The Dark Knight Rises How does the Gotham Civil War start? (Comprehensive Analysis)

Diemtay

Civilian
Reaction score
This thread is to speculate/theorize only on how exactly Bane goes about taking over the city, how he inspires the citizens of Gotham to join his cause, and his tactics he uses in starting a revolution. What exactly is the core of the political transformation of an entire city?

6317437928_431c601b13_z.jpg

Set photo...

I'm starting to get the idea that I underestimated how war-oriented this film is going to be. I'm interested in not so much seeing the civil war, but how the war is started. This film has to span over months, maybe years in order for the build up for a war to start.

We know Bane uses his doomsday device and he exposes Dent, but what else does he do to shake this city up so drastically? In order for this war to happen, he's going to do something extremely crucial, and I'm dying to see what it is, and how exactly he is able to completely dominate the entire city.

Bane is going to really inspire the citizens in this movie, and I'm dying to see how Nolan does this, considering inspirational figures represent goodness. My only guess is that we will see two different sides to Bane. The side he shows the public (the revolutionary) and the side he shows behind the scenes and how he brings his plan to life (the monster)

And my final question is... how the hell is the army, marines, SWAT, etc not intervening in this? Wouldn't you expect to see the entire army invade a city that has been taken over by a terrorist? If this happened in NYC, Obama would send in troops, not police officers.

This movie in all honesty leaves me having more questions than Inception did before its release... This is going to be a ****ing complex film.

Also, lets draw examples from the major inspiration of this film:

tale_of_two_cities_book.jpg

And my final question is... how the hell is the army, marines, SWAT, etc not intervening in this? Wouldn't you expect to see the entire army invade a city that has been taken over by a terrorist? If this happened in NYC, Obama would send in troops, not police officers.

If Bane demonstrates his doomsday device on a section of Gotham, and warns he'll use it again if anybody comes closer, they'd stay out.

If Bane demonstrates his doomsday device on a section of Gotham, and warns he'll use it again if anybody comes closer, they'd stay out.
Exactly my theory. But when I brought it up, someone said...

"The government does not negotiate with terrorists"

If this is the case, what does Bane use against the ENTIRE USA government/army that keeps them out aside from a doomsday device. I'm guessing there's going to be more of these set out across the country.

This may turn into a national crisis, with the focus of the film only being on Gotham. Which explains why the army can't just all be sent to one city.

In the real world, this behavior from Bane wouldn't be tolerated. A team of SEALs would have a hole in his head quicker than... Something quick. ;)

But, its a good way to explain why the government doesn't step in. It establishes Gotham as an island.

The reality is Dent's sacrifice only led to a superficial aura of tranquility. The truth of what is at Gotham's heart is more complicated than something that could be resolved by Dent's quick stint of bravery.

We know there is a divide between the elite and the common people. This is what is true with or without Bane. Bane steps in and exploits this unfortunate truth to further his political goal, the fire. Any claim as to what the fire entails is beyond anybody's guess and purely speculative.

If Bane has taken over the League he could feasibly have operatives spread across the country with similar devices to bring the US to a standstill of sorts.

Its possible that Bane sent agents into Gotham to get an idea of the populace's feelings toward the Harvey Dent Act and to begin stirring the pot before he arrived.

I had the same question about the government's involvement to be honest.

This thread is to speculate/theorize only on how exactly Bane goes about taking over the city, how he inspires the citizens of Gotham to join his cause, and his tactics he uses in starting a revolution. What exactly is the core of the political transformation of an entire city?

6317437928_431c601b13_z.jpg

Set photo...

I'm starting to get the idea that I underestimated how war-oriented this film is going to be. I'm interested in not so much seeing the civil war, but how the war is started. This film has to span over months, maybe years in order for the build up for a war to start.

We know Bane uses his doomsday device and he exposes Dent, but what else does he do to shake this city up so drastically? In order for this war to happen, he's going to do something extremely crucial, and I'm dying to see what it is, and how exactly he is able to completely dominate the entire city.

Bane is going to really inspire the citizens in this movie, and I'm dying to see how Nolan does this, considering inspirational figures represent goodness. My only guess is that we will see two different sides to Bane. The side he shows the public (the revolutionary) and the side he shows behind the scenes and how he brings his plan to life (the monster)

This movie in all honesty leaves me having more questions than Inception did before its release... This is going to be a ****ing complex film.

Also, lets draw examples from the major inspiration of this film:

Does anyone know what the full dates are at the bottom of that pic? That could tell us how long the civil war lasted.

I wonder if there will be public executions like the French Revolution...

Maybe he inspire people because he's a genuinely brave, determined man who fights his own battles. Bane isn't evil or insane, Hell, even in Knightfall I couldn't help but admire his plan.

Bane doesn't lie, he doesn't send other people to fight for him, I think that kind of leadership would be quite popular amongst some sections of society.

Maybe he inspire people because he's a genuinely brave, determined man who fights his own battles. Bane isn't evil or insane, Hell, even in Knightfall I couldn't help but admire his plan.

Bane doesn't lie, he doesn't send other people to fight for him, I think that kind of leadership would be quite popular amongst some sections of society.

That goes against the character Nolan wants to create though. We know from interviews that Bane will be a ruthless, monstrous terrorist who shows no mercy. He's not someone who we'll admire, he may not be "evil" but he'll be the closest thing to it.

In order for him to succeed at being a revolutionary, and to also be a terrorist monster, he's going to need to be two-faced and manipulative. My bet is he'll lie.. a lot. I mean, he pretends to be a liberator for Gotham.. then in the end he turns it into a hellish war-zone and threatens to destroy the city with his device. This guy is a beast.

But that photo just shows a battle from the real civil war in an exhibition set in 2014 when the movie takes place.
- Buzz Killington

But that photo just shows a battle from the real civil war in an exhibition set in 2014 when the movie takes place.
- Buzz Killington
Well the thread isn't about that picture specifically. The citizens (or Bane's men) place various propaganda posters across the city that are based on revolutions, war, greed, corruption, etc. It just indicates the war-like nature of the story. It's that war element (which we know will happen) that I'm interested in.

Ah okay :)

Well then, I got really excited when I saw the walls made up of cars. Wonder how big that wall will be, then cant possibly put it up aorung the entire city? Maybe just around on the three islands Gotham stands on.

Ah okay :)

Well then, I got really excited when I saw the walls made up of cars. Wonder how big that wall will be, then cant possibly put it up aorung the entire city? Maybe just around on the three islands Gotham stands on.
Woah, what picture is that? I haven't seen it. You have a link?

Woah, what picture is that? I haven't seen it. You have a link?
I think it was from the LA set pics... *takes weapons and some food and travels to the picture thread* I'll be right back.. :indy:

*Time passes...*

Ah here we go!
6482dac7ec654f58a3cb185ed9fbc9e7_7.jpg

2ce13a74e95d4db685b3df6ea6312dd8_7.jpg

tunnelu.jpg

ZBJOi.jpg

9JIzf.jpg

5R6EW.jpg

It really makes you wonder just why these are put up? And how? I mean, Bane has to have access to some mighty machines to pull this of if its not just slave labour, but that would take alot of time.

I wonder if there will be public executions like the French Revolution...

According to some rumors Scarecrow will be a judge and he will execute some people and others will be exiled.

@Diemtay: I think Bane could carry out some public execution of a mob figure or whoever filled the void left by Joker after TDK. That would sympathize him to the citizens--some of them anyway. It'd make his spread of propaganda a bit easier.

I think there will have some execution, to create terror.

I personally think it would be cool, if not a bit weird to for this film, if the execution would be partly carried out by Crane himself, in his Scarecrow mask. Crane would use his fear toxin on the defendant, just before he gets executed. The victim's greatest fear would be flashing before his eyes, just before the executioner kills him. It would be a very painful, torturous death - not a clean death at all.

Last edited:
It really makes you wonder just why these are put up? And how? I mean, Bane has to have access to some mighty machines to pull this of if its not just slave labour, but that would take alot of time.

If Bane can get access to multiple Tumblers, I'm sure he should be able to have access to some mighty machines.

That goes against the character Nolan wants to create though. We know from interviews that Bane will be a ruthless, monstrous terrorist who shows no mercy. He's not someone who we'll admire, he may not be "evil" but he'll be the closest thing to it.

In order for him to succeed at being a revolutionary, and to also be a terrorist monster, he's going to need to be two-faced and manipulative. My bet is he'll lie.. a lot. I mean, he pretends to be a liberator for Gotham.. then in the end he turns it into a hellish war-zone and threatens to destroy the city with his device. This guy is a beast.

I would like there to be a little ambiguity though, in the comics he is quite an admirable figure. A self-made man with the sheer confidence and audacity to actually beat Batman on his home turf.

Given glimpses of Hardy so far, the almost bored way he studies Batman, the way he glares at his interrogator even with his hood on (Look at the scene, he never blinks, he couldn't see anything yet is instantly looking into this guys eyes.) and even the speech he gives about 'the instrument of your liberation'.

Let me put it like this, I would like people to come away wondering if Bane was an evil tyrant or a flawed hero. I guess it's clear how I personally view the character, and so far I'm really happy how he's being handled.

I don't think he wants to destroy the city though, that was Ras Al Ghul's dream and Bane is his own man, not a pawn. I think he wants a dog-eat-dog social structure, something of a social Darwinist perhaps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"