Honest,.. Year end Regrets of a general Nature - What R Yours?

Varient

Guru for Geeks
Reaction score
Another year ends.

EVERYONE HAS SOMETHING THEY REGRET HAVING NOT DONE.

Either in the short or the long run.

I'm honestly curious about what others may regret not doing, getting done or seen happen?

For example:
On the short,.. I regret not finishing my degree in EE. Maybe next year,.. or the year after?

On the Long,.. I regret Not going to the moon. I was a child when they landed on the moon,.. and as a teen I was sure that we would have people go live there and I waited for the opertunity to get in that line,.....

Now,... with our tech seeming to be less than it was in the sixties,.. we are "thinking" about another moon mission.

What do you regret on the short or long?

V.

I regret having my mother-in-law's husband do lots of "free" renovations in my house earlier in February.

Due to his "f$%@#^$#ck ups", I ended up NOT having a kitchen for 8 months, and paying about an extra $4000 in repairing the work he screwed up, as well as losing another $8000 worth of damages to a flood he caused by sweeping construction material into my drain pipe.

:cmad: :cmad: :cmad:

:csad:

I regret not talking to some fine (and in some cases, very special) people on these boards sooner. :)

As for real life -- no regrets. Nevah! :)

I don't really regret anything. You're not supposed to imo.

Live and learn. And do it all over again.

I regret having my mother-in-law's husband do lots of "free" renovations in my house earlier in February.

Due to his "f$%@#^$#ck ups", I ended up NOT having a kitchen for 8 months, and paying about an extra $4000 in repairing the work he screwed up, as well as losing another $8000 worth of damages to a flood he caused by sweeping construction material into my drain pipe.

:cmad: :cmad: :cmad:

Ouch.
You regret depending on an Inlaw,.... on the money burned,...or the damage done,... or all three?

Well,.. at least you are past this and won't have to worry about it,...

I regret not talking to some fine (and in some cases, very special) people on these boards sooner. :)

As for real life -- no regrets. Nevah! :)

How do you live life w/o regrets?

Serious question.

Because I can regret (example) being detained to where I miss a bus that would get me to the airport on time to catch a plane.

Admittedly,.. once I get it resolved the regret fades,... but it still occurs.

On the long term I can regret not taking a path that was offered or missing an opertunity not realized for whatever reason.

Life doesn't stop,.. but I can still feel this.

How do you not?

V.

How do you live life w/o regrets?

Serious question.

Because I can regret (example) being detained to where I miss a bus that would get me to the airport on time to catch a plane.

Admittedly,.. once I get it resolved the regret fades,... but it still occurs.

On the long term I can regret not taking a path that was offered or missing an opertunity not realized for whatever reason.

Life doesn't stop,.. but I can still feel this.

How do you not?

V.

By being ignorant to it :oldrazz:

The regret may be there, however, we all have much more important 'current' affairs that should be in the forefront -- drowning out the regret to the point of nonexistence :yay:

You asked; I waffled :D

Every year I strive for, and get a little bit better, at walking into the new year with very little regret about the year gone past. I've become much better at not letting opportunities go by when they present themselves, or at least choosing the ones that I don't mind letting past. I've become much better at giving the people I care about in my life enough quality time and affection and letting them know that I love them. And, I've become much better at realizing a healthy work-life balance. Can we always do more? Absolutely. Do we always have minor regrets that fade from the memory with time over the course of the year? Sure. But the major regrets, the ones that last and stick in the mind, I've done a good job of mitigating and am now at a point where I have no real regrets to speak of going into 2008 other than not finally finishing that book I've been writing. Not a bad place to be from my perspective. :up:

jag

Don't really have any regrets, sure there are some things I wished went differently. However, I accomplished my two big goals of '07, getting a new job and completing a half marathon, so I got that going for me, which is nice. Now gotta think about those 2008 goals.

I regret losing the girl.
I regret missing some chances.
I regret letting my passion dictate my direction and thus causing some career pain.
I regret assuming life gets easier as you go.
I regret I was not born to a rich and powerful family :p

All things that can be remedied ('cept the last one) so I'll just work on it.

Here's to 2008

Ouch.
You regret depending on an Inlaw,.... on the money burned,...or the damage done,... or all three?

Well,.. at least you are past this and won't have to worry about it,...

I regret letting him do the "free" work, which ended up costing me more if I had paid someone to do it.

And because he's my Mom-in-law's husband, I have to be "fake nice" to him...

But you are right... time to look ahead and move on with life.

:yay:

well its too bad you can't change the past .

I have no regrets.
A year ago I was an alcoholic, drinking about a pint of whiskey and a bottle or two of wine every other day.

I went into an Intensive Outpatient Alcohol Addiction Treatment Program that was perfectly suited to me...and now, on January 22nd, it'll be a year without drinking, and I have no desire to ever drink again.

As a result, my whole life has improved in ways I never could've imagined only a year ago. I'm the same person, but a totally different person, excited to be alive and sober every day, so far.
It's easy not to drink, because my life is so much better.
But I was stuck in that compulsive cyclical drinking for like, over ten years, and I don't even regret that time on that dark, dangerous path.

well im glad you were able to overcome that wilhelm . to battle a major addiction for a year and be on the winning side is a big accomplishment.
i think if we look at the positive aspects of our life it overshadows the regret and mistakes.

By being ignorant to it :oldrazz:

The regret may be there, however, we all have much more important 'current' affairs that should be in the forefront -- drowning out the regret to the point of nonexistence :yay:

You asked; I waffled :D

Understood.

Every year I strive for, and get a little bit better, at walking into the new year with very little regret about the year gone past. I've become much better at not letting opportunities go by when they present themselves, or at least choosing the ones that I don't mind letting past. I've become much better at giving the people I care about in my life enough quality time and affection and letting them know that I love them. And, I've become much better at realizing a healthy work-life balance. Can we always do more? Absolutely. Do we always have minor regrets that fade from the memory with time over the course of the year? Sure. But the major regrets, the ones that last and stick in the mind, I've done a good job of mitigating and am now at a point where I have no real regrets to speak of going into 2008 other than not finally finishing that book I've been writing. Not a bad place to be from my perspective. :up:

jag
ah.
You are set except for a personal project? Yes,.. You are doing good.

Props.

V.

Don't really have any regrets, sure there are some things I wished went differently. However, I accomplished my two big goals of '07, getting a new job and completing a half marathon, so I got that going for me, which is nice. Now gotta think about those 2008 goals.

What exactly do you wish went differently?

I mean,... I've admitted I wish the space program had not been squelched by Nixon back in the early 70's,...

I regret losing the girl.
I regret missing some chances.
I regret letting my passion dictate my direction and thus causing some career pain.
I regret assuming life gets easier as you go.
I regret I was not born to a rich and powerful family :p

All things that can be remedied ('cept the last one) so I'll just work on it.

Here's to 2008

All this Year??? Whoaa,... u have been busy. I'm reffing your having to decide on career and going with your feelings.

Would it have been "better" for you to not follow your heart?

V.

I regret letting him do the "free" work, which ended up costing me more if I had paid someone to do it.

And because he's my Mom-in-law's husband, I have to be "fake nice" to him...

But you are right... time to look ahead and move on with life.

:yay:

That always bites.

I'm on the other side of that - I don't mind being on tap for the entire family for computer repair,... but I have gotten into tussles and hurt feelings of relations that fully expected me to build or buy a new computer for them upon request,.... out of my pocket,.. with no intent to reinburse because we are "family." After the dust settles we must "act" like no one is irritated with anyone else for the sake of peace in family gatherings.

V.

I have no regrets.
A year ago I was an alcoholic, drinking about a pint of whiskey and a bottle or two of wine every other day.

I went into an Intensive Outpatient Alcohol Addiction Treatment Program that was perfectly suited to me...and now, on January 22nd, it'll be a year without drinking, and I have no desire to ever drink again.

As a result, my whole life has improved in ways I never could've imagined only a year ago. I'm the same person, but a totally different person, excited to be alive and sober every day, so far.
It's easy not to drink, because my life is so much better.
But I was stuck in that compulsive cyclical drinking for like, over ten years, and I don't even regret that time on that dark, dangerous path.

Props on how far you have come on this.

With respect: the only regret I could see you having would be the time wasted with christianity. You have said more than once that you have spent your childhood and part of your adult life before you decided it was not for you as it currently exists.

I could assume that you accept it as a learning experience - hence you don't regret it "now",... But I thought I'd ask you instead.

V.

Not Getting Laid.

Still a Virgin in 08
:down

Just keep that in the mild regret section,... there are things out there that will kill you for getting laid.

Reach 30 as a virgin and I will pay for your visit to a reputable place of ill-repute in Vegas.

What exactly do you wish went differently?

I mean,... I've admitted I wish the space program had not been squelched by Nixon back in the early 70's,...

Well, it's nothing as lofty as the space program being squelched and not being able to live on the moon. More like going out with a girl I liked and her "wanting to just be friends instead", can't really call it a regret because I don't regret going out with her or anything and I'm not the one who made the decision, but it would've been cool if things went differently though.

Props on how far you have come on this.

With respect: the only regret I could see you having would be the time wasted with christianity. You have said more than once that you have spent your childhood and part of your adult life before you decided it was not for you as it currently exists.

I could assume that you accept it as a learning experience - hence you don't regret it "now",... But I thought I'd ask you instead.

V.
No, I do regret the effects of my Christianity, but I believe, from the title, this thread is about stuff from the past year, and I've been well free of Christianity for quite a while now.

In fact, it's sad because just by chance, my Mom is an alcoholic too, and she finally got so bad that she went into a program, on her own, shortly after I did, without even hearing that I was in one.

Mine was based on facts, science, and they never brought God into it, and I depended on my own strength to overcome the early cravings and get sane again.

My Mom went with an A.A. style approach, where you depend on God's strength, and anything good in your life is because of God, while all bad things in your life are your fault...constant prayer, and service, etc.

And she relapsed 3 weeks after she got out of her program, and went back in...she's blown $40,000 and endless hours of prayer and study of the Bible and the Big Book and A.A. meetings and she's had no success, while I've been sober for almost a year, she couldn't even make it one month.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"