Hype Movie Club

Finding a copy of 1941 has been more difficult than I anticipated, but I finally found a double blu-ray with both the theatrical and extended cut, and it should arrive next week! Can't wait.

At least that one I genuinely don't own. When we had The Thing on the program I complained about my library DVD copy being unwatchable. A week ago I noticed The Thing blu-ray on my shelf :doh: I have a docs file that I update frequently about my physical and digital movies, but apparently, I never read it lol.

Last edited:
Who Framed Roger Rabbit
43cb6b85f962e2f11bc6704623a078152a1bc0a8.gif

Still an impressive technical feat. The seamlessness between the animation and live action bits is absolutely amazing. I love these types of films, and it's a shame the ones in the same vein never reached the same kind of quality, even if they have their own charm.

Finding a copy of 1941 has been more difficult than I anticipated, but I finally found a double blu-ray with both the theatrical and extended cut, and it should arrive next week! Can't wait.

At least that one I genuinely don't own. When we had The Thing on the program I complained about my library DVD copy being unwatchable. A week ago I noticed The Thing blu-ray on my shelf :doh: I have a docs file that I update frequently about my physical and digital movies, but apparently, I never read it lol.
You can rent it on like Amazon Prime for 3.99 I believe on a 2 day rental.

I've taken Flight with Denzel. Based on the poster I thought it'd be more Oscarbaity, but there's a grit to the film I didn't see coming. I liked it quite a bit, Denzel is incredible but the entire cast brings it, Kelly Reilly in particular, whom I've loved since Pride & Prejudice. I walked in expecting Sully (which would make for an excellent and entirely obvious double feature with Flight), but I was positively surprised by how nasty this film allows its cast to get, the aforementioned grit really evolves the drama and makes its lead a truly interesting character that kept me guessing. Flight does run a little long and the ending in particular gets a little drawn out and unnecessarily schmaltzy, but it's a good picture. Cool soundtrack too.

@flickchick85

For future nom flicks down the road. I think it be nice to have only foreign film nominees at least once. We can keep that pool small-ish, like 4-5, ease some folks in. I don't know, it could work, eh?.

Also, if I'm not here. For the love of the film Gods...Someone please always nominate 'Seconds'...Not enough have seen this wonderful film.

3da4d251-e732-488e-8abb-28d6de66e35b.jpg

Preparing for my Zemeckis binge on my days off this week like the great procrastinator I am, but first....

Y'all ready for next month's category? I'm a little delayed on this one, but for good reason: I'm changing the process again! :funny: This time, we're not doing separate nomination and voting periods. At least, when we're doing filmmakers and choosing from such a relatively small pool of films, your nominations and votes will be one in the same. That's right, this time, your nominations ARE your votes. Quite simply, the movies named the most will be the selections for March. So with that in mind, our category for next month, in honor of both the releases of Dune: Part 2 and Drive-Away Dolls, will be Denis Villeneuve's favorite directing-duo:

e84efe-20090917-joel-and-ethan-coen.jpg

The Coen Brothers

Choose UP TO FOUR Coen Bros movies you'd like us to do for the club next month, and remember, they have to have been directors or writers on the film to be eligible, not just producers. Also yes, if only one Coen Bro was involved, it's still eligible. Voting will be open through Thursday!

Jumping back into the club because I've missed it and I should have a little more free time in March.

For my picks I'll stick to the pattern and pick two I've seen and two I haven't:

The Big Lebowski - Might be my favorite movie of theirs
No Country For Old Men - Haven't watched it since it came out, though I've revisited the scene of Anton Chigurh in the gas station numerous times because it's such a classic

As for the two I haven't:

O Brother, Where Art Thou?
Raising Arizona

Crimewave is so underrated. I think it's the only time the Coens and Sam Raimi worked together and you can see all their influences on later films.

Ok folks, time for our March selections! We've got 4 this month. Our winner, with 6 votes:

Raising Arizona (1987)
418MR66yjVL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Directed by: Joel & Ethan Coen
Written by: Joel & Ethan Coen
Starring: Nicolas Cage, Holly Hunter, Trey Wilson, John Goodman
What’s It About? When a childless couple--an ex-con and an ex-cop--decide to help themselves to one of another family's quintuplets, their lives become more complicated than they anticipated.

Our runner-up, with 5 votes:

O Brother, Where Art Thou? (2000)

51O2hcpyJBL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Written by: Homer, Ethan Coen & Joel Coen
Starring: George Clooney, John Turturro, Tim Blake Nelson, John Goodman, Holly Hunter & Chris Thomas King
What's It About? In the deep south during the 1930s, three escaped convicts search for hidden treasure while a relentless lawman pursues them.

And our final 2 selections, with 4 votes each:
A Serious Man (2009)
41FVBTcWplL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Written by: Joel & Ethan Coen
Starring: Michael Stuhlbarg, Richard Kind, Sari Lennick & Fred Melamed
What's It About? Larry Gopnik, a Midwestern physics teacher, watches his life unravel over multiple sudden incidents. Though seeking meaning and answers amidst his turmoils, he seems to keep sinking.

No Country for Old Men (2007)
51vMJ9L3ivL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Directed by:
Joel & Ethan Coen
Written by: Joel Coen, Ethan Coen & Cormac McCarthy
Starring: Tommy Lee Jones, Josh Brolin, Javier Bardem, Woody Harrelson & Kelly Macdonald
What's It About? Violence and mayhem ensue after a hunter stumbles upon the aftermath of a drug deal gone wrong and over two million dollars in cash near the Rio Grande.

Fantastic picks yet again, y'all! Thanks for voting!

Starting to chip away at Coen Bros. month with O Brother, Where Art Thou?

The only thing I was really familiar with about it prior to watching was that catchy "I Am A Man of Constant Sorrow" song but I really enjoyed it. Solid performances across the board, I really liked Clooney and Tim Blake Nelson in this but the real star of the show apart from the music was Roger Deakins's cinematography. It has such a timeless look to it that it easily looks like a film that was shot yesterday.

Starting to chip away at Coen Bros. month with O Brother, Where Art Thou?

The only thing I was really familiar with about it prior to watching was that catchy "I Am A Man of Constant Sorrow" song but I really enjoyed it. Solid performances across the board, I really liked Clooney and Tim Blake Nelson in this but the real star of the show apart from the music was Roger Deakins's cinematography. It has such a timeless look to it that it easily looks like a film that was shot yesterday.
That song was performed by The Soggy Bottom Boys featuring Dan Tyminski of Alison Krauss and Union Station. I have a concert DVD where Dan joked that his wife wished he looked like George Clooney since it was his voice coming out of Clooney's mouth. If you enjoy great bluegrass Union Station is definitely worth checking out. I've had the pleasure of seeing them live twice and it was well worth the ticket price. :)

That song was performed by The Soggy Bottom Boys featuring Dan Tyminski of Alison Krauss and Union Station. I have a concert DVD where Dan joked that his wife wished he looked like George Clooney since it was his voice coming out of Clooney's mouth. If you enjoy great bluegrass Union Station is definitely worth checking out. I've had the pleasure of seeing them live twice and it was well worth the ticket price. :)
Nice, I'll check them out. Along those lines I also seem to remember the O Brother soundtrack being fairly popular around the time it came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"