Hype Movie Club

That song was performed by The Soggy Bottom Boys featuring Dan Tyminski of Alison Krauss and Union Station. I have a concert DVD where Dan joked that his wife wished he looked like George Clooney since it was his voice coming out of Clooney's mouth. If you enjoy great bluegrass Union Station is definitely worth checking out. I've had the pleasure of seeing them live twice and it was well worth the ticket price. :)
The Soggy Bottom Boys? What kind of a name for a band is that? Did one of them have to wear a diaper or something? :funny:

I didn't come up with it, lol. I don't know what they were thinking other than it was vaguely funny. :p

They don't even really explain the name in the movie either, it's just a name Clooney's character pulls out of thin air, lol.
Probably supposed to be a variation of The Foggy Mountain Boys (I think that was their name, anyway).

Finally caught up on 'Flight' from last month - A really basic and trite addiction drama that would have been totally forgettable if it hadn't stumbled into the hands of Denzel and Zemeckis. Denzel spins a golden performance out of the straw he's given and Zemeckis manages to keep things feeling kinetic even when the tension on page is dragging to a standstill. Also, John Goodman's two scenes are incredible, peak guest star energy maximizing a bare minimum screentime to make a memorable character.

Ok y'all, I'm traveling for work but will hopefully get time for a Coen Bros. marathon when I get back. In the meantime, it's time for April's category:

The 1970's!

Despite going back to a decade as our category for the month, we're gonna keep the same voting method we used last time as it's just less work for me, lol. So again, your nominations ARE your votes! But since we're choosing from a much bigger pool of movies, I'm gonna let y'all suggest UP TO FIVE picks this time. Voting will be open 'til Thursday. Choose wisely!

I went back a little bit and watched Eyes Wide Shut (August selection) today.

Look at this fool:

What's The Last Movie You Watched? - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 47

I bought it blind on blu-ray seven years ago and disliked it, I even ended up selling that disc. Today... I loved it. Went from two-and-a-half stars to four-and-a-half. I don't think I had the patience for it back in the day, it's a heavy film with a ton of slowly delivered dialogue. I found it very enjoyable this time, the pacing fits so well with its themes, mysticism, and audio-visual delights. Kidman and Cruise are ridiculously attractive in this.

Been slacking with this month's selections.

As for next month:

Alien (Alien Day on the 26th)
The Deer Hunter (Never seen it)
Don't Look Now (Never seen it)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers
Zardoz (lol)

Ah the '70's. A decade which many scholars feel was the peak of asterism in film...

I tried to come up with a short list of classics that are easily available on streaming, at least here in Canada:

Jaws
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
Saturday Night Fever
The Deer Hunter

American Graffiti

My picks for this month:

Zardoz (never heard of it)
ba8e072b-37af-4318-8861-ac85c21acb93_text.gif

Five 70s movies I've been meaning to watch:

Sorcerer
The Deer Hunter
Serpico
All the President’s Men
The Brood

Actually can we all vote for the Planet of the Apes series since the new one is coming out in early May?

The original "Apes" were long before my time, but I do like the more recent ones with Andy Serkis. I'm hoping the new one lives up to those.

I had a good time with Raising Arizona. It was nice to see Cage in something worthwhile, the last film I watched from him was Primal (2019) and the sooner that's forgotten the better.

Plenty of good performances in this but Frances McDormand is fantastic in her small role, I think this might've been the funniest I've ever seen her.

The movie was surprisingly touching as well, I wasn't really expecting that with how unhinged it was for the most part. Great balance of comedy and heart, with a fun edge of magical realism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"