How would you rank the Marvel villains, from best to worst?

Captain Marvel

SHAZAM!
Reaction score
I'm talking about the primary antagonists, here. Whiplash, Kilmonger, and Hela, versus Justin Hammer, Klaue, and Surtur. Who in your view is the best, and who are the worst? Here's the list I came up with:

1. Thanos
  2. Kilmonger
  3. Loki
  4. The Vulture
  5. Zemo
  6. Alexander Pierce
  7. Hela
  8. Ego, the Living Planet
  9. Yellowjacket
  10. The Iron Monger
  11. Ultron
  12. The Red Skull
  13. The Abomination
  14. Kaicilius
  15. Ronan the Accuser
  16. Whiplash
  17. Aldrich Killian
  18. Malekith

I basically put them in three categories. The first were those villains who had the best characterization and the best motivation. That grouping would include Thanos, Kilmonger, Loki, the Vulture, and Zemo. They were either fully committed to their cause and believed themselves to be in the right, or, like Loki, were driven by internal demons which made sense (Loki's feelings of alienation from his family, in spite of their love for him).

The second category was made up of those villains whose motivations were maybe not as strong or a little bit suspect, but who had excellent portrayals otherwise. That category included Alexander Pierce (I still find it a little suspect that he was a member of Hydra), Hela, Ego (Whose plan was also a bit iffy), Yellowjacket, the Iron Monger, Ultron, the Red Skull, and the Abomination (He basically wanted a Fountain of Youth).

The final category is made up of the worst-of-the-worst. The characters whose motivations are often ridiculous or nonsensical, and whose portrayal is pathetic, disappointing, or entirely non-existent. That category includes Kaicilius (Who seems to have the vague notion of interesting motivations, but has no real characterization to speak of. All he is is a walking special effects battle), Ronan the Accuser (Why's he so angry over a peace treaty, again, and going to such crazy lengths against Xandar but not the traditional Kree enemies, the Skrulls? And why does his monologuing get so absurdly terrible when he arrives on Xandar?), Whiplash (The man wants his bird), Aldrich Killian (He was once stood up by Tony Stark, so naturally he became a super-villain), and the worst of the worst, Malekith, who I consider to be the worst villain of the MCU (What a colossal waste of Christopher Eccleston).

So what would be your order?

I feel like i did this already in another thread, so instead I'm going to do least to most evil.

LEAST EVIL (best)
Zemo - Saw The Avengers as a threat to innocents, disassembled them with minimal civilian casualties.
Loki - teeters between good and evil, continually threatens universal stability and then restores it. Borderline anti-hero. Mischievous af
Killmonger - Rightfully challenged T'challa to the throne and "won" fairly. Did despicable things to achieve such.
Whiplash - Saw Iron Man as more of a threat than a savior, wanted to discredit him by defeating him. Also jealous revenge. killed minimal innocents.
Aldrich Killian - Overzealous scientist and capitalist. Mentally unstable and murderous.
Ultron - poorly programmed to protect mankind by destroying it. Not really his fault. He's a robot.
Ego, the Living Planet - Found his calling through assimilation of all life-bearing planets. Not really his fault. We also consume lesser lifeforms.
Kaecilius - Misplaced loyalty to an evil demon demigod.
The Vulture - Illegally sold dangerous weaponry out of misplaced self-righteousness against the upper-class
Thanos - Tried to murder trillions (more?) to save the rest.
Malekith - Tried to usher in universal darkness (heat death?) so his people could flourish. (i guess?)
The Abomination - Addicted to power, murdered and mutinied to get it and use it.
Hela - Rightful ruler of asgard after Odin's death, murdered many to usurp throne.
The Iron Monger - Attempted to murder his best friend's son for money and corporate takeover.
Yellowjacket - Profiteered and colluded with HYDRA for personal gain.
Alexander Pierce - Tried to commit murder of millions for world security.
The Red Skull - Desired world domination for potential/supposed betterment of mankind.
Ronan the Accuser - Tried to commit genocide upon a planet for revenge.
MOST EVIL (worst)

Last edited:
Having seen Infinity War twice, I have to say I find Thanos a bit dull. They've tried so hard to make him rational and talk calmly and not a ranting megalomaniac, they've ended up with a guy who is threatening but not intresting.

Loki is so much better.

1. Killmonger
2. Loki
3. Thanos
4. Vulture
5. Hela

I'm not even crazy about Hela, but I wanted to round out the top five. The rest are pretty disposable. Yes, even Zemo.

Uh...

1. Killmonger
2. Thanos
3. Vulture
4. Loki
5. Ego

Oh I did forget about Ego. Yeah, he is a good one!

1 Thanos
2 Klau (he made a ton of money at it, mostly off screen, but still, he was a villain, just a broken one.
3 Arnim Zola... face it, he rebuilt HYDRA inside SHIELD
4 Killmonger
5 Hela/Surtur (tie in my book)
6 Zemo, a normal guy played the Avengers
7 Crossbones, he played Cap, right by his side until he revealed his skunk stripes.
8 Pearce, for sheer bravado at the try he made under Fury's nose the whole time.
9. Loki, for he does good only for mischief or self-promotion.
10. Ultron, for his heads are still out there, waiting to form UltronIV or V, or whatever.

and at the bottom? The dude in IM3 who said his bosses were really weird. No loyalty. He's the worst.

Out of the main ones:

1. Thanos
2. Killmonger
3. Loki
4. Ultron
5. Hela
6. Ego
7. Vulture
8. Red Skull
9. Alexander Pierce
10. Iron Monger
11. Zemo
12. Ronan
13. Kaecilius
14. Abomination
15. Yellowjacket
16. Aldrich Killian
17. Whiplash
18. Malekith

If we included secondary villains, guys like Klaue and Ebony Maw may have cracked the top 10.

1. Killmonger.
2. Loki.
3. Thanos.
4. Vulture.
5. Ego.
6. Alexander Pierce.
7. Hela.
8. Ultron.
9. Iron Monger.
10. Zemo.
11. Red Skull.
12. Abomination.
13. Ronan.
14. Yellowjacket.
15. Aldrich Killian.
16. Whiplash.
17. Kaecilius.
18. Malekith.

1. Thanos: One movie was enough to make him the most believable, charismatic, relatable and menacing antagonist in the whole MCU.
  2. Loki: Loki is one charismatic mother******. He had his motivations and didn't give up even if he was defeated. I wish his character was a little bit more consistent thoughout the MCU but that's a minor complain.
  3. Zemo: Everything about him was great, but I can't shake this feeling that maybe the movie wouldn't have been too different without him. I'm not really sure.
  4. The Vulture: His motivations are strong, and his costume looks very menacing. Even so, the dude isn't one of these chaotic villains. He does what he does for his family.
  5. Alexander Pierce: One of the most believable antagonists. He is just a bureaucrat in a suit but still managed to do an incredible amount of damage. He was a little boring, though. Would've been great if he was a better strategist.
  6. Ego, the Living Planet: His motivation was good enough and I don't think he was actually evil, he just did what he did to fulfill his goal. The problem is how the movie portrays him.
  7. Kilmonger: Even if his motivation was solid there's a lot of stuff the did in the movie that I couldn't take seriously, including beating Black Panther who can go toe to toe against Cap.
  8. Hela: She was fine. She was very powerful and evoked a threatening feeling. Her problem is that she was nothing more than destruction and lacked charisma.
  9. Ronan the Accuser: I liked his design, his motivation felt genuine, but he really needed more screen time and development.
  10. Iron Monger: He had potential but was underused and needed more development.
  11. Kaecilius: He looked menacing enough but lacked a lot of development.
  12. Red Skull: He fulfills his role in TFA. The character is generic but I think is written well enough to not portray him in a dull way.
  13. Whiplash: His motivation was interesting, but besides that we never really knew anything else about him, not even what he thinks because he doesn't express much at all.
  14. Yellowjacket: Generic bad guy. But even if he was just a businessman he actually managed to look threatening. I just think he needed actual development.
  15. Aldrich Killian: Tony hurt his feelings and now he's angry. I don't think that's motivation enough to commit the crimes he did. Not to mention he could've been a way better antagonist if he beat Tony at what he does, instead of just turning into Lava-Dude.
  16. Malekith: Another generic and forgettable bad guy. The character could not exist and the MCU would be exactly the same.
  17. Ultron: Ultron didn't make any sense, at all. Neither its character, nor its motivation, nor its plan, nothing.

Can't rate Abomination since I don't remember a lot about TIH.

I'm talking about the primary antagonists, here. Whiplash, Kilmonger, and Hela, versus Justin Hammer, Klaue, and Surtur. Who in your view is the best, and who are the worst? Here's the list I came up with:

1. Thanos
2. Kilmonger
3. Loki
4. The Vulture
5. Zemo
6. Alexander Pierce
7. Hela
9. Yellowjacket
10. Iron Monger
11. Ultron
12. The Red Skull

I genuinely think everyone listed is a good villain save for Yellowjacket. Various degrees of good because Red Skull obviously isn't Thanos, but I'd lump all of these guys (and gal) in the "good" pile.

I thought I'd throw the TV villains/secondary villains into my list to make it a bit more interesting

Kilgrave
#1) Loki
Wilson Fisk
#2) Kilmonger
#3) Thanos
Ulysses Klaue
Grant Ward
#4) Zemo
Winter Soldier
Billy Russo
#5) Alexander Pierce
#6) Hela
#7) The Vulture
#8) Ego, the Living Planet
Surtur
#9) Ronan the Accuser
Hive
Calvin Zabo
Aida

Cottonmouth
#10) The Abomination
#11) Kaicilius
#12) The Red Skull
Dormammu
#13) Ultron
Black Sky/Elektra
#14) The Iron Monger
#15) Whiplash
Madame Gao
Nobu
Jiaying
Alexandra
#16) Aldrich Killian
#17) Yellowjacket
#18) Malekith
Glen Talbot/Graviton
Diamondback

Last edited:
Thanos
Zemo
Loki
The Vulture
Alexander Pierce
Kilmonger
Ego
Ultron
The Red Skull
Yellowjacket
Kaecilius
Hela
Ronan the Accuser
Whiplash
The Iron Monger
The Abomination
Malekith
Aldrich Killian

Okay, I don't count Loki as a villain, as he's evolved into more of a Thor-frenemy.

Thanos: wow, a really well developed villain, I believe he's a serious challenger for best cbm villain, full-stop.

Hela: sultry, cool but also scary. Her deadly grace was amazing as she effortlessly took down asgard's finest, and gouged out Thor's eye.

Zemo: simple and understated, he was "the ordinary man as villain" loved the performance and the characterisation.

Killmonger: great character, great peformance and lots of rage.

Ego the Living Planet: this character could have been a disaster, but actually really worked.

Alexander Pierce: Robert Redford....nuff said !

Vulture: you put Keaton in some sort of flying costume, and it goes well. Great character.

Winter Soldier (Bucky in Zombie mode): tons of presence , scary !

Ulysses Klaue: the guy we love to hate. Will miss him - Serkis does the accent so well.

The Iron Monger: A nice, slow reveal and Bridges runs with the part, nice.

Ronan the Accuser: I know many folks found him very 1 dimensional. Me, I liked the characterisation and performance - essentially he was a giant genocidal ass hole, and I couldn't wait for him to die (the sign of a good villain).

Ultron: some good dialogue, delivered as only Spader can, but I feel he was a good rather than a great villain

Ebony Maw: sure he's just a henchman, but had tons of personality and took out Dr Strange.

Grandmaster: really just Jeff Goldblum playing....Jeff Goldblum. Funny and manaical. loved it.

Kurse: again a henchman, but he killed Thor's mom, Loki (almost) and nearly killed Thor, that's a great record for any villain

The Red Skull: a bit of a let down, Weaving is always good, but they didn't give him nearly enough to do in this role.

Dormammu: Man, loved the trippy weird visuals for the lord of the dark dimension - really captured how powerful and malicious the character is.

Kaecillius: the thing I remember about this character most is that he ran a lot - watch the film, he just runs and runs. Has one good monologue,but otherwise he's just a typical Mads Mikkelsen bad guy performance.

Malekith: could have been better, feel like Eccleston was wasted in this, as he does evil really well. It was a mistake having most of his lines in Elvish, the characterisation of Malekith was wrong, in the comics he's like Loki - but crazier, trickier and generally more nasty and cruel.

Corvus Glaive, Proxima Midnight, Cull Obsidian: I lump them together as they have very little individual personality, Cull was essentially a walking prop. However, they had a few good moments.

The Abomination: found Tim Roth a bit hard to believe in the role, and the design of the monster wasn't all that great.

YellowJacket: had some moments, but pretty generic corporate guy gone bad, and puts on a super-suit.

Killian: when nerds go bad.........

faux - Mandarin (Trevor): would be hilarious, if the characterisation wasn't a big stinking dump on top of Iron Man's best villain.

Whiplash: Mickey Rourke mumbled his way through this, and I kept wondering why -given that his original exoskeleton only covered a very small part of his body- Tony didn't just blast a big hole in him.

Last edited:
Outside of the villains of the past couple of years and Loki the MCU villains are utterly forgettable.

BUT there is a very good reason for this. Marvel send so much time concentrating on the hero that leaves little time for the villain.

Let's examine the villains that have worked;
Thanos
Had the most screen time.

Loki
Established over several movies

Killmonger
T'challa was already established in Civil War. Significant time was used to explain Eric's motivation.

Vulture
Vulture's motivation is established in the beginning of the movie

That's why these villains worked.

I haven't gotten to Black Panther and chose not to watch a number of them before that, but:

1. Winter Soldier
  2. Yellowjacket
  3. The Red Skull
  4. Crossbones
  5. Brandt
  6. Alexander Pierce
  7. Whiplash
  8. Zemo
  9. Trevor Slattery
  10. Arnim Zola
  11. Justin Hammer
  12. Raza
  13. Savin
  14. Maya Hansen
  15. Wolfgang von Strucker
  16. Loki
  17. Aldrich Killian
  18. Ultron
  19. The Iron Monger
  20. The Other

my top 10 Marvel Villain film list.

1- thanos
2- Magneto
3 Loki
4- hela
5- Kilmonger
6- Green Goblin
7- Winter Soldier
8- Mystique
9- Eric Stroker
10- Jared Nomak,(Reaper- blade 2)

Last edited:
  1. Thanos
  2. Loki
  3. Kilmonger
  4. The Vulture
  5. Zemo
  6. Alexander Pierce
  7. Hela
  9. The Iron Monger
  10. Ultron
  11. The Red Skull
  12. The Abomination
  13. Aldrich Killian
  14. Kaicilius
  15. Yellowjacket
  16. Ronan the Accuser
  17. Whiplash
  18. Malekith

1. Hela
2. Killmonger
3. Loki
4. Thanos
5. Red Skull
6. Iron Monger
7. Ultron
8. Vulture
9. Abomination
10. Pierce
11.Ronan
12. Whiplash
13. Ego
14. Malekith
15. Kaecilius
16.Yellowjacket
17. Killian
18. Zemo

1. Thanos
Motivation is better than in the comics.

2. Killmonger
A tragic character who changes the hero for the better

3. Vulture
Truly menacing.

4. Loki
More of an anti-hero than a villain. Would be higher but I thought he was poor in Thor. Also, has had several movies to flesh him out.

The rest for more (including Hela and Ego) is completely forgettable.

A mention has to go out to Netflix Marvel villains.
Kingpin
Killgrave
Cottonmouth
Brilliant villains but don't make the list because they have several episodes to flesh out their character. A luxury the movie villains don't have.

1. Killmonger
2. Vulture
3. Loki
4. Thanos
5. Red Skull
Distance between 4 and 5.

Grade A: Vulture, Kilmonger, Zemo, Loki and Thanos.

Grade B: Yellowjacket, Abomination, Iron Monger, Alexander Pierce and Ego.

Grade C: Aldrich Killian, Whiplash, Hela and Ultron.

Grade F, in order: Red Skull, Ronan The Accuser, Kacillius and finally Maliketh.

I feel like i did this already in another thread, so instead I'm going to do least to most evil.

LEAST EVIL (best)
Zemo - Saw The Avengers as a threat to innocents, disassembled them with minimal civilian casualties.
Loki - teeters between good and evil, continually threatens universal stability and then restores it. Borderline anti-hero. Mischievous af
Killmonger - Rightfully challenged T'challa to the throne and "won" fairly. Did despicable things to achieve such.
Whiplash - Saw Iron Man as more of a threat than a savior, wanted to discredit him by defeating him. Also jealous revenge. killed minimal innocents.
Aldrich Killian - Overzealous scientist and capitalist. Mentally unstable and murderous.
Ultron - poorly programmed to protect mankind by destroying it. Not really his fault. He's a robot.
Ego, the Living Planet - Found his calling through assimilation of all life-bearing planets. Not really his fault. We also consume lesser lifeforms.
Kaecilius - Misplaced loyalty to an evil demon demigod.
The Vulture - Illegally sold dangerous weaponry out of misplaced self-righteousness against the upper-class
Thanos - Tried to murder trillions (more?) to save the rest.
Malekith - Tried to usher in universal darkness (heat death?) so his people could flourish. (i guess?)
The Abomination - Addicted to power, murdered and mutinied to get it and use it.
Hela - Rightful ruler of asgard after Odin's death, murdered many to usurp throne.
The Iron Monger - Attempted to murder his best friend's son for money and corporate takeover.
Yellowjacket - Profiteered and colluded with HYDRA for personal gain.
Alexander Pierce - Tried to commit murder of millions for world security.
The Red Skull - Desired world domination for potential/supposed betterment of mankind.
Ronan the Accuser - Tried to commit genocide upon a planet for revenge.
MOST EVIL (worst)

That's cool. I hadn't thought of making a list like that.
I mostly agree but in terms of consequences/lives they planned to take Malekith, Ego and Thanos are far and away the most evil characters.

I'd have said Vulture was the least evil. As for Zemo, he bombed the UN and murdered a psychiatrist so he could impersonate him. He wasn't genocidal or anything but he didn't exactly go out of his way to avoid innocent casualties either.

Last edited:
Thanos
Loki
Vulture
Ultron
Pierce

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"