HOw much danger was New York Actually in during Spidey 2

November Rain

Single Mother
Reaction score
I've just thought about it and I saw that Otto actually took out the supports of the experiment itself.

But if you notice, the whole building collapses anywho which would have eventually lead to the device still flooding itself.

It's not like octavius took out a major support for the harbour that caused the whole building to then go under, it was going under anyway.

So my question is firstly was New York in any real danger of being destroyed and secondly, did Octavius actually have to sacrifice himself to the cause?

Anythoughts would be welcome

Since cars and stuff started to be sucked towards it from the get-go, I'm guessing that by the time it did eventually go under by itself, alot of damage would have been done to New York.

It eventually would have engulfed the city. It was supposed to be a controllable renewable and exponential source of energy, but Otto's calculations were flawed. It kept getting bigger and wouldn't stop. It only stopped the first time because Spider-Man pulled the plug before it got too big and gained it's own "life".

As to the second question, He had to pull it down and drown it. The power of the sun takes a long time to drown. Plus, he had nothing to live for anyway. He had no wife and had become a villian.

It eventually would have engulfed the city. It was supposed to be a controllable renewable and exponential source of energy, but Otto's calculations were flawed. It kept getting bigger and wouldn't stop. It only stopped the first time because Spider-Man pulled the plug before it got too big and gained it's own "life".

To add to that, it would have eventually engulfed all of New York State if left to continue.

The strength of whatever was pulling metal objects towards the "sun" was enough to pull cars that appeared to be miles away, yet apparently it wasn't by that time strong enough to pull apart the supports of the building.

Surely it makes more sense that the closer building would be the first to go, then the far away cars.

I think the cars weren't 'miles' away but near the waterfront where that building was

The strength of whatever was pulling metal objects towards the "sun" was enough to pull cars that appeared to be miles away, yet apparently it wasn't by that time strong enough to pull apart the supports of the building.

Surely it makes more sense that the closer building would be the first to go, then the far away cars.

Just why would you think they were miles away? I assumed along with most that they were outside. You can spit two feet in any direction in NY and hit a car.

The amount of trinium he had was relative to the power of the thing. It's safe to assume that had he had enough, a lot of matter could have been sucked into it.

As to the second question, He had to pull it down and drown it. The power of the sun takes a long time to drown. Plus, he had nothing to live for anyway. He had no wife and had become a villian.
you miss my point that it ultimately would have drowned because of its location JUST above water which it was used to drown stuff...

once it had engulfed the remains of the tower by growing, it would have been forced to drown itself.

I think the cars weren't 'miles' away but near the waterfront where that building was

How far away the cars were is irrelevant. The fact is, even though the experiment was drawing in the cars, the building should have buckled and been destroyed a lot faster than it did....and Odin is right, with what was actually happening, Ock didn't need to sacrifice himself but then again, this is the sort of illogical thing one expects when dealing with shoddy writing and a lack of overall intelligence of all those involved. It's almost even funny when you consider Raimi's lame reasons for getting rid of the mechs. I just hope this new writer actually has some sort of moderate intelligence dented into his brain.

C'mon dudes, let's be real....

Ock started the experiment on a water dock and his breaking of the frame had no bearing on the foundations of the building it would have eventually eaten up and it would have drowned on its own accord.

It was never going to get big enough to consume the city.

Perhaps if it started to cause wild sparks like the smaller one did but this larger one didn't and it was somewhat contained in its size and didn't grow over its whole time it was operational.

Ock started the experiment on a water dock and his breaking of the frame had no bearing on the foundations of the building it would have eventually eaten up and it would have drowned on its own accord.

Yeah, eventually. But, how much damage and how many people would have been killed in that space of time waiting for it to self destruct? It already started sucking cars and stuff towards it from the get-go.

Plus, while it eventually would have destroyed the building the only reason it was falling apart so quickly at the end was that Ock took down the foundations.

ock only messed with the foundations of the actual stand and nothing to do with the building foundations...

infact was it sinking before ock even touched it?

u know i was totally watching this movie last night and dont know y i didnt notice this before, but doesnt it seem weird that spider-man doesnt even bother to go back and try to save doc ock after he drowned the sun, by the time octavius is going to the bottom peter already has his web of love spun out for mj haha,

it seemed like peter would have cared to at least go back and see what he could do after he got mj to safety. i dont know, just stood out to me.

No, it most certainly wasn't. It had not budged an inch.
ALright fair enough but it was only an amount of time before it got large enough to touch the water and drowned itself....

nobody died, and it was in no danger of causing a major explosion since the electrics were cut off...

u know i was totally watching this movie last night and dont know y i didnt notice this before, but doesnt it seem weird that spider-man doesnt even bother to go back and try to save doc ock after he drowned the sun, by the time octavius is going to the bottom peter already has his web of love spun out for mj haha,

it seemed like peter would have cared to at least go back and see what he could do after he got mj to safety. i dont know, just stood out to me.

Ock was already dead before the warehouse had even fully submerged into the water. What would be the point in Spidey needlessly risking his life on a fruitless quest?

Ock made his choice. Why do you think Ock paused and he and Spidey gave eachother that last serious glance before he went down to destroy the reactor? They knew he wasn't going to survive it.

ALright fair enough but it was only an amount of time before it got large enough to touch the water and drowned itself....

nobody died

And in that amount of time it would have taken to self destruct, alot of damage would have been done, and alot of people would have been killed. We don't even know if anyone was killed when all those cars and stuff started to be sucked towards it right from the get-go.

Just because we didn't see it doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Ock was already dead before the warehouse had even fully submerged into the water. What would be the point in Spidey needlessly risking his life on a fruitless quest?

Ock made his choice. Why do you think Ock paused and he and Spidey gave eachother that last serious glance before he went down to destroy the reactor? They knew he wasn't going to survive it.

hey it just seemed like it happened so fast, and that peter didnt seem bothered by his "idol" dying at all, i mean i looked at that last glance like yea he probably is going to die, but i dont know, it just stood out to me

hey it just seemed like it happened so fast, and that peter didnt seem bothered by his "idol" dying at all, i mean i looked at that last glance like yea he probably is going to die, but i dont know, it just stood out to me

The city was in peril. There was no time for long goodbyes.

Peter already had his moment with Octavius, where he made him see the error of his ways, repeating what Aunt May had said to him, reflecting how both Peter and Otto's conflict were so similar.

The city was in peril. There was no time for long goodbyes.

Peter already had his moment with Octavius, where he made him see the error of his ways, repeating what Aunt May had said to him, reflecting how both Peter and Otto's conflict were so similar.

yea i got that, but i just watched it again, and i thought it was weird that pete already had the web spun out for mj and was crawling to her by the time that thing had just went down under

the subtext in that last scene with doc ock and spidey seemed a little subtle in some places so i guess thats y i thought it was weird that pete didnt go back to try and save him

Peter did say "along with half of New York" when I went to help MJ, so I guess that means a lot.

Pete said alot of things in that film...

perhaps it was a hyperbole in order to get harry to snap out of his rage and give him the information, even though he had no idea....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"