Homeland producers re-team for FX's "Tyrant"

You are right, in many Islamic countries homosexuality is punishable by death.

I'm assuming Barry doesn't know about it because he would have never brought his son near that country if that was the case.

I'm assuming Barry doesn't know about it because he would have never brought his son near that country if that was the case.

Probably yeah, but I'll bet it's going to be cringeworthy. I can already picture uncle Jamal either learning about what his nephew is doing or stumbling onto him in action, and then, things will probably take a dark turn. :D

I loved the first episode. The Godfather aspect had me sold from day 1. The "twist" at the end was a good one. I really like the lead actor who plays Barry. I don't care if he is Caucasian. Isn't his mother British on the show? I can't wait to see him get deeper and deeper into the politics and do things he didn't think he could do. There's already a little crazy in him with that flashback at the end.

Yeah, to me he has enough of a middle eastern look to sell the part, plus as Prison Mike said, his mother is white/european.

Well, that second episode was a big stinker imo. So much awkward, forced & bad dialogue, the kids in the convenience store were absolutely dreadful. The wife definitely acts even more moronically this time around, the big low probably was this incredibly cheesy & terrible flashback.

On the plus side, Jamal is getting more interesting & I'm still sticking with it seeing as it's heading in an interesting direction. On another note, it seems like the gay son subplot is not going to occupy a lot of room, which is good because there's a ton of interesting stuff to explore.

Still not sure about Rayner as the lead though, need to wait & see if he takes off & gets more interesting stuff to play, for now, he's fairly subdued but almost to the point of acting braindead. He's good in the last scene of the episode though.

Geez, you're harsh. I thought the episode was solid. Not as good as the first one, and I agree that the wife is a moron, but I'm still digging it. That scene where they executed the kids was awful. I knew it was coming, still, seeing it made me gasp.

I like Rayner. I agree that he's very subdued but I think we just need to allow his character to develop.

I don't know, the second episode is really badly written and I liked the pilot, so many awkward moments "Terrorists start young here, like gymnasts" or something, that kind of line, it's just... I can't imagine the writers patting themselves on the back for writing something this bad & Howard Gordon letting it slide.

Plus, the big problem is that everyone is speaking english, and it sounds hokey & forced, I guess they feared that having characters speaking arabic as they should would bother viewers or something.

Well yeah, having everyone speak English might seem a little hokey, but if all of the natives were speaking Arabic, then the only English-speaking scenes would be the ones involving Bassam and his wife and kids. That might be a hard sell for U.S. audiences.

I didn't think the second episode was as horrible as Riggins says.

Granted, it definitely wasn't as good as the pilot, but I don't expect it to be that good every week. There were also some questionable writing and editing choices, but none that make it horrible.

And I do agree though, having everyone speak english is a bit jarring to think about. But then again, they never really specified it wasn't a predominantly English speaking country, despite clearly being Arabic.

Last edited:
I don't watch foreign films for one reason subtitles. Especially in dialogue heavy dramas such as this one. Spend way too much time reading the bottom of the screen and you miss out on the physical aspects of scenes. So I'm glad they are not speaking Arabic. What I think is worse is when there is a setting in another country but they don't even use accents of that country.

I thought the second episode was decent. It wasn't as good as the pilot but I didn't hate it either. Barry's wife didn't seem to bother me as much this time around. I really liked the ending. Barry is going to like power more and more as the season progresses. I hope this show is like Breaking Bad and we just see how evil he becomes by the end.

Yeah, although part of me hopes his character arc goes in a slightly different direction. Instead of outright corruption like Walter White or Lester Nygaard, I think it might be more interesting to see him commit atrocities and still honestly believe that he's doing it for the right reasons (protecting his country, his family, whatever).

I don't watch foreign films for one reason subtitles. Especially in dialogue heavy dramas such as this one. Spend way too much time reading the bottom of the screen and you miss out on the physical aspects of scenes. So I'm glad they are not speaking Arabic. What I think is worse is when there is a setting in another country but they don't even use accents of that country.

You can't read subtitles & see what's going on at the same time? I find that hard to believe.

You can't read subtitles & see what's going on at the same time? I find that hard to believe.

If you don't see all that well, reading and seeing what's going on becomes more difficult than you might imagine.

Wear glasses? I don't know man :D This is so weird.

I liked the second ep. It was more of a set up for things to come.

And once again..i love Moran Atias! :hrt: She's almost the spitting image of my college Spanish teacher.

I liked the second ep. It was more of a set up for things to come.

And once again..i love Moran Atias! :hrt: She's almost the spitting image of my college Spanish teacher.

Good God yes.

Bassam, get back on that. The hell with your annoying wife.

Good God yes.

Bassam, get back on that. The hell with your annoying wife.

I have a feeling (due to the flashback of them in the cave) that that is the road the show will eventually go down, causing a rift between the brothers.

That third episode was infinitely better than the previous one.

That scene of Moran in the shower and putting on that robe...damn.

Haha yes... we need MANY more scenes like that with Moran.

I love how none of the episodes end on a happy note. Even in this episode, Bassam kept his brother from executing the wrong people and messing up the country's national standing... but they still executed that poor guy whose only "crime" was trying to kill the man who had been raping his wife for God knows how long.

I think the show is starting to pick up steam. Love the third episode it was fantastic, I liked so called terrorists quite a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"