Hype Movie Club

You should see Bringing Out the Dead if you haven't yet. Underseen Scorsese and Cage is in his bag.

That does sound excellent, thank you for the recommendation! That's the only Scorsese and Paul Schrader collaboration I haven't seen.

I see you picked The Getaway. Good choice and really underrated.
Yeah, I love the Steve McQueen/Ali McGraw classic.

I actually saw the remake with Alec Baldwin and Kim Bassinger in the theaters during the mid 90’s. My date and I were the only people in the theater aside from another couple in the back row. The remake was really boring and at one point I heard rustling in the back of the theater and I looked back and saw the other couple making the beast with two backs in the last row.

You should see Bringing Out the Dead if you haven't yet. Underseen Scorsese and Cage is in his bag.
I really wish Scorsese would work with Cage again.

Votes for this month (even though I know I've been terrible at this, but Grad School is almost done!)

Blue Collar (1978)
The Heartbreak Kid (1972)
The Last Detail (1973)
Sorcerer (1977)
Zardoz (1974 - Y'all have me intrigued)

Sorry for delay y'all. Life got in the way. But I have returned with our April selections! Votes were highly spread out this time (we had more than a page worth of nominees! :eek: ), so while our winners had relatively low vote counts, they were very clearly the faves. In first place, our top pick with 5 votes:

Zardoz (1974)

51eKBisnVCL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Directed by: John Boorman
Written by: John Boorman
Starring: Sean Connery, Charlotte Rampling and Sara Kestelman
What's It About? In the late 23rd century, a savage trained only to kill finds a way into the community of bored immortals that alone preserves humanity's achievements.

Our runner-up, with 4 votes:

The Deer Hunter (1978)

il_fullxfull.3212993967_n5qo.jpg

Directed by:
Michael Cimino
Written by: Michael Cimino, Deric Washburn & Louis Garfinkle
Starring: Robert DeNiro, Christopher Walken, John Cazale, John Savage & Meryl Streep
What's it About? An in-depth examination of the ways in which the Vietnam War impacts and disrupts the lives of several friends in a small steel mill town in Pennsylvania.

And we had a tie for 3rd place, with 3 votes each:

Sorcerer (1977)
51a+aMzxLOL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Directed by: William Friedkin
Written by: Walon Green, Georges Arnaud, William Friedkin
Starring: Roy Scheider, Bruno Cremer, Francisco Rabal, Amidou & Peter Capell
What's it About? Four unfortunate men from different parts of the globe agree to risk their lives transporting gallons of nitroglycerin across dangerous Latin American jungle.

And finally,

The Alien Series (1979, 1986, 1992, 1997, 2012, 2017)

9-alien-movie-poster-alien-1979-jean-darmel.jpg

Directed by: Ridley Scott, James Cameron, David Fincher, Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Written by: Dan O'Bannon, Ronald Shusett, James Cameron, David Giler, Walter Hill, Larry Ferguson, Joss Whedon, John Spaihts, Damon Lindelof, John Logan, Dante Harper
Starring: Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt, John Hurt, Ian Holm, Harry Dean Stanton, Veronica Cartwright, Michael Biehn, Paul Reiser, Lance Henriksen, Charles S. Dutton, Charles Dance, Winona Ryder, Ron Perlman, Dan Hedaya, Brad Dourif, Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Guy Pearce, Charlize Theron, Katherine Waterston, Billy Crudup, Danny McBride, Demian Bichir
What's it About? A series of deadly encounters, predominantly spanning the 21st and 24th centuries, between humanity and a hostile, endoparasitoid, extraterrestrial species.

Watch as many entries as you'd like, but for the purposes of this club, at least try to watch the first one. Personally, I recommend the first 3. That's right, three!

And those are our April picks!!! LMAO I can't believe Zardoz won. You guys are the best. :funny:

I have seen the Alien films and am intimately familiar with all of them without having seen them. I rated them all earlier today in the Romulus thread:

Alien - 5/5 Masterpiece
Aliens - 5/5 Masterpiece

Both are 2 of my favorite films. I like them equally. Alien I would say is my favorite overall Horror film ever. It's just so atmospheric and amazing.

Now....the rest

Alien 3

This movie isn't horrible. But it isn't good. There is some signs of young Fincher in here, especially in the Special Edition cut that restores many original scenes. But it's also essentially Alien but worse. Much worse. I also don't love what they do with Hicks and Newt. Very bad creative choice. But....it's okay.

2.5/5

Alien Resurrection

Some pretty inventive scenes, like a part where the Aliens kill one to escape a room. But it has the worst aspects of Whedon dialogue and is just bad. The plot is nonsensical and it's a slog to watch

1.5/5

AvP: Alien vs Predator

This movie is bad....but entertaining. Classic example of a movie that's so bad it's good. The plot is nonsense in a late Showa era Godzilla movie kind of way and the movie gives no caps about the plot lol. But the monster fights are fun and the transforming temple provides some interesting setting for action.

3/5

Alien vs Predator: Requim

Garbage. Complete garbage. Bad characters. Bad writing. Shots you cannot even see what's going on cause they are not lit properly. Boring as hell. One of the worst movies of this budget scale I have ever seen. No redeeming qualities. At all

1/5

Prometheus

Interesting ideas in a nonsensical script. This feels like it needed 2 or 3 drafts to iron out the kinks. It's shot well, though. David is a great character. There is stuff to enjoy, but the sheer stupidity of the characters is irredeemable

2.5/5

Alien Covenant

Movie is like you put Prometheus and Alien into a blender. First half feels like a Prometheus sequel
and 2nd half an Alien rehash. It's weird. Neither concept is served for that reason. But isolating entertaining things here.

2/5

I love the first 2 films, but this is a great example of a franchise that just....should stop. The ideas are gone. Just move on to a new IP. You made 2 legit classics. You have nothing more to prove Alien!

I also saw Zardoz a while back. Man oh man, that's an unforgettable experience. There isn't another film like it, that's for sure lol! But....that doesn't mean it's necessarily a fun watch. It's so bizarre and weird, but also very slow very often. But I do think it's a movie everyone should experience for the fact it is truly unique.

But I would rate it a 3/5 as far as actual watching it quality lol! But a 5/5 on the fascination scale

Sorry for delay y'all. Life got in the way. But I have returned with our April selections! Votes were highly spread out this time (we had more than a page worth of nominees! :eek: ), so while our winners had relatively low vote counts, they were very clearly the faves. In first place, our top pick with 5 votes:

Zardoz (1974)

51eKBisnVCL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Directed by: John Boorman
Written by: John Boorman
Starring: Sean Connery, Charlotte Rampling and Sara Kestelman
What's It About? In the late 23rd century, a savage trained only to kill finds a way into the community of bored immortals that alone preserves humanity's achievements.

Our runner-up, with 4 votes:

The Deer Hunter (1978)

il_fullxfull.3212993967_n5qo.jpg

Directed by:
Michael Cimino
Written by: Michael Cimino, Deric Washburn & Louis Garfinkle
Starring: Robert DeNiro, Christopher Walken, John Cazale, John Savage & Meryl Streep
What's it About? An in-depth examination of the ways in which the Vietnam War impacts and disrupts the lives of several friends in a small steel mill town in Pennsylvania.

And we had a tie for 3rd place, with 3 votes each:

Sorcerer (1977)
51a+aMzxLOL._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg

Directed by: William Friedkin
Written by: Walon Green, Georges Arnaud, William Friedkin
Starring: Roy Scheider, Bruno Cremer, Francisco Rabal, Amidou & Peter Capell
What's it About? Four unfortunate men from different parts of the globe agree to risk their lives transporting gallons of nitroglycerin across dangerous Latin American jungle.

And finally,

The Alien Series (1979, 1986, 1992, 1997, 2012, 2017)

9-alien-movie-poster-alien-1979-jean-darmel.jpg

Directed by: Ridley Scott, James Cameron, David Fincher, Jean-Pierre Jeunet
Written by: Dan O'Bannon, Ronald Shusett, James Cameron, David Giler, Walter Hill, Larry Ferguson, Joss Whedon, John Spaihts, Damon Lindelof, John Logan, Dante Harper
Starring: Sigourney Weaver, Tom Skerritt, John Hurt, Ian Holm, Harry Dean Stanton, Veronica Cartwright, Michael Biehn, Paul Reiser, Lance Henriksen, Charles S. Dutton, Charles Dance, Winona Ryder, Ron Perlman, Dan Hedaya, Brad Dourif, Noomi Rapace, Michael Fassbender, Guy Pearce, Charlize Theron, Katherine Waterston, Billy Crudup, Danny McBride, Demian Bichir
What's it About? A series of deadly encounters, predominantly spanning the 21st and 24th centuries, between humanity and a hostile, endoparasitoid, extraterrestrial species.

Watch as many entries as you'd like, but for the purposes of this club, at least try to watch the first one. Personally, I recommend the first 3. That's right, three!

And those are our April picks!!! LMAO I can't believe Zardoz won. You guys are the best. :funny:

I'm excited to watch Zardoz, but it's another one that's going to take an effort from me to find. It doesn't exist over here on streaming, rental, or even in my local library. It's not available on any U.S. service that I could easily VPN, and my current antivirus makes the seven seas a struggle and it's not an option that I preferably use. Ugh. I'll try to find a physical copy.

Sorcerer is an interesting one, I consider The Wages of Fear pretty much a perfect film, so it's going to be fascinating to see what new this second adaptation of the book has to offer.

And yay for Alien! I've never seen Resurrection and I'm happy to revisit the rest of the series, we'll all be ready for Romulus in good time.

I'm excited to watch Zardoz, but it's another one that's going to take an effort from me to find. It doesn't exist over here on streaming, rental, or even in my local library. It's not available on any U.S. service that I could easily VPN, and my current antivirus makes the seven seas a struggle and it's not an option that I preferably use. Ugh. I'll try to find a physical copy.

Sorcerer is an interesting one, I consider The Wages of Fear pretty much a perfect film, so it's going to be fascinating to see what new this second adaptation of the book has to offer.

And yay for Alien! I've never seen Resurrection and I'm happy to revisit the rest of the series, we'll all be ready for Romulus in good time.
Have you tried Amazon or Apple+? Maybe you can watch it on there.

Alien

tumblr_inline_oqguznrWHr1sgm97w_500.gifv

Am I the only one who finds this chestburster adorable? Just look at that cute little face. :hehe:

If someone were to ask me which Alien character I relate to the most, I would say Brett. I would very much act like him in the event of a xenomorph outbreak.

ef15220337853adffe845ad51b778a709ea2a0e2.gif

yeah usually most movies like this are at night they only have afternoon shows for kid/family films I was quite annoyed that I missed it at least I have it on blu ray

got off to a good start this month for once

Alien (1979)

1d23c04d6b500d5b966cd5d5f701e05f.gif

Incredibly well-made on every level, with some of the greatest production design of all time, IMO. Brilliant execution of a classic story that makes it easy to see how it remains iconic 45 years later. Great movie to kick off the month with.

I've also kicked off the April selection with Alien. What can you say about Alien, one of the greatest sci-fi films ever made and one of my favorite films from childhood and onwards? It's brilliant, genuinely so. I've seen it countless times, but this time I paid special attention to the production values, which still impress. This film doesn't age, everything from the set design to the special effects are painstakingly crafted and beautiful to behold. The sense of scale is impressive and everything is heightened by the iconic sound design and measured soundtrack. The pacing is also one of my favorite parts of the film, so many of these unforgettable, terrifying scenes are paced with such restraint that every suspenseful turn of events is heightened to the umpteenth degree, like the scene of Brett looking for the cat or Captain Dallas in the air ducts. Just excellent, I could rewatch it immediately, but instead of that, I'm moving on to Aliens. That's going to be an interesting rewatch, I've seen it only once as an adult and this revisit has been long in the planning. Last time I liked it quite a bit, but I don't hold the same reverence for it as I do for the first instalment. Let's see if that changes, I'm certainly open to falling in love with it.

Aliens

dbf92744b97c6d8807556caac82e0a9649ad2b0b.gifv

Did I watch this a ridiculous amount of times in my youth? Yes, yes I did.

Did it ever get boring? Nope, not at all.

This is regarded as one of the best sequels of all time and rightfully so. All hail James Cameron.

Alien³

Au contraire, my dear critic, I actually quite enjoy this one. Turns out that the Alien series already has it's own back to basics film ala Prey, just with a whole lot more nihilism.

Not really bothered by
Newt and Hicks being killed off as much as Bishop being rewritten into a villain. That's the one that's always bothered me more.

I really need to make time for The Deer Hunter and Sorcerer, it's been on my must see list since forever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"