• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

HOT TAKES: FOR ALL THINGS HOT AND OPINIONATED!

Yeah Mad TV always had the funnier sketches and pretape segments even at SNL's height... even though a lot of those sketches would not play today. lol

Yo there was this one MadTV sketch called Racist Family Feud, it was HILARIOUS. But yeah, they would never fly today.

Why Debra Wilson, Aries Spears and Nicole Sullivan never got their own shows, I will never know.

I preferred MadTV over SNL in the couple of years after Will Ferrell left SNL, and that was when Key and Peele, Bobby Lee and Ike Barinholtz were on the show. Once the Andy Samberg/Bill Hader/Kristen Wiig/Jason Sudeikis era started SNL won me back.

I liked MadTV back then because it was edgier than SNL but looking back on some of those sketches, they were just being offensive for the hell of it. If you want to see a comparison, look up "Curb Your Enthusiasm MadTV Parody" on YouTube (can't post it here for obvious reasons) then look up "Bern Your Enthusiasm" from SNL. The difference in writing is night and day in that case.

Why Debra Wilson, Aries Spears and Nicole Sullivan never got their own shows, I will never know.
Michael McDonald too. Those Stuart sketches were my all time favorites from MadTV. It's weird that out of everyone on that show, only Key and Peele really achieved a lot of success after it. Sure, there were also people like Alex Borstein, Phil LaMarr, Ike Barinholtz and Bobby Lee who've all had great careers but it was really only Key and Peele who achieved that kind of fame afterwards.

Yo there was this one MadTV sketch called Racist Family Feud, it was HILARIOUS. But yeah, they would never fly today.

Nicole had a recurring role on King of Queens and a cable show that lasted a single season!. But her best role of all time:

Doc Savage was bi-racial. He was Caucasian and Mayan.

The Doc Savage pulps tell of how his father spent many years exploring Central America and found a lost tribe of Mayans living in a hidden valley. It doesn't describe what Doc's mother looked like, only that she died giving birth to Doc on his father's yacht off the coast of Central America. Years later when he goes to that valley he is treated like royalty. Some of us fans believe that the writer/creator of the pulp was not allowed to come out and say Doc was partially a person of color because of the racist times it came out. Doc's nickname is "The Man of Bronze" because of his dark skin. They pass it off in the books as being dark from frequent exposure to the sun on his adventures.

Comic book related hot take: Billy Batson only ages when he's Billy Batson. Sure, the reason he's STILL a kid ecomic book time, but I think a fun partial in universe justification for it it is that Capitain Marvel does not age, so he only ages while he's in his normal form. So, if he's superheroing A LOT in his free time, he's only aging at half or one third speed. Doesn't account for all the real world time, obviously, but it gives some wiggle room and it's potentially fun and/or dramatic.

It could even explain the inconsistency of Mary going back and forth between being his younger sister or his older sister. Maybe she was one, but became the other. She had a period of semi-retirement while she focused on schoolwork, and she was aging twice as fast as him for a couple of years.

Society is a joke. You have people with more money than they’ll ever need, and then hard working people who May not be as smart having to use their bodies ten times as hard, to service and do the grunt work. Tale as old as time, but the lower class shouldn’t accept it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"