I cried,.. ...

Varient

Guru for Geeks
Reaction score
Children Die Trapped In Burning Spring Valley Home

Last Updated:
02-07-08 at 8:56PM

An 18-year-old man's attempt to stoke a fireplace with gasoline in his grandparents' East County home ignited a fast-moving fire that trapped and killed his three young cousins, authorities reported today.

Abbey Van Buskirk, 6, and her brothers, Andrew, 4, and Austin, 2, died last night as flames gutted the house in the 9000 block of Avocado Street in Spring Valley, according to the county Medical Examiner's Office.

The blaze erupted about 10:40 p.m., when the children's cousin, who was watching a movie on television with a group of friends, tried to stoke a dying fire in the home's fireplace by pouring gasoline on it, officials said.

One of the young man's companions, Cameron Bartlett, told reporters the gas spilled on the floor, setting it ablaze.

All the adults were able to escape after several of them tried in vain to save the three young siblings.

Neighbor Joanne Collier described hearing the children's shrieks as the house became engulfed in flames.

"It was a hysterical cry," she told a local news station. "You know, you could hear them screaming, and it was just -- it was horrible."

It took firefighters about 15 minutes to extinguish the flames. They then found the bodies of the children in the charred ruins of the house, said Sgt. Everard Dayrit of the sheriff's bomb-arson unit.

The youngsters' cousin, whose name was not immediately released, was taken to UCSD Medical Center in Hillcrest for treatment of serious burns to one of his hands.

The children had recently moved with their family to San Diego County from Texas, a coroner's investigator said.

On the radio,.. they said that ALL THE ADULTS GOT OUT OKAY,..... BUT THE SCREAMS of the three little kids went on and on.

HOW COULD THIS HAPPEN????

IT was an accident, people get in accidents all over the time, let's not get too attached because in about 12 seconds, more children from around the world will again die in an accident of some shape or form.

God, that's just horrible. Those screams would probably haunt me every day of my life.

IT was an accident, people get in accidents all over the time, let's not get too attached because in about 12 seconds, more children from around the world will again die in an accident of some shape or form.

I would've died trying to save them.

I know me,... I couldn't have stood there and listened to those children.

V.

God, that's just horrible. Those screams would probably haunt me every day of my life.

I know,.. I'm a parent,.. I shed tears and feel som serious hatred for people I don't know.

I would've died trying to save them.

I know me,... I couldn't have stood there and listened to those children.

V.
I hardly doubt that you would have to be fair....

Let's not throw complete reasoning out of the window.

Served in the Coast Guard, Fought more than one fire,... been involved in more than one tragedy,.... hearing those children I could not have sat still.

Sigh.

What a horrible way to die.

Thats sad. :csad:

I guess that 18 year old feels like a real buttmuncher right now. :csad:

Well this is a positive story to read in the morning.:dry:

This was on the local news yesterday. I'm a few miles away from there. Very tragic. My heart goes out to the family...I know how they must feel..

Man this thread bumped down to the third page FAST!:whatever:

Thats sad. :csad:

I guess that 18 year old feels like a real buttmuncher right now. :csad:

Gee I hope so.

In fact,.. I want their mother to beat his azz. (Not the father,... Dad would probably kill him.)

This was on the local news yesterday. I'm a few miles away from there. Very tragic, and it never ceases to stop. My heart goes out to the family...I know how they must feel..

You lose someone too?

Horrible.

jag

Yup,... and scary,... how fast does a fire burn that you can't save babies?

I'm crying just thinking about how it must have been for them,....

That's so awful...I'm sure the hardest part must have been knowing there was nothing they could do to get to those kids.

Yup,... and scary,... how fast does a fire burn that you can't save babies?

I'm crying just thinking about how it must have been for them,....

I'm guessing that the materials that the accelerant (gasoline) was spilled onto were already highly flammable in the first place and the whole thing went up very fast. The adults probably panicked, tried to put the thing out in futile fashion and ate up valuable time doing so that could/should have been used to get the kids out of the house immediately. Very sad that kids had to die to pay for someone else's stupidity. Who the f**k puts gasoline on a fire in a fireplace? Someone who is terminally stupid, that's who. They're in San Diego of all places, too, so it's not like it's horribly cold there and a fire is a must anyway. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

jag

How can you question someone else when they state what they would do in a particular situation? People know themselves better than some random, internet observer.

I have a child. I would run into any burning building or in front of any moving force to protect my child, period, even if I had time to think about it and even if I did so knowing I would not survive. Who the hell are you to question the overwhelming parental force that compels adults to protect children in dangerous situations. The fact that these adults didn't is the EXCEPTION. Obviously YOU would not be concerned enough to give up your own life for a child, but that's you.

I'm guessing that the materials that the accelerant (gasoline) was spilled onto were already highly flammable in the first place and the whole thing went up very fast. The adults probably panicked, tried to put the thing out in futile fashion and ate up valuable time doing so that could/should have been used to get the kids out of the house immediately. Very sad that kids had to die to pay for someone else's stupidity. Who the f**k puts gasoline on a fire in a fireplace? Someone who is terminally stupid, that's who. They're in San Diego of all places, too, so it's not like it's horribly cold there and a fire is a must anyway. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

jag

Probably where my anger comes from,.. the sheer stupidity of what started it,.. and the lack of priority on the part of the grandparents,.. AND the lack of details as far as who went how far to save the kids.

Where were the parents?

What was the punk azz teen doing with gasoline in the house?

HOW CAN YOU FORGET THE LITTLE KIDS?????

v.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"