connor, but Liam Neeson must be Ramirez even if he was just reinacting his performance as Godfrey from Kingdom of Heaven.

But a few years ago I revisited the first movie and was disappointed to discover that it's actually not a very good movie. The acting careens from stiff to over-the-top to grating, the pacing is herky jerky, and it doesn't make a whole lot of sense in terms of plot. It's not a terrible movie. It has some nice action staging, but as a film it just doesn't work.

I loved Highlander, but my gripes with it were:

Fasil doing those backflips during the first fight was unnecessary and stupid looking.

I know it was a low budget movie, but they should've had the special effects of electricity going into whoever won a duel to begin with. Glad they added that later in the series, but it sucks not seeing it initially.

There should've been more character development and screentime for Heather and Kastagir. I would like to know how Connor actually met them. They were just...there.

The love scene between Connor and Brenda was rushed. It could've been much better.

Clancy Brown was so awesome in this movie as The Kurgan. Such a scary looking guy with those eyes of his. I really liked his battlefield armor in the past then his biker look in the present, but I HATED how he shaved his head later in the movie. I felt it ruined his badass character because it made him look like a goofball.

ewan mcgregor-conner can handle a sword pretty well from star wars! antonio bandaras-ramirez can handle a sword see zorro! kurgen is the toughest to cast how about ray stevenson from punisher?hell if ron perlman wsnt to old i say him!

I hope the script is much, much better than the original. The original had decent ideas but the movie wasn't good so I welcome a remake with open arms.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"