Hype's I Love Sushi thread (don't be scurred)

this place by my work has an interesting special maki that's delicious:

mozzerella cheese w/ onion & scallion - mozzerella cheese w/ onion & scallion rolled into a maki and deep fried tempura style.

YUM :woot:

Be careful. My sister was a waitress at a real old-school sushi bar, where the Japanese chef absolutely refused to make yam tempura roll. When the front-of-house manager practically commanded him to do so to accomodate some vegetarian customers, they actually got into a physical altercation. Seriously.

Are you serious? That sounds kind of ridiculous....

Some old fashioned Japanese folks take their sushi seriously. It's almost like an art form, hence their blowfish sushi. To be able to make one is to be a master of the art.

Now to these folks the westernized shushi is just an insult.

I want to try fugu so bad. I can't wait to get to Japan where I'll hopefully be able to find a place that is licensed to serve it.

Seriously, I'm not kidding. Although if you ever watch Kitchen Nightmares, either the UK or USA version, a violent atmosphere in any restaurant isn't unheard of.

Ummm....knowsbleed is now officially awesome? Why did I not know about this thread?!

Why am I just discovering this thread now?!?!?!?

Since this is the topic of sushi, does anyone else hate how you'll go to a sushi restaurant and they will call maki, temaki and nigiri: "sushi", "sushi roll" and "sashimi" respectively? Like as if to completely ruin the point of even calling it by the Japanese name.

Sushi refers to any of the zushi, cooked. Sashimi is the zushi raw. Makizushi is what they tend to refer to as sushi, Nigirizushi is what these places call sashimi, and temakizushi is the "sushi roll". So what the hell?

Since this is the topic of sushi, does anyone else hate how you'll go to a sushi restaurant and they will call maki, temaki and nigiri: "sushi", "sushi roll" and "sashimi" respectively? Like as if to completely ruin the point of even calling it by the Japanese name.

Sushi refers to any of the zushi, cooked. Sashimi is the zushi raw. Makizushi is what they tend to refer to as sushi, Nigirizushi is what these places call sashimi, and temakizushi is the "sushi roll". So what the hell?
You know what I hate?

When the same restaurants give me chop sticks with my nigiri! :cmad:

You know what I hate?

When the same restaurants give me chop sticks with my nigiri! :cmad:

OH!! I get it!! lol You mean that they give you chopsticks, despite being completely fake...(I misread it and was soooo confused)

Yeah, I agree. It's like we're not really Japanese, but we're going to make money off of being asian. So despite being korean and calling most of these things by the wrong/western name...Hey! Here's chopsticks!

Last edited:
Silverstein is the weirdest guy at the Hype... bar none.

My favorite is the one with natto beans in it. So delicious and healthy despite the 'um interesting smell. As far as raw fish, hamachi all the way. Yum, yum.

this place by my work has an interesting special maki that's delicious:

mozzerella cheese w/ onion & scallion - mozzerella cheese w/ onion & scallion rolled into a maki and deep fried tempura style.

YUM :woot:

I've had something like this but it was with cream cheese. Tasty.

Sushi... that food that many people are afraid to try but once you develop a taste for it you can't get enough of it (get your minds out the gutter :cmad:). I love it and wish I could eat it every day but it can get pretty expensive.

800px-2007feb-sushi-odaiba-manytypes.jpg

So what kind of sushi do you like and what are the more exotic ones you've tried. My goal when I get to Japan is to try fugu (blow/puffer fish). I've heard that you can only get it in places that are certified to serve it due to the poisonous aspect of the fish and that when you eat it, it has a numbing effect. Awesome! :up:
What is that stuff on the top right, that looks like salmon? I had it and it tasted odd.

http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/cr/cr_seafoodwatch/content/media/MBA_SeafoodWatch_SushiGuide.pdf

I really encourage sushi lovers to check out this guide to sustainable dining. A lot of what is served at sushi restaurants could be part of a highly unsustainable fishery. The guide lists the good (sustainable) items, the good alternatives (fairly sustainable choices), and the items to avoid.

Currently, many fish populations are severely over-fished. It's a problem that can have astounding ramifications, if current trends continue and if people don't do something about it.

This guide is a PDF (56k - CAUTION) and is meant to be used as a pocket/wallet guide. I encourage you guys to at least take a look!

Dragon roll with other rolls at this new sushi joint down the street from my apartment. There aren't too many good sushi places in the town where I live in... so for the short time I'm going to be here I'll partake in the raw fish goodness while I can.

DSC03911.jpg

The salmon was delish and the avocado was very fresh. And the eel... amazing in my mouth. :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"