• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

how do i get back into comics

spidergrant

Civilian
Reaction score
hi i just wanted to say that i feel like im losing interest in comics. i think its because of transformers and right now im really getting into them instead of superheroes and i even have a fan fic of them. i just dont want to lose interest in comics and i just want to know how to get back into them

Buy a few cheap issues of old stuff that you never looked at before. There is always something that you haven't seen.

i suggest the astounding wolf- man from image or the highlander comics from dynamite comics

You can read IDW's Transformer series - if that's what you like.

Well, ask for recommendations and try a new genres and new titles you haven't before. Miost readers start reading superhero titles, then branch out and try other types. Or maybe you're strictly a Marvel or DC and have never really tried Dark Horse or Image before?

You do know there are Transformers comics - relatively new ones, and ones that go back to the 80s - as well, right?

How old're you anyway, just out of curiousity? What titles are you reading now? What books DIDN'T you like? Do you read monthlies or trades? Answers to these kinds of questions will help us give you some advice.

Ok, I see from some previous posts that you're only 13, and that thus far you've enjoyed Age of Apocalypse, Young Avengers, along with ASM, UXM and NA.

Well, here we go then: Have you tried Ultimate Spider-Man? Have you tried Runaways? If you like the X-Men, have you tried Astonishing X-Men?

I would strongly recommend a series for you called Invincible

42776796658.1.gif

Title: Invincible
Writer/Artist: Robert Kirkman, Ryan Ottley, Cory Walker
Publisher: Image

Amazon.com listing:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/15...f=pd_bbs_1/103-9396336-0621452?_encoding=UTF8

Invincible is the Eisner Award-nominated top selling Image book, created and written by Robert Kirkman (same guy who's doing The Walking Dead, Marvel Zombies, Marvel Team Up, and Ultimate X-Men). Here's the pitch from the back of volume one:

"Mark Grayson is just like most everyone else his age. He's a senior at a normal American high School. He has a crappy part time job after school and on weekends. He likes girls quite a bit... but doesn't quite understand them. He enjoys hanging out with his friends, and sleeping late on Saturdays... at least until the good cartoons come on. The only difference between Mark and everyone else is that his father is the most powerful superhero on the planet, and as of late, he seems to be inheriting his father's powers. Strange things begin to happen to Mark Grayson as he begins to develop superpowers. Luckily, his dad is around to show him the ropes, at least he would be if he weren't so busy saving the world all the time. "

But that's just the begining. Over only two years, Kirkman has not only developed Mark and his father into amazingly fleshed out characters, he's created a whole world around Mark that rivals the entire Marvel or DC Universes in variety and creativity. The twists are non stop, as is the fun. The plot is no holds barred, and you truly don't know what is going to happen next. The storytelling is top notch, and it is downright the best superhero title being published today.

Format: So far there's six softcover volumes collecting the first 26 issues. But the Hardcovers are the real bargain, as they contain three softcovers each, plus a load of bonus material, for cheaper than the softcovers. You can buy the volume 1 HC for an incrediblly low $23 at Amazon (softcovers they ask $10 a peice for). Buy it, and get hooked!

42771243785.0.GIF

42771243785.16.GIF

42771243785.18.GIF

42771243785.22.GIF

invincible47.jpg

Read the Transformers comics, comics aren't just about Superheroes you know.

i have a ton of graphic novels i havent read yet i have. ultimate spiderman season 1, infinite gauntlet, the birth of venom, return of the green goblin, and others that i cant think of now but i ave read the first 12 ultimate xmen and loved them. and lately i dont like getting individual comics because i have no comic stores around and i can get this months issue of some comics at my local book store and they have some graphic novels but i dont think they have any transformers graphic novels if they even make those. i guess i could check ebay for transformers comics but do i need to read every comic to understand 1 or could i just buy any graphic novel and understand it pretty well. ive watched the first 10 episodes of g1 on you tube and am waiting for someone to upload the next episode. and ive watched the first 20 or so beast wars episodes so i guess i could understand pretty well

Read the Conan trades from Dark Horse. The newer ones from Kurk Busiek. :up:

They're for mature readers, but I think they'd be okay for a 13-year-old boy.

I couldn't settle down enough to really read a lot of comic books at that age, but I can see myself reading those. Maybe you could give 'em a whirl.

i have a ton of graphic novels i havent read yet i have. ultimate spiderman season 1, infinite gauntlet, the birth of venom, return of the green goblin, and others that i cant think of now but i ave read the first 12 ultimate xmen and loved them. and lately i dont like getting individual comics because i have no comic stores around and i can get this months issue of some comics at my local book store and they have some graphic novels but i dont think they have any transformers graphic novels if they even make those. i guess i could check ebay for transformers comics but do i need to read every comic to understand 1 or could i just buy any graphic novel and understand it pretty well. ive watched the first 10 episodes of g1 on you tube and am waiting for someone to upload the next episode. and ive watched the first 20 or so beast wars episodes so i guess i could understand pretty well

Theres lots of Transformers trades out there. From IDW, Marvel, and old Dreamwave ones. Try Amazon. They got everything.

hi i just wanted to say that i feel like im losing interest in comics. i think its because of transformers and right now im really getting into them instead of superheroes and i even have a fan fic of them. i just dont want to lose interest in comics and i just want to know how to get back into them

I got back into comics by reading ones that don't suck.:o

Theres lots of Transformers trades out there. From IDW, Marvel, and old Dreamwave ones. Try Amazon. They got everything.

DW's T'Formers are a bit off lately, in writing AND in art.

Art: As many tiny details as FREAKING possible on the TFers.

Writing: Cheesy action flick.

Well, there kinda is no lately, seeing as they lost the rights to IDW when the compay folded.

well i think once the school year starts and when im done reading the book eregon for the first time il start reading them at night to help me get to sleep

FYI there's a Transformers / New Avengers crossover running right now that'd probably be right up your alley. It's really pretty good, Megatron's scary as **** in it. Inasmuch as Marvel's involved with the publishing, a TPB should show up in bookstores after its serial run wraps up.

On the general matter of bookstore selection, if there's something in particular that you want that a store doesn't have, most places will be happy to order it for you.

Step 1: You can find your nearest comic store by dialing 1-888-266-422665 This will help you find the nearest comic store in your area!

Step 2: Get a parental unit to drive you to said comic store, oh and bring money, which is used to buy comics or you can try robbing the store but that will take much more skill and planning.

Step 3: Ask Nerdy Comic shop owner what's good?

Step 4: Buy comics and read them

Step 5: Continually go back to said comic store monthly or weekly and blow your money on comics and have no money for anything else!

1. Get some money from ATM (or just use debit/credit)
2. Go to comic shop.
3. Get Ultimates 1 and 2, Dark Tower, Criminal, Iron Fist (Brubaker), Sinestro Corps War (ongoing), and JSA.
4.?????
5. Profit!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"