Infinity War How will heroes returning in Avengers 4 be advertised in trailers, posters, etc?

ultradog

Civilian
Reaction score
Most of us know that Spider-Man, Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Star-Lord, Groot, etc. will be back at some point in the sequel. How do you suppose Marvel will handle the advertising of A4 in light of this?

It's a bit of a dilemma. Show too much of them, and it diminishes the emotional effect and overall importance of IW. Show too little, and they lose out on the mass appeal of these major draws for the general audience who may not be as aware of what is to come.

Perhaps just minor flashes of a few of them in the final trailer? Will they be on the posters? Hmmmm???

Wouldn't showing them at all spoil their return?

I guess for the small part of the fan base who only saw the movie and has no meta knowledge of the business. For most, and all of those making the repeated views which gets the billion dollars, it is how they will be brought back, not if they will be, that is the draw.

Wouldn't showing them at all spoil their return?

Yes it will, exactly. But, won't not showing them at all, leave millions of dollars on the table? Like those of parents who took their kids home crying after IW, and others who just choose a movie based on the trailers? They might show up after opening weekend when the spoilers are out, but opening weekend is very important. That's why I called it a dilemma.

Yeah I just don't see Marvel putting their return in the trailers.

if they can keep it a secret they should...

if you show them in the trailer show old clips only... just to remind people of their involvement in the first part, an hype up the "will they or wont they return" angle

Money men won't give a **** keeping spoilers.
Sony will plaster Spider-Man all over the ad campaign.
Let's be realistic here, the mystery of Avengers 4 is not a matter of 'will' the heroes return and more a matter of 'how' they return.

Imagine the mess if Sony reveals something HUGE in the marketing campaign for Homecoming 2 :funny:.

they have no problem selling the movie with the original avengers the marketing will be fine even though I know they will be coming back I don't want to see any of the dusted in the trailers

Pending The Wasp not getting snaptured, I would suppose the hope is for her and Captain Marvel to be the two new stars to promote

Imagine the mess if Sony reveals something HUGE in the marketing campaign for Homecoming 2 :funny:.

Yep a Spider-Man sequel coming out just 2 months after A4 certainly adds a wrinkle. I'm sure Disney will have to give approval on the Spider-Man trailers. Just the fact that there will be Spider-Man trailers before IW is problematic.

Of course, I have confidence that Marvel will handle things very well, I'm just wondering how that situation will develop, it's very interesting to me.

The Russos said they are holding back the Title to the 4th one because it's kind of Spoiler-y. They said they are waiting until the Infinity War hype slows down & it's been open everywhere for a a while.

So they are doing pretty well so far keeping things quiet. I mean, it's VERY early tho. How did the news that Spiderman was going to be in civil War get out? Was it made officially 1st or leaked 1st? I know he was in one of the later Trailers, but I doubt that was the 1st time people found out about it. I mean, that was a BIG thing. I just can't remember how long it was kept quiet.

But I still can't wrap my head around the fact that so many people are thinking that they permanently killed off all those characters. I know, I know...most movie goers do not read comics. But COME ON. I saw it 1st hand with my pizza lady. I mentioned how I was going to see it & she said she was thinking about going as well. The next week I saw her I asked if she saw it yet & she got all mad!

"HOW COULD THEY DO THAT!? HOW COULD THEY KILL OFF SO MANY OF THE HEROS LIKE IT WAS NOTHING?!"
I just told her not to worry. Most have sequels to their movies coming out after the next Avengers movie so it will all work out. haha.

Well, if that leaked concept art is anything to go by, they'll have enough characters to market the film as is with Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Widow, Hawkeye, Ant-Man, War Machine, Rocket, Nebula, Captain Marvel, and Thanos. No need to spoil any characters coming back if not necessary.

Well, if that leaked concept art is anything to go by, they'll have enough characters to market the film as is with Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Thor, Widow, Hawkeye, Ant-Man, War Machine, Rocket, Nebula, Captain Marvel, and Thanos. No need to spoil any characters coming back if not necessary.

I have no doubt that Avengers 4 will make a killing and pass 2 billion dollars again, even if they keep the dusted heroes a total secret.

But some fans are just Black Panther fans. Some are just Spider-Man fans. Some are even just Guardians fans. Will they risk losing many of those specific fans on opening weekend, by not even mentioning any of the dusted characters, keeping their names off the posters, etc? It may be a small percentage of fans they lose, I'll just throw an arbitrary 10% number out there - but any percentage needs to be weighed and considered.

So they are doing pretty well so far keeping things quiet. I mean, it's VERY early tho. How did the news that Spiderman was going to be in civil War get out? Was it made officially 1st or leaked 1st? I know he was in one of the later Trailers, but I doubt that was the 1st time people found out about it. I mean, that was a BIG thing. I just can't remember how long it was kept quiet.

When they announced that Spider-Man was going to be part of MCU they announced that he would have movie in July 2017 and he would first appear in an another MCU movie before that. So the options were Age of Ultron (not really, as that movie was made before the deal), Ant-Man, Civil War, Doctor Strange and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2. Out of those, it was pretty obvious that he would be in Civil War. Feige wouldn't confirm it before that trailer, but everybody knew it.

I have no doubt that Avengers 4 will make a killing and pass 2 billion dollars again, even if they keep the dusted heroes a total secret.

But some fans are just Black Panther fans. Some are just Spider-Man fans. Some are even just Guardians fans. Will they risk losing many of those specific fans on opening weekend, by not even mentioning any of the dusted characters, keeping their names off the posters, etc? It may be a small percentage of fans they lose, I'll just throw an arbitrary 10% number out there - but any percentage needs to be weighed and considered.

I mean by that logic, why do they ever have solo films? Why don't they consistently have group films to avoid losing hypothetical money? Why weren't the Guardians in every film so that said film can make as much money as possible?

The answer is narrative purposes. (As well as contracts, but those can be extended).

one of the casting calls was looking for "Mourners" I would love it if in one of the trailers they show a glimpse of a superhero funeral & have the OG Avengers talking about how they are going to Avenger the fallen Avengers. Just to remind everyone that, yup...your favorites are still dead.
But I'm a jerk. So...

I mean by that logic, why do they ever have solo films? Why don't they consistently have group films to avoid losing hypothetical money? Why weren't the Guardians in every film so that said film can make as much money as possible?

The answer is narrative purposes. (As well as contracts, but those can be extended).

Doing a solo film is one thing. Doing an ensemble film with every superhero, at a greatly increased expense, and choosing to hide the presence of 5 or more of your most popular assets, is a totally different animal. I'm not arguing one way or the other which way they will go, I'm just curious to watch it unfold.

If their part in the movie is minimal then I don't see why they should be advertised at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"