The Dark Knight Rises How does the Gotham Civil War start? (Comprehensive Analysis)

I've resurrected this thread because I am a geek and found this part of the film fascinating. I figure we can maybe focus our speculations and debates about this particular part of TDKR here.

Okay, when it comes to Bane's occupation of Gotham, there's three main questions that pop up in my mind:

1: How did Bane form a large enough army to take over Gotham, and is it just a faux-Bolshevik uprising or something more sinister?

2: How in the world does Bane keep one of the world's mightiest military forces, a superpower even, from rescuing Gotham the traditional way?

3: Why the heck is there a giant street-fight between the cops and Bane's army at the end if both sides have guns?

The way I see it, these three questions all raise fascinating points about the movies plot, and since we have remained relatively unspoiled on these parts, I'd like to hear your guys judgments on my theories.

1: A lot has been made and speculated that Bane is recruiting and resurrecting the issue of class-warfare in Gotham to employ Catwoman and cause his revolution. Things with foreboding titles like the Harvey Dent Act suggest that the city has taken proactive and perhaps even extreme measures to protect itself and shore up order after the Joker's rampage and Harvey Dent's "sacrifice." Conditions have improved enough that politicians and their like are planning on replacing Commisioner Gordon with the ambitious Foley.

Bane, meanwhile, does not simply walk into Gotham with an entire army but instead his own small guerrilla force. These guys are heavily motivated and fanatically devoted to Bane and his cause, even willing to die just to provide a cover story for Bane's activities. They are obviously extremely dangerous and possibly made up of members of the disgraced League of Shadows. But Bane will need more men if he is to ensure his rule over Gotham.

Cue Bane's propagandizing the gap between the rich and the poor through subtle methods. Catwoman steals from the rich and appears to be allied with Bane, and the ever-popular Robin Hood mythos makes Bane come off as more of a populist hero to the downtrodden, where his only competition *might* be lingering memories of Batman. Bane's attack on the stock exchange can also be seen as a brilliant gambit: he pretends he is striking at the heart of the decadent rich, when he is also agravating whatever recession or depression that is driving the wedge between the Gothamites.

Finally, Bane reveals the truth about Harvey Dent. Such a blow cast doubts on everything the city has done in the name of safety. Bane finds support among the skeletons of Gotham's former Mob empires, men who barely escaped the destruction of their organizations and yearn for the old days when Gotham was their own private cess-pit. Bane even breaks some of the worst of Gotham's criminals out of Blackgate, arming them to join his army. And Bane completes his coup-ed-tat by inflaming the poor to rise up like in Paris and strike back. This is not to say the poor have gone bad; Bane is only using them as his means to an end at this point.

Once Bane has successfully cut off Gotham from the US (see 2), defeated the police and broke Batman, Bane begins to turn on some of his own supporters. It's relatively subtle; Bane mostly just does a Robespierre on the poor and downtrodden, disarming them and keeping them paralysed through a Reign of Terror, and keeps the thugs from the gangs in charge and armed. Those who joined with Bane earlier now see their error and begin to turn back to the cops, led valiantly by Gordon, Foley, and Blake, and the people dream of the day Batman returns.

2: We know that Doctor Pavel is a nuclear physicist smart enough to be wnated by the CIA and Bane's men. Rumors make out Pavel's doomsday device to be something like an earthquake machine or plain old nuke.

The earthquake machine adds a nice bit of Science-Fiction like the microwave emitter. It also hearkens back to the comics' arc No Man's Land, and plays well with the idea of the city crumbling. If the device is capable of affecting a much larger area than Gotham, then Bane may be threatening the rest of America to keep his personal fiefdom intact.

However, a nuke puts an interesting spin on this idea.

If Bane is employing members of the LOS, their willingness to take over a city instead of destroying it comes off as odd and misplaced. And if they do in fact possess a nuke, why don't they just go ahead and detonate it?

Answer: the nuke serves as a deterrent to outside interference while they make an example out of Gotham. Placing a nuclear device on American soil and threatening to detonate it could lead to a Cuban Missile Crisis type of situation: The US blockades and shuts off trade to Gotham in an attempt to starve Bane out. They won't send in their soldiers or ships since the nuke is always on the move, and they believe a siege strategy is the safer approach.

This plays right into Bane's hands. He and his men can in fact slip out of Gotham to visit Bruce or escape a bomb blast if they have to. They are letting the US starve Gotham as a way of inflicting yet more punishment on the "decadent city." They have no intention of keeping Gotham forever, they just want to show the world its greatest city brought to its knees. They will turn the people upon one another, show Gotham's true character by unleashing its barbarous criminals on the innocent, and make a mockery of the justice system by trying and executing any who resist. And then, they will detonate the bomb at the end, to show the world what happens to those the LOS deems corrupt.

The only hope Gotham has is that it can through off Bane itself. And it shall.

3: The reason so few people are shot in the street fight is tied into the US blockade. After three-plus months of fighting and no resupplying from the outside world, bullets become scarce. Owning a fully loaded pistol makes someone a huge threat to their under-armed enemies. Those with unloaded guns maintain their arms as weapons of intimidation and misinformation; if one man in a group of fifty has a fully loaded rifle, the whole group must be treated as incredibly dangerous.

Bane's elite end up being the only ones still packing military grade heat, and any advantage they have with high-ground sniping will probably be neutralized by Batman and Catwoman. So while a few officers fall to bullets in the charge, the second the battle is truly joined, bullet carrying bad guys will be swarmed and disarmed. The cops will probably have a more consistent amount of training and higher overall discipline than Bane's forces, as the LOS will have to struggle with unruly criminals and the like.

This scarcity of arms also means that the few heroes who posses pistols have some importance: Foley is one of the cops' leaders, and his sidearm is loaded to help keep him alive and the police moving forward. Catwoman, a master thieve, probably stole hers and uses it to even the odds against LOS class foes, as she will be teaming with Batman and will need an edge.

So what do you guys think?

Godisawesome, I was wondering about item 2 as well. Daniel Sunjata's character is a Fed, I believe, as is Foley. So the US Govt. has some inkling of what's going on.

If Bruce is being kept in a foreign prison, do you think Bane brings him there before announcing his plans for Gotham? I do, because that would let the government know exactly where Bane is, so any aircraft/ships leaving Gotham would likely be intercepted.

If the Nolans keep to Bane's origins of being imprisoned for his father's crimes, perhaps he comes to Gotham because he sees a city that is in danger of being trapped by the lies of another powerful person--Harvey Dent. That would mean that there was some corruption involved in getting Bane locked up as a kid.

That idea begs another question, though. Why Gotham? Out of all the cities, why Gotham?

I had an idea about Bane's backstory. Perhaps Bane's father was imprisoned or killed by the LOS, and Bane was among those taken prisoner to be brainwashed into the League's way of thinking. Somehow young Bane escapes, then returns later to join the League. He does, suffers the accident necessitating his mask, and uses League laboratories to synthesize his anesthetic. Meanwhile he begins to create a schism within the League. Eventually he and a rogue band from the League break off from the main branch to do their own thing.

A coup d'état is considered successful when the usurpers establish their dominance. When the coup neither fails completely nor succeeds, a civil war is a likely consequence.

Joker was Osama Bin Laden, Bane is going to be Fidel Castro.

Okay, now we've got the blown up picture of Bruce in his dad's robe and the newspaper says something about "G-20 protests" being accompanied by the cops arresting hundreds of people.

Is there any real world meaning to "G-20"?

Is Gordon the one ordering arrests or is it Foley? He might not say "How high?" when asked to jump, but I could see him saying "I'll see what I can do."

This thread is to speculate/theorize only on how exactly Bane goes about taking over the city, how he inspires the citizens of Gotham to join his cause, and his tactics he uses in starting a revolution. What exactly is the core of the political transformation of an entire city?

6317437928_431c601b13_z.jpg

Set photo...

I'm starting to get the idea that I underestimated how war-oriented this film is going to be. I'm interested in not so much seeing the civil war, but how the war is started. This film has to span over months, maybe years in order for the build up for a war to start.

We know Bane uses his doomsday device and he exposes Dent, but what else does he do to shake this city up so drastically? In order for this war to happen, he's going to do something extremely crucial, and I'm dying to see what it is, and how exactly he is able to completely dominate the entire city.

Bane is going to really inspire the citizens in this movie, and I'm dying to see how Nolan does this, considering inspirational figures represent goodness. My only guess is that we will see two different sides to Bane. The side he shows the public (the revolutionary) and the side he shows behind the scenes and how he brings his plan to life (the monster)

And my final question is... how the hell is the army, marines, SWAT, etc not intervening in this? Wouldn't you expect to see the entire army invade a city that has been taken over by a terrorist? If this happened in NYC, Obama would send in troops, not police officers.

This movie in all honesty leaves me having more questions than Inception did before its release... This is going to be a ****ing complex film.

The Civil War board looks like an information board at a historical site. Also if it ends in 2014, that's a whole 2 years before TDKR even begins, assuming that TDK was set in its year of release. In other words, whatever Bane's doing, it aint this. This also gives further meaning to the "[Gordon's] a war hero. This is peace time" line in the 2nd trailer. This civil war happened prior to TDKR, and was probably when Batman worked his way through his gallery of rogues.

Last edited:
Bane has most important hostages and doomsday weapon. Government can't do anything as long as they can't find them.

I think that might give him time to rule Gotham and gets more and more support by propoganda.

But what why would he want to rule Gotham? There must be more logical reason for Bane to do all these. After all this is not one of Marvel movies. :woot:

Bane has most important hostages and doomsday weapon. Government can't do anything as long as they can't find them.

I think that might give him time to rule Gotham and gets more and more support by propoganda.

But what why would he want to rule Gotham? There must be more logical reason for Bane to do all these. After all this is not one of Marvel movies. :woot:

yup. and anti-aircraft/SAM's around the city.

we saw fighter jets flying past the city in one of the TV spots, my guess is those are shot down.

and the bridges are closed, so no military vehicles can enter the city (normally they would be carried in by helicopters/carriers, except those would be shot down by the anti aircraft missiles).

also, i think it was rumored that a huge portion of the gotham police are traped underground (for 3 months?) after they try to infiltrate bane underground.

This thread is awesome. Great posts everyone. Lots to think about.

Exactly my theory. But when I brought it up, someone said...

"The government does not negotiate with terrorists"

If this is the case, what does Bane use against the ENTIRE USA government/army that keeps them out aside from a doomsday device. I'm guessing there's going to be more of these set out across the country.

This may turn into a national crisis, with the focus of the film only being on Gotham. Which explains why the army can't just all be sent to one city.

In No Man's Land, the military cut off Gotham from the rest of the country and abandoned it. Blew out the bridges and claimed it a No Man's Land. It wasn't even considered a part of the United States anymore because of how wrecked, dangerous, and out of control it was because of all the escaped mental patients and convicts.

The Civil War board looks like an information board at a historical site. Also if it ends in 2014, that's a whole 2 years before TDKR even begins, assuming that TDK was set in its year of release. In other words, whatever Bane's doing, it aint this. This also gives further meaning to the "[Gordon's] a war hero. This is peace time" line in the 2nd trailer. This civil war happened prior to TDKR, and was probably when Batman worked his way through his gallery of rogues.

The 2014 date is surely is referring to the how long the exhibit is running at the museum for, right? We're not assuming the movie is going to flash forward to a point in time where the events of TDKR have become a piece of Gotham history, are we? I mean if they did that, it'd be awesome but it doesn't seem to make sense, especially with Bane's propaganda material all over it.

Seems to make more sense if it's a historical fiction type thing that chronicles battles of the American Civil War that took place in Gotham.

The 2014 date is surely is referring to the how long the exhibit is running at the museum for, right? We're not assuming the movie is going to flash forward to a point in time where the events of TDKR have become a piece of Gotham history, are we? I mean if they did that, it'd be awesome but it doesn't seem to make sense, especially with Bane's propaganda material all over it.

Seems to make more sense if it's a historical fiction type thing that chronicles battles of the American Civil War that took place in Gotham.

Even if that is the case, 2014 would still be 2 years before TDKR begins, and I imagine the board would have been taken down before then! How many museums leave up boards advertising exhibitions which ended years before? I'm not saying the movie will fast forward to a time after the events it portrays, I'm saying the civil war and Bane's destruction of the city are two entirely seperate things. The civil war is some event which will undoubtedly impact the characters in the movie, but it is in the past.

Last edited:
Even if that is the case, 2014 would still be 2 years before TDKR begins, and I imagine the board would have been taken down before then! How many museums leave up boards advertising exhibitions which ended years before?

Well if you wanna get technical...

Let's say Begins takes place in 2005.

TDK would then presumably take place in 2006.

8 years later is 2014.

I mean even if you wanted to just put all those technicalities aside, there's still Bane's propaganda to account for. No civil war happened between TDK and TDKR, that I think we can safely rule out.

8 years later is 2014.

I mean even if you wanted to just put all those technicalities aside, there's still Bane's propaganda to account for. No civil war happened between TDK and TDKR, that I think we can safely rule out.

Hmm that's a very good point, I was assuming that TDK took place in the year it was released, but of course it's set shortly after BB. If the Civil War refers to Bane, then we can assume that this is for a scene set sometime after the major events in the movie.

8 years later is 2014.

TDKR takes place in 2012.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=20731629&postcount=82

The License plates on Bruce Wayne's car expire 03-13, so the film presumably takes place the winter before that.

I think the movie series has a sliding timeline like the comics. Begins and TDK both took place in the years they were released as well.

TDKR takes place in 2012.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showpost.php?p=20731629&postcount=82

The License plates on Bruce Wayne's car expire 03-13, so the film presumably takes place the winter before that.

I think the movie series has a sliding timeline like the comics. Begins and TDK both took place in the years they were released as well.

Yeah, I mean sliding timeline is definitely likely too.

...Or Bruce is like me, and always forgets to renew his registration :doh:

EDIT: Wait a minute- that plate might be the answer. The movie could take place in 2013. The exhibit would be running from Oct. 22, 2013 to March 12th, 2014. Realistic timeframe for a special exhibit.

Team 2013!

Last edited:
6317437928_431c601b13_z.jpg

I'd always thought it said October 22, 2010 thru March 12, 2014, but it could very well be 2013.

I'm also interested in how these new posters for Jim Gordon play into the War...
Jim Gordon Fugitive
gordon.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"