Dark Phoenix How confident are you that this movie is going to be great? (No Spoilers)

I chose not confident at all, but I do expect the film to be good. I just don't think I'm going to be blown away. Given how little action is in the trailers I am hoping to be surprised. My hype for the film has fallen a lot for the same reasons mentioned here. The suits don't bother me, and neither does Kinberg as writer/director, but the rumored changes to the 3rd act definitely do. I think a battle on a train can be awesome and epic, but knowing it's replacing a battle on another planet?

There wasn’t. Major spoilers ahead:

The original third act contained the same amount of screen time in space; one scene. They’re both featuring Jean sacrificing herself in shallow space. The original had her doing so to destroy an incoming fleet of aliens while the new one has her sacrificing herself to kill Chastain’s character. There was never anything on another planet - at least not in any of the filming drafts. The majority of the original third act took place at a UN meeting with Jean causing larger-scale destruction and only had Scott and Xavier fighting aliens and Chastain. The new act takes place on the train and in it’s crash site and features all the surviving mutants from Act 2. It’s more intimate and smaller in scale, but from what I’ve been told it’s miles better. I guess there’s a heavier family theme in the new cut that resonates a lot more.

Old 3rd act - bigger scale but only Xavier/Jean/Cyclops
New 3rd act - features everybody eXcept for Quicksilver but smaller scale

Sheez. Why not feature all of them and still not make the scale smaller?

Considering the reshoots were scheduled at a later date to accommodate the cast (which then caused the release date to be delayed), I doubt a "scheduling problem" was the reason
Quicksilver wouldn't be in the third act.

Last edited:
Old 3rd act - bigger scale but only Xavier/Jean/Cyclops
New 3rd act - features everybody eXcept for Quicksilver but smaller scale

Sheez. Why not feature all of them and still not make the scale smaller?

The destroyed sets would make the budget skyrocket further if they were recreated, taken longer as much of it were massive outdoor sets and permits would be needed to secure the shoot, so they emulated the isolated action of the original comic book moon battle.

Evan Peters had to be written out of both times because of American Horror Story, which he was the central character of Season 7 (original versions shoot) and had played like, 5-6 characters during Season 8 (reshoot Schedule) was filming both times they shot the third act and Sophie’s GoT commitments made the scheduling really complicated. I forget what exactly but Fassbender and Kodi has scheduling conflicts for the first go around too so they really focused on a Scott which hasn’t been done before in this franchise. That’s why X-Men wasn’t in the title, it’s because of the original version.

Last edited:
I'm confident this will be actually great (for fans particularly) and a good end to the franchise as a whole. Uh, I'm not confident it will make any money, but it's so much better quality wise, than Last Stand, and that's all I really wanted. Jean and Cyclops finally getting SOME justice.

I'm confident this will be actually great (for fans particularly) and a good end to the franchise as a whole. Uh, I'm not confident it will make any money, but it's so much better quality wise, than Last Stand, and that's all I really wanted. Jean and Cyclops finally getting SOME justice.
Is Cyclops getting good material here?

Remains to be seen. Unfortunately Cyclops not getting killed in the first act of an adaptation of The Dark Phoenix Saga is already considered good material.

Pretty much lol. He's featured in the TV spots more than he ever was in Last Stand, so I'm already happy. *shrug*.

Not confident at all. Kinberg wrote X3 and Apocalypse, and I'm not convinced he was the sole writer for DOFP (a lot of the dialogue and story cohesion isn't like his normal work, even for non-X-men films). His basic formula is: drama + death fodder = MORE DRAMA. He did it in X3 and Apocalypse and, from what I've seen from the DP previews, he hasn't learned his lesson one bit.

That, alone, worries me the most. BUT...I'd love to be proven wrong. I really want this movie to be good and, from what I've seen, Kinberg really put his heart into this. So if it's the best he can do and it's still a turd, then he needs to never touch the script for another X-men movie again.

Remains to be seen. Unfortunately Cyclops not getting killed in the first act of an adaptation of The Dark Phoenix Saga is already considered good material.

This franchise set the bar so low for Scott that it won't be hard to do something better than before.

It's not a great movie, but it is decent and worth watching. It's basically a character-driven drama that every so often kicks off into super-powered mayhem.

Sounds good to watch.... From the comfort of my home when it comes out on blu-ray.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"