Ryan Murphy's "Open"

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/ryan-murphy-cable-drama-sexuality-relationships/
Ryan Murphy Shopping Hot Cable Drama About Sexuality & Relationships
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: In what will likely be one of the biggest cable sales of the year, Glee and American Horror Story co-creator Ryan Murphy is out shopping a racy new project. Open, which he is creating and writing with Dexter co-executive producer Lauren Gussis, is described as a modern, provocative exploration of human sexuality and relationships. The subject matter seems to lend itself to premium cable, though I hear selected basic cable networks are also being pitched. The project just hit the marketplace, and I hear there are already multiple networks bidding. Open marks Murphy’s first project with Fox 21, the cable production division of 20th Century Fox TV where Murphy is under a rich overall deal.

Murphy has three series on the air, which he co-created and executive produces, Fox’s Glee, FX’s AHS and freshman NBC comedy The New Normal. A fifth-season renewal for Glee is pending, and Murphy just unveiled that the upcoming third installment of AHS will be titled American Horror Story: Coven and will star Kathy Bates in addition to Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson and Taissa Farmiga. Additionally, CAA-repped Murphy is directing the film adaptation of Larry Kramer’s celebrated Broadway play The Normal Heart for HBO, with Julia Roberts and Mark Ruffalo starring. Gussis, repped by CAA and 3 Arts, also worked on ABC’s Once Upon A Time. Fox 21′s slate includes the Emmy-winning Homeland for Showtime, FX’s Sons Of Anarchy, A&E’s Those Who Kill, and the FX pilot Tyrant, from Howard Gordon, Gideon Raff, and Craig Wright, which recently tapped Ang Lee as director.
This guy's slate is ridiculously full already, but I'd check this out. I'll always take dark and sexy Murphy over bright and cheery Murphy.

He is getting almost neck and neck with GDT in terms of "Holy **** how many projects can one man take on at once?!"

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/rya...hip-drama-open-lands-at-hbo-with-pilot-order/
Ryan Murphy’s Provocative Relationship Drama ‘Open’ Lands At HBO With Pilot Order
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: After fielding interest from multiple networks, Open, the racy new drama spec from Glee and American Horror Story co-creator Ryan Murphy, has gone to HBO, which has given it a pilot order. Casting is expected to begin shortly for filming in the fall. Open, which Murphy co-wrote with with Dexter co-executive producer Lauren Gussis, is described as a modern, provocative exploration of human sexuality and relationships. It hails from Fox 21, the cable production division of 20th Century Fox TV where Murphy is under a rich overall deal. This marks the first project at HBO for 20th TV/Fox21, whose maiden project at fellow premium cable network Showtime was the Emmy-winning drama Homeland. “Gary (Newman), Bert (Salke) and I have been looking for the right opportunity to be in business with HBO for awhile, and this show represents the exact right opportunity with its provocative storytelling and the quality of all of Ryan’s production that is consistent with the HBO brand,” said 20th TV chairman Dana Walden.

Open expands HBO’s relationship with Murphy where he is directing a passion project of his, the film adaptation of Larry Kramer’s celebrated Broadway play The Normal Heart. It is through that movie that HBO president Michael Lombardo got to know Murphy and observe his talent first-hand. Then he got the call from 20th TV and was given the Open script. I was hooked,” Lombardo said. “I think it is a perfect marriage of an idea and execution. This is an area we’ve been talking about doing something in for some time, and Ryan did it in a way that is enormously engaging. We’re thrilled doing this project with him, Dana and Gary.”

Open revolves around five lead characters, including a married couple of thirtysomethings, the husband’s male co-worker and a woman in her 40s who is a yoga professional. Murphy said he had been bouncing ideas about a show exploring human relationships when Dante Di Loreto of his company, Ryan Murphy Prods., heard about Gussis working on a similar project and put them together. “She was great fresh voice and energy,” Murphy said about combining his efforts with Gussis. The two worked on the sscript in December in what marked the first time Murphy developed a project on spec instead of selling a pitch. As for the spec landing at HBO, “I’m thrilled about it,” Murphy said, noting his great relationship with Lombardo through Normal Heart and calling HBO a perfect home for Open. “They have great projects, and this is really an adult show that is very frank in its depiction of sex.” But that depiction never feels gratuitous, 20th TV chairman Newman noted. “It is a very honest exploration of relationships and intimacy, and the sex feels organic to the subject matter,” he said.

HBO previously tackled the subject of relationships and sexuality with Tell Me You Love Me, though I hear Open takes a completely different approach. “It is a challenge how do talk about relationships and monogamy without feeling naval gazing and neurotic, and (Murphy and Gussis) figured it out,” Lombardo said.

For Murphy, Open adds to an already full plate that includes three series on the air, which he co-created and executive produces: Fox’s Glee, FX’s AHS and freshman NBC comedy The New Normal. A fifth-season renewal for Glee is pending, and Murphy just unveiled that the upcoming third installment of AHS will be titled American Horror Story: Coven and will star Kathy Bates in addition to Jessica Lange, Sarah Paulson and Taissa Farmiga. Additionally, CAA-repped Murphy is working on The Normal Heart for HBO, with Julia Roberts and Mark Ruffalo starring. Walden vouches full support for Murphy and is not worried by his enormous workload. “He’s demonstrated over and over that he is capable of handing volume in extraordinary ways,” she said. Gussis, repped by CAA and Circle Of Confusion, also worked on ABC’s Once Upon A Time. Fox 21′s slate includes the Emmy-winning Homeland for Showtime; FX’s Sons Of Anarchy; A&E’s Those Who Kill; and the FX pilot Tyrant, from Howard Gordon, Gideon Raff, and Craig Wright, which recently tapped Ang Lee as director.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/wes-bentley-to-star-in-ryan-murphys-hbo-pilot-open/
Wes Bentley To Star In Ryan Murphy’s HBO Pilot ‘Open’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Wes Bentley (The Hunger Games) is set to star in Open, HBO’s drama pilot from Glee and American Horror Story co-creator Ryan Murphy. The project, which Murphy co-wrote with Lauren Gussis, is described as a modern, provocative exploration of human sexuality and relationships. Bentley will play the handsome but arrogant Evan Foster, a bit of a blowhard who loves espousing his theories on human sexuality. Open hails from Fox 21, the cable division of 20th Century Fox TV where Murphy is under a rich overall deal. This marks a rare foray into television for Bentley, whose only previous TV gig was a starring role in another HBO pilot, Tilda, opposite Diane Keaton.

If there is one thing Ryan is good at, it's casting.

Im in it for the threesomes and sapphic sex.

Who's with me?

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/scott-speedman-to-star-in-ryan-murphy’s-hbo-pilot-‘open’/
Scott Speedman To Star In Ryan Murphy’s HBO Pilot ‘Open’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: Scott Speedman is set as one of the leads in Open, HBO’s drama pilot from Ryan Murphy. The project, which Murphy co-wrote with Lauren Gussis, is described as a modern, provocative exploration of human sexuality and relationships. Speedman will play Jonathan, a handsome sports marketing executive. On Open, from Fox 21, he joins Wes Bentley, who was recently cast as the other male lead. Felicity alum Speedman, repped by WME and Circle of Confusion, toplined ABC’s drama series Last Resort last season. He recently wrapped Atom Egoyan’s psychological thriller Queen Of the Night opposite Ryan Reynolds.
:eek::atp:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/ann...gh-to-co-star-in-ryan-murphys-hbo-pilot-open/
Anna Torv & Jennifer Jason Leigh To Co-Star In Ryan Murphy’s HBO Pilot ‘Open’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Fringe star Anna Torv and Jennifer Jason Leigh, coming off Revenge, have have joined the cast of Open, HBO’s drama pilot from Ryan Murphy. The Fox 21 project, which Murphy co-wrote with Lauren Gussis, is described as a modern, provocative exploration of human sexuality and relationships. In her followup to Fringe, Torv will play one of the five central characters, Windsor, a yoga instructor in a longterm relationship with Holly (Leigh), an actress intensely committed to her career, who, upon meeting Grace, feels an instant connection. Aussie Torv, repped by WME and Australia’s United Management, and Leigh, repped by CAA and Untitled, join previously cast Scott Speedman and Wes Bentley.
Anna Torv playing a lesbian Ryan Murphy character???... I'm going to need a moment or two to process this, guys...

Bravo, Ryan... bravo. :up:

She played a lesbian in Mistresses as well.:woot:

http://www.deadline.com/2013/07/ann...gh-to-co-star-in-ryan-murphys-hbo-pilot-open/

Anna Torv & Jennifer Jason Leigh To Co-Star In Ryan Murphy’s HBO Pilot ‘Open’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Fringe star Anna Torv and Jennifer Jason Leigh, coming off Revenge, have have joined the cast of Open, HBO’s drama pilot from Ryan Murphy. The Fox 21 project, which Murphy co-wrote with Lauren Gussis, is described as a modern, provocative exploration of human sexuality and relationships. In her followup to Fringe, Torv will play one of the five central characters, Windsor, a yoga instructor in a longterm relationship with Holly (Leigh), an actress intensely committed to her career, who, upon meeting Grace, feels an instant connection. Aussie Torv, repped by WME and Australia’s United Management, and Leigh, repped by CAA and Untitled, join previously cast Scott Speedman and Wes Bentley.
Anna Torv playing a lesbian Ryan Murphy character???... I'm going to need a moment or two to process this, guys...

Bravo, Ryan... bravo. :up:
1049.gif

Gotta love how rigid some of the people in the comments section of some sites sound... "I'm a straight female sci-fi fan, WHY WOULD I EVER WANT TO WATCH THIS?!?!?" :whatever:

Why would that woman watch a show about swinging/poly relationships if she's a sci fi fan?

There's no science fiction here.

It's less about the being a sci-fi fan and more about the expectation that that's ALL Torv should ever be involved with, and that the idea of her playing a gay character is the cherry on top of this lady's **** sundae.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/08/emmys-qa-ryan-murphy/
Deadline: You are also working on the HBO pilot Open. Have you cast the lead for that yet?
Murphy: I haven’t. I’m just finishing up The Normal Heart. I’m doing some editing on that, then I go back and finish the shooting in November. The Normal Heart comes out in May. We’ve cast 3 of the 4 leads — Wes Bentley, Scott Speedman and Anna Torv — and I’ve just now started to meet women for the other female lead. We’re in that final stretch of casting, and we’re going to be shooting that in January here in Los Angeles.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/michelle-monaghan-to-star-in-ryan-murphy’s-hbo-pilot-‘open’/
Michelle Monaghan To Star In Ryan Murphy’s HBO Pilot ‘Open’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Michelle Monaghan rounds out the lead cast of Open, HBO’s drama pilot from Ryan Murphy. The Fox 21 project, which Murphy co-wrote with Lauren Gussis, is described as a modern, provocative exploration of human sexuality and relationships. Monaghan will play the central female character Grace, a successful and recently engaged gynecologist. She joins Scott Speedman, who plays Grace’s fiance Jonathan, Wes Bentley (Evan), Anna Torv (Windsor) and Jennifer Jason Leigh (Holly). Open keeps Monaghan — repped by ICM Partners, Circle of Confusion, and attorney Robert Offer — in the HBO fold. She plays the female lead opposite Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson in the pay cable network’s eight-episode limited series True Detective, which premieres in January 2014. Her upcoming features include Fort Bliss, A Many Splintered Thing and Better Living Through Chemistry.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/11/che...rphyhbo-pilot-open-jason-omara-complications/
Cheyenne Jackson has become a late addition to Ryan Murphy‘s HBO pilot Open, from Fox 21. Jackson will be a series regular playing a new character I hear Murphy has created for him. Open, which Murphy co-wrote with Lauren Gussis, is described as a modern, provocative exploration of human sexuality and relationships. It centers on five central characters played by Michelle Monaghan, Scott Speedman, Wes Bentley, Anna Torv and Jennifer Jason Leigh. I hear Jackson plays a handsome meth addict. Filming is expected to begin in February. Jackson previously worked with Murphy on Glee where he did an arc. The actor, repped by ICM Partners and the Schiff Co., guest stars on the Lifetime pilot HR.
:awesome:

http://www.deadline.com/2014/01/jaimie-alexander-to-co-star-in-ryan-murphys-hbo-pilot-open/
Jaimie Alexander To Co-Star In Ryan Murphy’s HBO Pilot ‘Open’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: Thor‘s Jaimie Alexander has joined Ryan Murphy‘s HBO pilot Open as a series regular. Additionally, Alexander is in negotiations to topline the indie Money Is Money with Luke Bracey. Open, which Murphy co-wrote with Lauren Gussis, is described as a modern, provocative exploration of human sexuality and relationships. It centers on five central characters played by Michelle Monaghan, Scott Speedman, Wes Bentley, Anna Torv and Jennifer Jason Leigh. Alexander will play Claire, the postpartum-suffering, pill-popping Stepford wife of Evan (Bentley). Alexander was a finalist for the new female lead role on Fox/20th TV’s 24: Live Another Day that went to Yvonne Strahovski but the studio loved her, leading to her casting in Open, from 20th TV’s cable division Fox 21. Alexander is probably best known for playing Sif in Marvel’s Thor movie franchise, a role she will be reprising in an upcoming episode of ABC’s Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. She will next be seen in London Fields opposite Billy Bob Thornton. Money Is Money, directed by Gela Babluani and produced by Hubert Caillard and Rachael Horovitz, starts production in March in Detroit. Alexander is repped by Mosaic, WME and attorney Lev Ginsberg.

Not Going Forward

But but but... that cast. :csad:

I need Anna Torv on something right away. Anything. Everything.

That sucks. I guess they just had to hard a time getting it together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"