How They Shoulda Done Silver Surfer

TripleF said:
Unfortunately we don't know that this is how it has been written. Sounds good, but if it doesn't come off that way, then the rest of your scenario will be pretty weak.

I don't see any reason not to assume it's going to go that way. That's the way it was in the comics. The synopsis seems to describe it that way. The fact that the brass seem to clearly want to make a stand alone Silver Surfer movie all seem to point to this route.

Sure, they might screw it up, but we don't have any evidence that they're going to royally screw it up . . .

. . . yet.

True, it just seems that doing in that way, and actually I think they will, makes this more of a set up for the SS rather than a sequel for the FF.

K.B. said:
I brought up the avengers thing because someone mentioned how important the silver surfer was to the f.f. mythos and how he helped build it etc. Well those charecters all were avengers but you dont need to bring that up if you were to make a movie about them or even one about the avengers for that matter. (look at the fact that they are making films about hawkeye, ant man ,tigra etc..without making any avengers flicks first gasp!) And just cuz someone has seen a bk commerciel dosent mean they remember the movie its tied into. Yes WE know what the f.f. are and all but "joe avereage" dosent. This movie made about as much impact as daredvil,or elektra or the punisher..ie: number one or 2 at the box officer opening week but then sinks like a brick the next.
You guys seem to be the fans that keep wanting to see the hulk show up in a spider man movie and similer garbage that WOULDNT work in a film.
I'm all for keeping things faithful to the sorce materieal but there are times when it is ok to diverge and maybe do things a little different. There are points to this story that would be better suited to explore properly in its own film instead of trying to rush it to fit an hour and 30 mins.

No, DON'T close this thread - there are far too many interesting issues to discuss here.

1. KB, you apparerntly have a treatment for the Surfer that does not involve the FF. That's great, that's fine. Like I said earlier, I thought Marvel was going to do a film centered on the Surfer originally. I'm not particularly a fan of the Surfer as a stand-alone character. I AM an FF fan, but more importantly, a MARVEL fan - someone who remembers when Lee, Kirby, Ditko, Heck and others began the creation of the Marvel Universe (I am not ignoring the Timely and Atlas phases that came before). This universe has grown over the years as new contributors leave their "embroidery" on the characters. The characters of the past have been connected to the characters of the future. The relationships and characterizations grow more complex as each writer or illustrator adds another bit of detail.

Marvel is more than its comicbooks and characters - it is a philosophy of doing things a bit differently, adding an element of fun, and creating a sort of "club" where you feel like a part of it. Stan Lee was the key to fostering that sort of philosophyand promoting it. He has claimed before that if he was allowed to do more promotion, Marvel could have been another Disney. I think he was right, and that they are now pursuing that course.

2. Marvel IS agressively pursuing the use of its characters outside of comics. Now, I didn't know a Hawkeye or Tigra film was in the works, but whatever. As they state on their corporate site, Marvel has 1,000's of characters to use in whatever medium they choose. They would be irresponsible to their investors not to try to recreate the idea of THE MARVEL UNIVERSE in the mass consciousness, rather than just bringing individual films or projects to the screen.

3. The "average Joe" of today IS much more aware of the FF and other Marvel characters than the "average Joe" of ten years ago. A mythology takes time to permeate the mass consciousness. Superman and Batman have been in the media continuously since the late 1930's. The current crop of Marvel characters only since the early 60's or so. People may not be rabid fans of the characters, but once you see them cropping up in game show questions, popular literature, crossword puzzles and commercials, it is clear that the mainstream has some awareness of the characters.

Hell, my mother is 80, and she knows who Captain America, the Human Torch and Submariner are because she remembers them from when she was a kid. During WWII, Cap was a hugely popular character. According to Marvel-Five Fabulous Decades of the World's Greatest Comics, the per issue circulation of Captain America Comics was greater than the per issue circulation of Time Magazine in the 1940's.

4. Having characters show up in each others comics was a KEY part of the Marvel philosophy AND their marketing approach. There is no reason to believe that it would not work in other media. Didn't Donald Duck start appearing in Mickey Mouse films? I strongly disagree with your claim about such "similer (sic) garbage that WOULDNT work in a film".

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Yes Donald and Mickey can be in the same film because they are OWNED by the same company. This is not so with Marvel Charecters. yes they are OWNED by Marvel comics but have been LICESNSED out to other companys. So while say....fantastic Four is "owned" by 20th centuy fox and Spider-man by Sony, you will NEVER have them cross over in a film. You will not see Reed help Spidey out with Venom in the new flick.
DC being owned out right by Warner Bros means that they CAN however have inter-company crossovers. Thats why one day you will see Superman/Batman or even a JLA movie.

Regardless, Your argument of Hulk being in Spider-man cannot be the same as SS in FF4.

It's out of whack buddy. :)

K.B. said:
Yes Donald and Mickey can be in the same film because they are OWNED by the same company. This is not so with Marvel Charecters. yes they are OWNED by Marvel comics but have been LICESNSED out to other companys. So while say....fantastic Four is "owned" by 20th centuy fox and Spider-man by Sony, you will NEVER have them cross over in a film. You will not see Reed help Spidey out with Venom in the new flick.
DC being owned out right by Warner Bros means that they CAN however have inter-company crossovers. Thats why one day you will see Superman/Batman or even a JLA movie.

I'm well aware of the licensing issues - I took your post to mean that crossovers wouldn't work in films, period. The rights to Marvel characters are most likely not licensed out in perpetuity, and I would expect crossovers and cameos to occur more frequently as these revert back to Marvel control.

Can we at least change the title of the thread then, I agree the discussion in some cases has been very interesting. But, could we change the word "shouda" which isn't a word #1, and we don't know how Silver Surfer should have been done, because we have yet to see how he has been done in this movie. So maybe, "How I think the SS should be done..." ??? anyone???

TripleF said:
Can we at least change the title of the thread then, I agree the discussion in some cases has been very interesting. But, could we change the word "shouda" which isn't a word #1, and we don't know how Silver Surfer should have been done, because we have yet to see how he has been done in this movie. So maybe, "How I think the SS should be done..." ??? anyone???

To be honest the whole thread was a pointless discussion because anyone who knows anythin about comics knows that surfer appeared in ff first. And yes you may not want it this way but thats what the movie studio wants and there's nothing you can do about it!

Me personally i'm going to resume my excitement for this picture!!

Casius--J said:
To be honest the whole thread was a pointless discussion because anyone who knows anythin about comics knows that surfer appeared in ff first. And yes you may not want it this way but thats what the movie studio wants and there's nothing you can do about it!

Me personally i'm going to resume my excitement for this picture!!

Me? I don't really have an opinion either way. I just thought that in the later posts, the discussion was quite interesting.

I think a fault of this forum is to go on the assumption that "anyone who knows anything about comics knows that surfer appeared in FF first." Thats an assumption that is made far to often, in my opinion, and I find discussions of that nature quite interesting.

TripleF said:
I think a fault of this forum is to go on the assumption that "anyone who knows anything about comics knows that surfer appeared in FF first." Thats an assumption that is made far to often, in my opinion, and I find discussions of that nature quite interesting.
Agreed. Even knowledgeable comics enthusiasts have blind spots. I'd pit my FF/Marvel trivial IQ against most anybody's, but somehow I was unaware that Jack Kirby, creator of the Surfer, had absolutely nothing to do with his origin (the whole Norrin Radd/Zenn-La/Shalla Bal/I'll-be-your herald-please-don't-eat-my-planet thing) and I certainly didn't know that now-familiar origin enraged Kirby at the time, and was reportedly one of the major complaints that led to his exit from Marvel.
Jack had drawn so many of the Surfer's FF appearances and so much time has passed that in my head I just credited him with the origin. Weird.
So yeah, I was surprised to learn that the Surfer's creator envisioned SS as a being of pure energy created by Galactus.

And I'm with you on changing the name of the thread, but that takes an act of Congress around here. How about we just start another thread with a more appropriate title? Suggestions?

Malus said:
Agreed. Even knowledgeable comics enthusiasts have blind spots. I'd pit my FF/Marvel trivial IQ against most anybody's, but somehow I was unaware that Jack Kirby, creator of the Surfer, had absolutely nothing to do with his origin (the whole Norrin Radd/Zenn-La/Shalla Bal/I'll-be-your herald-please-don't-eat-my-planet thing) and I certainly didn't know that now-familiar origin enraged Kirby at the time, and was reportedly one of the major complaints that led to his exit from Marvel.
Jack had drawn so many of the Surfer's FF appearances and so much time has passed that in my head I just credited him with the origin. Weird.
So yeah, I was surprised to learn that the Surfer's creator envisioned SS as a being of pure energy created by Galactus.

And I'm with you on changing the name of the thread, but that takes an act of Congress around here. How about we just start another thread with a more appropriate title? Suggestions?

That sounds awesome. Even though I live with someone that has become quite the FF historian, mainly because she's a freak and reads constantly. *ducks* I've found those types of discussions very interesting and enjoyable.

TripleF said:
Me? I don't really have an opinion either way. I just thought that in the later posts, the discussion was quite interesting.

sorry i wasnt talking to u at that moment i was refering to the topic starter.

TripleF said:

Amazing. I nearly closed my last post with the same request, right down to the "How Should The Silver Surfer Be Done?". Great minds think alike.

gerbstat said:
Amazing. I nearly closed my last post with the same request, right down to the "How Should The Silver Surfer Be Done?". Great minds think alike.

I just started my "FF Cover Countdown To June 15th" thread, which could certainly include any stray comic-related discussions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"